Heirloom? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Heirloom?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 05:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

So the rusty Civil War era cap-lock that was found on the family farm doesn't count as an heirloom? I disagree with your disagreement and call you.
Lol

To each their own, but yes, basically. I don't want to stare at an oversized paperweight. It only holds value to me if it functions. But I'm not a sentimental person in the slightest, so...

Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9077 Times on 5274 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Lol

To each their own, but yes, basically. I don't want to stare at an oversized paperweight. It only holds value to me if it functions. But I'm not a sentimental person in the slightest, so...
How about the Pennsylvania Rifle that your ancestor used in the Revolution but would not be safe to fire? Would you value that as an heirloom?

Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

How about the Pennsylvania Rifle that your ancestor used in the Revolution but would not be safe to fire? Would you value that as an heirloom?
Not really. For me to enjoy and experience any sentiment out of an item I'd need it to function just as it did when my ancestor used it, and I'd have to use it. I'd shoot it at a can knowing my grandfather did the exact same thing at some point. Now that's cool. I'd hoist it over my shoulder or bury it in a holster and walk around the same woods my father did. Now that's cool. But just sitting on a fireplace mantle collecting dust under some picture does nothing for me and is just plain poor excuse for home decor.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9077 Times on 5274 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Not really. For me to enjoy and experience any sentiment out of an item I'd need it to function just as it did when my ancestor used it, and I'd have to use it. I'd shoot it at a can knowing my grandfather did the exact same thing at some point. Now that's cool. I'd hoist it over my shoulder or bury it in a holster and walk around the same woods my father did. Now that's cool. But just sitting on a fireplace mantle collecting dust under some picture does nothing for me and is just plain poor excuse for home decor.
For the most part, yes I agree (to the extent that all of the guns I have, save the Carcano, I have and do shoot).

But there are some mantle decorations that I wouldn't turn down nor would I sell them off. I just don't have them yet.