Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Held a Stoeger Cougar yesterday....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Held a Stoeger Cougar yesterday....

Went to the LGS for some Large Pistol Primers and have a visit with these guys. I try to get up there much as i can but its 30miles+ oneway,and i drive a 5.6 Titan lol aaanyway.

The shop consists of the owner whos real quiet, the gunsmith-his daughter and a counter helper. All these folk are just plain awesum. The CS is 2nd to none. Sooo the helper(names Randy,built likea bear snow white hair n santa beard) is always pulling stuff off the shelf for me to check out.
You can tell he just really enjoys his job and not giving the salesman pitch. He knows his **** also( far as i can tell).

I tells im iv been lookin possibly for somthing stainless or duo-toned i the 9mm world,why? i think i just want to reload somthing diff then .45acp and want somthing shiny to look at besides my hunk of Hi-Point lol. Dont git me wrong i do actually enjoy the hell outta the HP.

He hands me the Stoeger Cougar in 9mm. instantly i noticed how good it fit my hands,(which are not big meathooks) I fumble my way around it after 1st check the chamber,and realized i really like this thing. I think they had one in .40 also.

Any input from folk that have hands-on exp.?

They def. alil above msrp, but what isnt nowadays? All said n done alil under 500 and they do layaway which is awesum but not because i could have a new unit im paying on all the damn time! lol

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I have never shot one but, have seen them and done some research. They seem to get alot of praise from owners, I'm sure someone will come in soon with better details. Did they have the primers in Northport?

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
Ronald Reagan

Old 03-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 22

CapnJack,I own a Beretta Cougar in .40 which is the pistol that stoeger made a copy of. I bought it from a guy at work, he said he didnt like the trigger but that it never refused to cycle. Ive probably ran 4 or 5 hundred rd.s through this thing and it has ALWAYS went bang,its also accurate for a short barreled weapon. Here's the rub = it has Alot of creap and no reset (not that I can tell) no safety except de-cockers on both sides so you could carry it half-cocked if you wanted. The gun was meant to be a conceil/carry weapon so having a heavy trigger is really a good thing IMO. I keep mine because its kinda like putting weights on a baseball bat before swinging = if you do your part it can be an accurate pistol but its gonna take some serious trigger control = if your gonna carry it then trigger isnt nearly as important. One more thing = I had a Taurus 92 for years and it was very finicky bout what ammo it would eat and I havent bought another Taurus pistol since-theyre revolvers are pretty damn good but...... all Im trying to say is that Stoeger is a copy of the Beretta so it may be fine or......... I can guarantee that its price is much less I hope this helps friend and fellow shooter.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2064 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 747

Beretta owns a large group of firearms companies, Stoeger being one of them. Stoeger is the "economy" manufacturer of the family. I would expect the Stoeger Cougar to be very similar to the Beretta.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
coyotex Likes This 
Old 03-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #5

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I had one in 9 had a safety plus decocker good gun. The price your gun guy quoted u is a little high even now u can get one at academy for upper 3s. But as i stated its a nice gun

Old 03-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 22

In response to = I agree with your statement 100% = electronics,appliances,ect. just because the "Label" is different doesnt mean a thing. I used to be a Trucker and picked up parts In an Indianapolis Amana Plant then trucked it to a Maytag distributor who promptly put 20 different tags on the same machines. I personally call it the Walmart effect = one day theyre will only be 1 Gun manufacture left. Smith&walther Taurus&Rossi and those are the tip of the iceburg. Bud I put mt exprience with the Taurus 92 compared to Beretta 92's which are USGI (would not be my choice) because I had a less than favorable experience with mine and it was $200 less. Maybe I bought a lemmon (**** happens = I even sent that pistol to Miami for a factory fix and it came back with brand new barrel with polished feed ramp) it was still not reliable so I traded it for a Ruger Old Model Vaquero = that thing is worth twice what the dealer gave me credit for = sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut. My advice to you and anyone out ther is if its a new pistol RESEACH and Ive personally found that the quality of MOST firearms are nothing compared to ones made 2 or 3 decades ago. Pawn shops/gun shows = the way to go = IMHO if you want a reliable 9 or 40 buy a Glock/Sig/XD saving a little money is not woth your life - if it comes down to it.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #7

Liked 63 Times on 41 Posts

I want one to carry and and to my beretta collection.