Heirloom?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Heirloom?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Default Heirloom?

What, to you, constitutes "Heirloom quality" in a handgun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #2

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

A heirloom is a heirloom --What does the quality of it have to do with it
It can be a POS or MIB- Still a heirloom--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 01-22-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1093 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 455

When your pistol has weaving aids built into it and you have an heir designated to receive it, you have an "heirloom quality" handgun.

I have purchased Colt revolvers for my children to receive if/when they grow up.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #4

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
When your pistol has weaving aids built into it and you have an heir designated to receive it, you have an "heirloom quality" handgun.

I have purchased Colt revolvers for my children to receive if/when they grow up.
I'm availble for adobtion

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8269 Times on 4778 Posts
Likes Given: 10691

Why do you ask?

Seriously, if you want to pass it down to your kids, or they have a strong desire to have it passed down to them, that is what makes it an heirloom. It does not even need to be functioning.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 AM   #6

Well I would think an heirloom is defined by its ability to stand the test of time, which would require it to have a certain build quality. So while, yes, anything handed down could technically be considered an heirloom by mere exchange, something that is built will enough to have that "last a lifetime" quality, is what I would deem worthy of the title.

My question was meant to ask what gives guns these qualities? Is it the materials, the machining, the this, the that, etc. Just curious about the specifics anyone might have found or thought of.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

The family history behind it makes it an heirloom. I personally think quality isn't much of a factor.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
It does not even need to be functioning.
That's where we have to disagree. If a firearm isn't working I won't have it around to be passed down. If u can have it fixed, fine, git 'r done, but functionless is useless and had no place in my home or possession and I wouldn't pas down junk.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Well I would think an heirloom is defined by its ability to stand the test of time, which would require it to have a certain build quality. So while, yes, anything handed down could technically be considered an heirloom by mere exchange, something that is built will enough to have that "last a lifetime" quality, is what I would deem worthy of the title.

My question was meant to ask what gives guns these qualities? Is it the materials, the machining, the this, the that, etc. Just curious about the specifics anyone might have found or thought of.
My wife learned how to shoot a rifle with a Carcano. Still have the piece of junk, and we will keep it. Our one son wants it to be his one day. There you go- cheap and poorly made piece of junk with no monetary value, yet its an heirloom.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 01-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
That's where we have to disagree. If a firearm isn't working I won't have it around to be passed down. If u can have it fixed, fine, git 'r done.
So the rusty Civil War era cap-lock that was found on the family farm doesn't count as an heirloom? I disagree with your disagreement and call you.

Quote: