Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Have you ever heard anything like this while range shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #21
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4568 Times on 2295 Posts
Likes Given: 4711

Man I didnt ever want to be the one that screwed up on a live fire range! My DI would have ripped our heads off for thinking about screwing up!

15 years later after running an M16 Zero Range for the entire day, shutting it down and wandering over to the m9 popup qual right next door to try the new M-9 We were National gaurd, it wasnt new for the Army, just us). I made a big fool of myself, I never played with one before that moment and after emptying my first clip, I went to reload and held the slide release partially while charging it! The entire slide assembly slid right off the weapon and landed at my feet! I quickly recovered it and luckily it popped right back on, I continued and fired expert somehow, pure luck I am sure!

If that had been basic training, SFC Boseman would have racked me and cracked me. Instead the guys in the tower busted my chops for the next 2 weeks! I dont shoot pistols! I was a Platoon Sgt, we got M16's not poppers! I never fired a pistol on a range again!

I was born and raised country, we didnt have ranges, just gravel pits and hillsides. Other than 21 years in the military, Ive never fired on a range before, Skeet way back when on a small private range but never paid to go shooting other than the bullets. I dont think I would like that so much!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 236 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 79

People don't realize, the Army can suck the fun out of any activity, including a day at the range.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #23
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thats true Gonzilla but I will say, its much safer than shooting with nincompoops. Ive been on hundreds of rifle/ pistol live fire, Grenade and demo ranges yet never seen an accident that caused injury (other than some fool grabbing a Maw Deuce Barrel without gloves after its fired a few cases of rounds hot, hot, hot)! You will only do that once!

Otherwise, I prefer a lowtech gravel pit that can provide additional live targets like Woodchucks and other disposable critters. I wont fire with people I dont know, its just not worth the hassle or risk.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #24

Liked 3709 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
think you left out a zero.

during bootcamp night fire. you heard the usual, make ready, shoot your target when targets appear, targets. bang, bang, bang.. as i squeezed the trigger i assumed i would fire one round. after the 3rd round i turned to see the DI 2 inches from my face with his light.. my selector switch was stuck halfway between semi, and burst. it was enough so that it burst fired. my DI quickly flipped it to semi and must have saw how scared my expression was. he simply said dont do it again.. now keep shooting.
Experienced the same thing on a daylight qual range at Benning while in Boot Camp. Another member of my platoon did it.

Ready on the left? Left side ready. Ready on the right? Right side ready. Shooters, you may commence firing...bang, bang, bang...from the same rifle.

I was behind the line waiting to fire and we all got a pretty good laugh out of it but honestly, it could have happened to any of us. The selectors on many of the A2's we trained with here a bit sloppy and a flick from safe to fire could easily send it all the way around to burst.

Tack

Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #25

Liked 3709 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 1010

While preparing to shoot the same public range I posted about on Page 1, there was another incident.

I again had my oldest son and nephew with me. We were setting up on the 50 yard range, loading mags for the AR and getting ready to call the range cold so we could post targets. There were two older fellows on the far left, not firing though the range was hot and two young fellows to my immediate left, one shooting his new AR and the other with a 30.30 lever.

I see a person move behind me left to right, he then exits the left side of the firing positions and proceeds downrange!

Never called the range cold, no one had locked and cleared weapons. My rifle was the only one that had been made safe, I could not frigging believe it?

Turns out he just told his AR buddy to cease fire "because he was the only shooter firing at the time". And well, had not bothered to read the range rules.

Mr. AR is sitting there with his rifle still loaded and holding it!

Fortunately the other two shooters, engrosed in conversation had not fired and we called the range cold, made Mr. AR simply "lay it down", and gave the young fella's a polite course in range safety and etiquette.

Had some here heard this block of instruction, they might categorize me as the dick? Sorry Charlie, if your going to use public ranges with little to no supervision, it is incumbent upon you, the shooter, to ensure you know and follow the rules. Cowboys "doing it their way" is what gets folks shot. Everyone MUST be on the same page.

Again, thank god I got into my private club. Great RSO's who deal with any foolishness so I don't have too.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 06-04-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #26

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Lol. That's funny. Every course, class, or what have you that I have attended required nothing more than a "put'em on safe and let'em hang." All this crying and complaining is for girls. Man up.

I imagine the old guys were smart enough to realize there was a guy going down range. They weren't even shooting anyway, from what you stated.

There should have been a cease fire called. Cold is when a weapon is out of ammunition. Two different things. Call cold around me and I'll throw you a loaded magazine.

There's a fine line between stupid and safe.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #27

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

We do a pistol competition every year to raise money for the jail ministry. The first year we wanted to get as many competators as possible. So we allowed all calibers. This was at the police department shooting range. The shooter was reloading a Ruger 22/45. We heard a bang. He was pointed down range. No injuries or anything. The safety officer told him if it happened again he would be disqualified. He let him start the stage again. He drops the empty mag and reaches for a fresh one...Bang! He was disqualified. He was allowed to watch. But he was done shooting.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1449 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
. . . The shooter was reloading a Ruger 22/45. We heard a bang. . . He drops the empty mag and reaches for a fresh one...Bang! . . .
I've got a 22/45. What happened? Why did it go off? Do you know?

Old 06-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Fort AP Hill, Virginia, summer, 2003...
I was sitting in a porta John, WAY behind the firing line, doing what one does while sitting in a PJ in the hot summer sun. The firing line went hot, and suddenly three holes appeared in the front wall with extremely loud popping, with matching exit holes in the back wall. I was suddenly finished with my business.
You sir, are a magnet for lead.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 06-05-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #30
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Trip 286, AP Hill was a nasty little fort, I dont like Ticks, Venomous Snakes or other critters that suck blood, AP had all of them. I went there for a Light Leaders course. The only thing I enjoyed down there was a demo range. Each NCO had 2 pallets of Demo when we started. So much fun! 2o blocks of c4, a few cases of Dynamite, couple boxes of caps, few rolls of det and fuse and a few rolls of 100MPH tape. That was one dangerous range, no screwing around with that stuff! I hadnt played hard with that stuff before that day, almost made me want to become a Sapper, almost!

The next day we had a 61 MM Mortar Range, that was also fun until I went to drop one and didnt slide my hands down the tube fast enough, shot right through my open palms (very scary), luckily it didnt connect with them or I would be hands free at this point. Thats when I decided I really like the TOWs much better!