Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hello

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hello

Hello guys I have been thinking about getting a pistol for some personal protection. I know nothing about firearms and up until recently I was totally against firearms being owned by the general public. The second amendment is outdated IMO due to no such things as militias in 2010. But, my mind has changed and whatever legal vehicle will allow me to protect myself and my partner is ok with me.

Instead of researching around not really knowing what I was looking for I thought it would be best to join a forum and hear from some experts. I was wondering what type, brand, size etc. would be best to just keep around the house and maybe use on trips after I take the concealed handgun class Texas offers. Something small and easy to use is what I am looking for. Thanks alot.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Welcome Bobby. Glad to hear of your epiphany.

Start reading the older posts and make notes of the questions that arise. Then ask the questions and you will get any answers.

Find a range near you that rents handguns, talk to the range staff and try some guns. Then ask questions about the guns you liked (on here).

Whatever you buy needs to fit your hand.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome to the FTF!! Why the change of heart? What changed your mind about the 2A?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Welcome to the FTF!! Why the change of heart? What changed your mind about the 2A?
I didn't change my mind about it....I said kinda "whatever" in terms of me being able to own a gun. The ends justifies the means, you know? I don't see any militias running around, yet. I'm not a militia type of guy.

Plus, I feel unsafe recently and just want to be able to do something if I am bothered by aggressors. Not going too political I hope, but I think the recent elections have made certain groups more bold and aggressive.

Quote:
Find a range near you that rents handguns, talk to the range staff and try some guns. Then ask questions about the guns you liked (on here).
Whatever you buy needs to fit your hand.
I didn't know gun ranges rented pistols. That is a good idea, but it would seem that they could get sued if it blew up or something. Has anybody had any experience with that type of thing? I will surely sue if one of these things exploded and caused some type of irreparable damage to me.

My partner and I aren't very similar in size, and we were hoping we could buy one gun for the two of us since we are together so much. We travel to art shows all over the country and we have to drive so we can take our pet chimp Elton. When we take Elton into restaurants and such out in the country it tends to pis off intolerant people and arguments usually occur. One time Elton threw a crouton and a fork at the guy in the booth next to ours at this diner in Midland. Alot of people got pissed off and the words they were saying to us really hurt.

What do you mean by "fit your hand"? I mean if you can hold it and pull the trigger it fits, right? Yes, I do need to read up on this I think.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyPin View Post
I didn't change my mind about it....I said kinda "whatever" in terms of me being able to own a gun....

Plus, I feel unsafe recently and just want to be able to do something if I am bothered by aggressors.
That, defense of one's person and property, is what the 2A is all about. The amendment talks of "security of the State", but the God given inalienable right to defend your life is the anchor of the 2A.

As far as fit, the weapon should feel comfortable and fill your hand; insuring a good strong grip. All devices, trigger, safety, hammer (if so designed) should be easily manipulated without taking the muzzle of the weapon off target. This also helps you manage recoil.

Good luck in your search!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyPin View Post
Hello guys I have been thinking about getting a pistol for some personal protection. I know nothing about firearms and up until recently I was totally against firearms being owned by the general public. The second amendment is outdated IMO due to no such things as militias in 2010. But, my mind has changed and whatever legal vehicle will allow me to protect myself and my partner is ok with me.

Instead of researching around not really knowing what I was looking for I thought it would be best to join a forum and hear from some experts. I was wondering what type, brand, size etc. would be best to just keep around the house and maybe use on trips after I take the concealed handgun class Texas offers. Something small and easy to use is what I am looking for. Thanks alot.
Hello and welcome to this fine site. There is a wealth of information here if one cares to search or ask. We all learn from the experiences of others and even with my 50+ years of shooting and law enforcement experience, I learn things daily.

As to which gun is right for you will ultimately depend on your own opinion. How it feels in your hand, how well you can use the functions of the gun and how you can handle firing it.

However I take do disagree with your opinion about the 2nd Amendment being outdated and there is no longer a militia.

Take for example the Rodney King riots. Where were the authorities like police and national guard? They were out there but vastly out numbered. It was the citizens that took control and protected their homes, fmailies and businesses from the rioting thugs. They used arms they privately owned.

Another example is the Cedar Grove riot in Shreveport, LA a few years ago. People burned down blocks of the city, breaking into and robbing liquor stores, convenience stores and piliaging homes. The police and fire departments were ordered to pull back and stop trying to preserve order. This left the citizens in the area to protect them selves and they did so with their own guns. A citizen stopping aggression from hundreds with mob mentalites is no different from stopping aggression of approaching armies.

Police cannot be everywhere and they cannot protect you and your family. Owning a gun is your best defense against aggression. Yet beyond owning a gun is knowing how to properly and fully using the gun you own.

Try calling 911 to tell of an intruder coming in to rob and injure your family. You will be doing good to get an officer there in 15 minutes. A lot can happen in that 15 minutes to you and your family. Yet a simple admonishment like, "Stop, I have a gun" will often send an attacker running without a shot being fired or a gun produced. Again, you will have just became a member of a militia by providing protection for lives and property.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6758 Times on 4084 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Welcome. I am a very new gun owner, too. It was recommended to me that my first gun should probably be a revolver since there are less moving parts and it is a simple but very reliable and effective gun. Easier to take apart and clean than a pistol and easier to see if it's empty. And as mentioned above, you need to know your gun and practice with it often to feel comfortable with it.

If you are going to travel across the country with your gun you will have to be aware of the different laws from state to state as you travel and obey the laws of traveling with a gun in each state.

I know there ranges that rent guns but I have yet to find one where I live.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

When the 2A was written, the Militia was considered every able bodied man between certain ages (18-50???). Still applicable in a technical sense.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2664 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

I look at keeping armed as the same as keeping a first aid kit because the ambulance may not come quick enough, a fire extinguisher because the fire department may not come quick enough.

The police are there to serve and protect the community, not a private person.

We have a lot of knowledge on the forum (and I believe a couple from Houston.) Head to the introductions area, and tell us a little more about yourself. Some of us only look in specific areas that we have interest in, but almost everyone looks there.

NRA keeps a list of instructors in your area who would be willing to help. Check their website, too. Just picking up a firearm does not make one a pro. Learning what the firearm can and can't do is one of the second thing to learn. How to apply it properly is the third, but SAFETY when using a firearm is the FIRST.

Good Luck

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #10

Oh I appreciate the responses. I really don't want this thread to be a about the 2nd Amendment, so I am sorry I brought it up. Especially if the resulting discussion evolves around the beating of an unarmed citizen by the police. The Rodney King fiasco was an unfortunate result of aggressive law enforcement bullying a citizen. It is unfortunate that the citizens showed their displeasure by rioting, but this isn't a chicken/egg thing.

I understand it is nice to have a weapon around if somebody breaks into one's house, but I hope it doesn't come to that. I have been able to talk myself out of situations in the past, but like I said I am concerned about the boldness of people that don't necessarily agree with how I conduct my life trying to be mean to me.

I will look up some local gun ranges and see what I can find out. I did not hear an answer about what happens if a rented gun blows up and hurts me or my partner. Thanks.

Closed Thread