Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hello

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyPin View Post
Oh I appreciate the responses. I really don't want this thread to be a about the 2nd Amendment, so I am sorry I brought it up. Especially if the resulting discussion evolves around the beating of an unarmed citizen by the police. The Rodney King fiasco was an unfortunate result of aggressive law enforcement bullying a citizen. It is unfortunate that the citizens showed their displeasure by rioting, but this isn't a chicken/egg thing.

I understand it is nice to have a weapon around if somebody breaks into one's house, but I hope it doesn't come to that. I have been able to talk myself out of situations in the past, but like I said I am concerned about the boldness of people that don't necessarily agree with how I conduct my life trying to be mean to me.

I will look up some local gun ranges and see what I can find out. I did not hear an answer about what happens if a rented gun blows up and hurts me or my partner. Thanks.
The ranges carry insurance policies. The gun manufacturers carry insurance policies. The ammunition makers carry insurance policies. Also, the ranges tend to rent out high quality guns that have proven themselves durable and reliable.

And remember, just because someone is "mean to you" does not mean you can use deadly force. You need to be in fear of your life or the life of another.

Get some lessons and you will feel better about guns in general.

The only reason we have responded about the 2A is because you mentioned it. We tend to be a literal bunch who are not afraid to correct misconceptions.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Oh I appreciate the responses. I really don't want this thread to be a about the 2nd Amendment, so I am sorry I brought it up. Especially if the resulting discussion evolves around the beating of an unarmed citizen by the police. The Rodney King fiasco was an unfortunate result of aggressive law enforcement bullying a citizen. It is unfortunate that the citizens showed their displeasure by rioting, but this isn't a chicken/egg thing.

I understand it is nice to have a weapon around if somebody breaks into one's house, but I hope it doesn't come to that. I have been able to talk myself out of situations in the past, but like I said I am concerned about the boldness of people that don't necessarily agree with how I conduct my life trying to be mean to me.

I will look up some local gun ranges and see what I can find out. I did not hear an answer about what happens if a rented gun blows up and hurts me or my partner. Thanks.
If there is an injury due to negligence (other than your own) or defective products, then legal recourse would be against the gun maker, ammo or rental location. Possibly all would be brought in, either way you would be entitled to recovery for damages.

That said, damages from firearms blowing up are so rare that they do not even register on any stats.

As to Rodney King and my final words on the subject, it was only an example but one apparently you only know of from the media and that view was very slanted. Your life was not endangered by a long high speed chase and you have never been assaulted by one on drugs that has spent days working out in prison. I have been involved in all during my years in law enforcement. Note where Mr King spent most of his time after the incident and how many times he has since been arrested for violent crime. A video made after the incident was under way only shows the final moments.

We have had good officers killed under the same situations. A friend of mine was one of four trying to arrest a man on drugs. The man tossed the officer from a second floor balcony while fighting four officers. The officer died on impact. You cannot meet force with words. The public fails to understand that.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5244 Times on 2735 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
IMO due to no such things as militias in 2010.
this is a common syntax error in modern education. back during the founding of the country militia meant what refer to today as the army.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

when you understand that to keep a trained army the citizen keeping and bearing arms is critical when it comes to protecting the country. there is little time to train a citizen and arm them when the nation is in grave danger and conscription becomes necessary. during the early days of ww2 shortly after pearl harbor a great portion of the nation knew how to handle weapons. these folks were critical to rapidly fielding troops. this has been the history of the US for a long time.

so in order to have a well regulated army the people as individuals are guaranteed the right to keep and bear arms. that is the basic summation in today's language.

ok onto the recomendation. find a range that allows rentals. i know there are several in houston austin and san antonio. take a basic handgun course and safety instruction. then rent a few and see what ya like there is really no other way to do it cheaply.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #14

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
My partner and I aren't very similar in size, and we were hoping we could buy one gun for the two of us since we are together so much. We travel to art shows all over the country and we have to drive so we can take our pet chimp Elton. When we take Elton into restaurants and such out in the country it tends to pis off intolerant people and arguments usually occur. One time Elton threw a crouton and a fork at the guy in the booth next to ours at this diner in Midland. Alot of people got pissed off and the words they were saying to us really hurt.
I want to hear more about Elton.....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #15

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I hope you're not thinking of answering words with a gun. In nearly every state, that would be brandishing and a crime.

You can't pull that weapon unless your is being threatened and even then, there will be in inquiry as to whether deadly force was necessary. Much responsibility is assumed when you undertake to possess a firearm.

I recommend a revolver also, not smaller than a .38 Special. The .357 magnum platforms work in this application as you can fire .38 Special in the .357. This makes practice less expensive and the principals of shooting easier to adapt to without the additional recoil of the .357. By all means, after the fundamentals are learned, practice with the full carry load, .357. This isn't something you just pick up and do, it takes Practice, Practice, Pracctice!

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 11-14-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
this is a common syntax error in modern education. back during the founding of the country militia meant what refer to today as the army.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

when you understand that to keep a trained army the citizen keeping and bearing arms is critical when it comes to protecting the country. there is little time to train a citizen and arm them when the nation is in grave danger and conscription becomes necessary. during the early days of ww2 shortly after pearl harbor a great portion of the nation knew how to handle weapons. these folks were critical to rapidly fielding troops. this has been the history of the US for a long time.

so in order to have a well regulated army the people as individuals are guaranteed the right to keep and bear arms. that is the basic summation in today's language.
Well I never thought of it like that. So, the 2nd amendment is kinda like ensuring a perpetual source of remedial Rambo's? Kinda like placing out of freshman math so we can get right to the killing.

