Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > hell officially froze over in my family

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

the kel tech p32 has a light slide very small but more of a carry gun not a major pluse in new jearsy since getting a ccw is next to imosibial

Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #22

liberals always eat their words. says something this a fact then later on it isnt.

she needs a glock 19. revolver might be more simple. 38 special. with some women a revolver is better because they dont have to rack the gun or worry about jams or the magazine but you have a 38 special.....then big recoil guns.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #23

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

My in laws first time gun owners just bought a sig 226. They paid more for it then I've ever paid for any of my guns. But there house is paid off and they have money to spend.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #24
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3155 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post

We obviously have a young crowd here. 63 ain't that old!

Assuming no physical disability, with proper technique and training she should be able to operate the slide on most semi-autos.

She'll be happier to make her own choice if you can give her some reasonable options to try out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfmdl View Post

Well my mom is 55 and she has only found a few handguns that are not .22's that she can comfortably pull the slide back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post

Maybe she'd be better advised to use the technique of pushing the gun hand against the slide hand, rather than trying to pull the slide back.

As I said, there are techniques that can be trained to alleviate weaknesses.

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/running-the-gun/rack-the-slide/
A lot of women, not just older women have a hard time with slides. Apparently it's a common problem.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Here's what the wife shoots... the slide is very light on this and a short pull, shoots 380 recoil is minimal give it a try

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 198

A 32 H&R or 327 Fed can shoot 32S&W or 32 long for low recoil training and might be a good option. A 32 Tomcat might also work with a tip-up barrel there is no need to rack the slide to load or unload. If you can get her to a range to try different guns that would be best. My wife and future DIL took a intro to handguns course at a local range, now they both want a CZ Shadow $$$$.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #27

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertusa123 View Post
my card carring liberal, democrat, voted for oboma 63 year old mother gave me a call today that almost made me crash my truck today. she wants to buy a gun for home protection. and wanted my advice on how and what to get....... needless to say i started off by finding a local range with a good first time buyers class with a good combunation of classroom and hands on reange time for her and my father to take. they will also help her with the insaine permiting prosses in new jearsy. 2nd what to get im thinking of a 38 relover.
Ruger LCR .38 with soft loads.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 AM   #28

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Robertusa123
If she is interested ina semi auto try a russian mokarov my own mother has one of these they are inexpensive and easy for just about anyone over age 10 and under 90 to pull

Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #29

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

In New Jersey even B-B guns have to be licensed, so I wonder how easy it would be for her to get a license. It's great the lady is perhaps seeing the light, but someone with a mindset that she's had all these years, which was probably anti gun, may not help at all if she does get a gun regardless of the kind. A son should know his mother well enough to know if she's capable of even using it, let alone handle one safely. If she's not that type then she should forgeddaboudit.

Her age is not ancient, but it's a little late in life to start handling guns. I know many will disagree, but then again I'm older and am very familiar with older women. Many older men couldn't suddenly later in life safely keep, or use a gun under pressure either. I have a feeling this may just be an over reaction to something she's seen, or has been hearing on the news. I'd just tell her to be more aware of security and not to worry. If her son thinks she can handle using a gun then help her get one.

It's a pity how these politicians are stressing people out for political gains, which because of their greed really means power and money.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #30

Liked 125 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

The last time hell froze over the Saints won the Super Bowl!!!