Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   hell officially froze over in my family (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/hell-officially-froze-over-my-family-81067/)

robertusa123 01-12-2013 04:09 AM

hell officially froze over in my family

my card carring liberal, democrat, voted for oboma 63 year old mother gave me a call today that almost made me crash my truck today. she wants to buy a gun for home protection. and wanted my advice on how and what to get....... needless to say i started off by finding a local range with a good first time buyers class with a good combunation of classroom and hands on reange time for her and my father to take. they will also help her with the insaine permiting prosses in new jearsy. 2nd what to get im thinking of a 38 relover.

elfmdl 01-12-2013 04:20 AM

Probably defiantly a revolver because I doubt that she could pull the slide back on most semi autos

Vikingdad 01-12-2013 04:29 AM

Congratulations!

I would be careful about recommending a revolver simply because of the recoil. Start her off with a .22 of some sort, then work your way up gradually from there. I am doing the same thing with my mom (though she already has a S&W revolver) and she is still not shooting it yet- but she wants to get there and be comfortable with it. In the meantime she has taken a pepper spray class and is getting some for when she is out and about (no concealed carry here). The revolver is just for the house. I am also encouraging her to take more self defense classes including ones with firearms (she will have to do those probably in Washington or Missouri- as she travels there frequently to visit grandchildren, etc.).

You might consider a compact semi-auto like the Ruger LCP, but try one out with her at the gun store to see if she can operate it well. Then take her to the range with it.

mrm14 01-12-2013 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertusa123 (Post 1090254)
my card carring liberal, democrat, voted for oboma 63 year old mother gave me a call today that almost made me crash my truck today. she wants to buy a gun for home protection. and wanted my advice on how and what to get....... needless to say i started off by finding a local range with a good first time buyers class with a good combunation of classroom and hands on reange time for her and my father to take. they will also help her with the insaine permiting prosses in new jearsy. 2nd what to get im thinking of a 38 relover.

Aparently she is not getting the change she voted and hoped for. Good move with the range and I would somewhat steer her towards a 4" barrel .357 and load it with .38 special rounds and see how she fairs with it. My 79 Y.O. mother has had a S&W revolver like this for over 50 years and absolutely loves it. She did take several lessons in her 20's and goes at least a couple times a year now to keep in tune with it.

kyleytxrialover 01-12-2013 07:00 AM

Grats they are starting to see the light

danf_fl 01-12-2013 10:23 AM

Provide her training. And let her try different types of platforms.

Like I won't buy my mother's underwear, I won't decide which is the best firearm for her.

WebleyFosbery38 01-12-2013 11:32 AM

I think we will be hearing more stories like this. Americans really do get the point when someone tells them they might lose something they never had a use for prior! All the sudden, everyone is interested! Especially when the promises of things getting better have gone unmet by the person who promised them and hes surrounded by armed guards and she isnt!

Your Mom realizes what we know already, these are very bad times and bad times make for more crime not less. Every time someone loses a job, they are looking for replacement, if they cant get a good legal one, they will do things to feed their families they wouldn't otherwise consider.

p35bhp55 01-12-2013 11:51 AM

Since you are talking about older newbies I would stay away from both revolvers mentioned earlier. The 38 snub kicks and a 4" .357 is heavy no matter what it is loaded with. The DA trigger is tough and if they pull the hammer back it's dangerous to get down without firing. What about that new Ruger .22 auto loaded with Velocitors? Actually there are 2, the SR22 and the Mk III Lite.

JTJ 01-12-2013 01:19 PM

Something to keep in mind. A carbine is a lot easier to use than a pistol and a 22lr in a rifle is a lot more powerful than a 22lr in a pistol. As far as tough trigger pull on a revolver, The DAO semi autos are worse. My revolvers all have good triggers. My wife started on a 4" S&W 19 with 38spl and does very well with a revolver. It took a while but hated the semi autos when she started. She currently has a Ruger SR9c but lately she has been eyeing one of my revolvers. I think she would go to her S&W M&P 15-22 before the pistol. She will be 75 next week.

teaberryeagle 01-12-2013 02:10 PM

You can also try the Kel-Tec .32 as it too is double action like a revolver....and, a good move on your part...

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/p-32/
P-32

The P-32 is a semi-automatic, locked breech pistol, chambered for the .32 Auto cartridge.The firing mechanism is double action only. The magazine has a 7 round capacity. The Kel-Tec P-32 is the lightest .32 Auto pistol ever made. Thanks to its locking dynamics and superior ergonometry, perceived recoil and practical accuracy are comparable to much larger guns. The P-32 is mainly intended for plainclothes police officers as a secondary weapon, or for concealed carry by licensed citizens. The small grip size and light trigger pull make the P-32 ideal for female shooters.