In the past people had to shoot their food so that was a benefit for having their own guns. You were ready for duty just from the training you got from shooting squirrels all day long.

Do you have Call of Duty? None of the stuff you can buy nowadays in even the wildest gun outlets comes close to that stuff. Plus, most of the combat stuff nowadays is with missiles and those attack drone things.

So, the interpretation of the 2nd amendment that you put forth would seem to me to be a little outdated. Unless the 2nd Amendment will allow us to have ICBM's so we will know how to push the button for those when we enlist. I once thought about getting a remote controlled helicopter to drop bags of dogpoop in my ex's swimming pool so that would probably be like the drone things. Call of Duty, especially the newer ones like Modern Warfare, is probably as good of experience you should need when you enlist, thus making the 2nd amendment in this interpretation not up with the times.

Needless to say now I'm a little confused about the 2nd amendment but this has nothing to do with why I signed up for this forum. I'm just glad I can get a gun to protect my partner and Elton.

Thanks for all the time and help.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community. Keep an open mind and you'll be able to learn much here.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5244 Times on 2735 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Well I never thought of it like that. So, the 2nd amendment is kinda like ensuring a perpetual source of remedial Rambo's? Kinda like placing out of freshman math so we can get right to the killing.

In the past people had to shoot their food so that was a benefit for having their own guns. You were ready for duty just from the training you got from shooting squirrels all day long.

Do you have Call of Duty? None of the stuff you can buy nowadays in even the wildest gun outlets comes close to that stuff. Plus, most of the combat stuff nowadays is with missiles and those attack drone things.

So, the interpretation of the 2nd amendment that you put forth would seem to me to be a little outdated. Unless the 2nd Amendment will allow us to have ICBM's so we will know how to push the button for those when we enlist. I once thought about getting a remote controlled helicopter to drop bags of dogpoop in my ex's swimming pool so that would probably be like the drone things. Call of Duty, especially the newer ones like Modern Warfare, is probably as good of experience you should need when you enlist, thus making the 2nd amendment in this interpretation not up with the times.

Needless to say now I'm a little confused about the 2nd amendment but this has nothing to do with why I signed up for this forum. I'm just glad I can get a gun to protect my partner and Elton.

Thanks for all the time and help.
video games have nothing to do with experience of shooting firarms accurately. do not mistake entertainment devices for real life experience. the ratinale of compairing video game gun shooting is the same as saying a 7 year old that can beat mike tyson in mike tyson's punch out boxing game could go and win a heavy weight match at 7 year old... its a false argument.

the founding fathers were very wise and far thinking men. if the right to keep and bear arms is outmoded and outdated the so is the right to vote, freedom of speech, freedom to petitiion the government along with the righ to be free of unlawful search and seizure. we would all be safer if the police could search someone's home whenever they felt like it right??

the bill of rights even protects your way of life.

it doesnt matter how many toys one side has it ALWAYS comes down to guys with guns on the ground. right now the afghan terrorists armed with 40 year old equipment are giving our troops hell. it doesnt appear that all the tech gizmos we have are really making much of a dent. its boots on the ground that are doing the job.

i can gauruntee you that playing a game on a nintendo is in no way similar to real world combat.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #19

Now I'm certain of it. Firearms aren't for everyone.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
video games have nothing to do with experience of shooting firarms accurately. do not mistake entertainment devices for real life experience. the ratinale of compairing video game gun shooting is the same as saying a 7 year old that can beat mike tyson in mike tyson's punch out boxing game could go and win a heavy weight match at 7 year old... its a false argument.

the founding fathers were very wise and far thinking men. if the right to keep and bear arms is outmoded and outdated the so is the right to vote, freedom of speech, freedom to petitiion the government along with the righ to be free of unlawful search and seizure. we would all be safer if the police could search someone's home whenever they felt like it right??

the bill of rights even protects your way of life.

it doesnt matter how many toys one side has it ALWAYS comes down to guys with guns on the ground. right now the afghan terrorists armed with 40 year old equipment are giving our troops hell. it doesnt appear that all the tech gizmos we have are really making much of a dent. its boots on the ground that are doing the job.

i can gauruntee you that playing a game on a nintendo is in no way similar to real world combat.
I appreciate your candor and the time you have taken to explain your interpretation of the Bill of Rights.

You put up a strawman with the right to vote, illegal searches and seizures, etc. by comparing it to your interpretation of the 2nd amendment. You wrote that it was necessary for people to be familiar with firearms before they enlisted. My interpretation is that it was designed to protect the citizens from their own government overeaching with it's authority. Maybe there is more than one interpretation and that is OK, but I just know that being able to carry a shotgun in your truck does not equip you to accel in the modern armed forces.

Man, this is really off topic and I apologize but why are Afgans with 40 year old equipment giving such a good fight? Why did they give up such a good fight against the USSR? The problem is that you can't win a war surgically, and this is not even a "war" in the sense. What are we fighting.."terror"? Why don't we fight "rage", or "a$$holishness"? You can't fight an emotion, especially when the acts you are doing will further create more enemies. It feeds upon itself, and this "war on terror" is a perfect storm for the industries and politicians that benefit from it. If you're gonna fight this war, go all in and wipe it clean. Are you willing to do that? If not, this will never end.

Now, this really has nothing to do with my monkey and my BF getting bothered by intollerant people. I am really sorry about starting any problems here or causing this off topic stuff.

I have actually been doing alot of research on the internet today, but I can't seem to find anything about the k plasma gun that the Terminator wanted. That guy in the movie at the gun store said it wasn't invented yet, but that movie was made in 1984 or so I think. Are they available now? Thanks.

Closed Thread