Have you ever heard anything like this while range shooting? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Have you ever heard anything like this while range shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9218 Times on 5061 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Fort AP Hill, Virginia, summer, 2003...
I was sitting in a porta John, WAY behind the firing line, doing what one does while sitting in a PJ in the hot summer sun. The firing line went hot, and suddenly three holes appeared in the front wall with extremely loud popping, with matching exit holes in the back wall. I was suddenly finished with my business.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #12

Liked 1546 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 2491

When I was in boot camp, during rifle qualifications, I did a stupid "uckup". I fired a bullseye on the target of the guy next to me. It caused me to get a "maggie's drawers", my a$$ chewed, and made me score "sharpshooter" instead of "expert", but it did have a positive side. They counted the bullseye for the other guy, which let him barely qualify as "marksman" by one point, where he would have failed to qualify if I hadn't done that. Semper Fi.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #13

Once, in the middle '90s I was at an outdoor range pokin' holes in paper at 50 yards with a Ruger .45 Colt "Blackhawk", when up came a faggy young "man" in his early 20's, with a group of teenage "groupies". He got a blanket outta his wagon, threw it down, and there were about a dozen miscellaneous handguns in it. He was showing off what a "man" he was for his young recruits. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even if he was on the inside. He looked at me, then mumbled something to his "boys". I saw him from the corner of my eye pick up a Freedom Arms .454 Casull, then walk behind me. I knew what was coming, so I braced myself, and when he fired a shot over my shoulder with the Casull, I was ready, and showed no reaction at all. I just squeezed off another shot with my Blackhawk. Then he went back to to his harem and apparently asked them how I reacted. One of them said, "He didn't even act like he knowed you wuz shootin'". The guy got a really pouty look on his face, and I thought he was going to cry. A few minutes later I packed up my stuff and drove to the range office, and told them how this clown was acting. I hope they sent him and is harem on their way.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 05-24-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #14

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Safety is a must but some, well, most take safety and turn it into douche baggery. There's a fine line and unfortunately to many ROs and shooters have self esteem issues and go on a power trip.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Safety is a must but some, well, most take safety and turn it into douche baggery. There's a fine line and unfortunately to many ROs and shooters have self esteem issues and go on a power trip.
Part of the ongoing effort to prove that you don't have to be smart to be in charge.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #16

Liked 381 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 186

In Ft. Knoxx, KY a deer managed to run from one end of the range to the other unscathed. Minor miracle - haven't seen anything like it until a rather adventurous or suicidal squirrel decided to gather his nuts in the middle of our rifle range - on a weekend !

In basic training, you spend the morning throwing dummy grenades in preparation for throwing a live one in the afternoon. A young female recruit, 4'10" maybe 90 lbs barely got a live one out of the hole and while no one was hurt, we all got a dirt & small rock shower. We all thought it was pretty funny as we were dusting ourselves off until somebody noticed a full bird had joined us.

Evidently, He did Not find it as amusing as we did and the A$$ chewings flowed downhill fast & furious like...

Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
In Ft. Knoxx, KY a deer managed to run from one end of the range to the other unscathed. Minor miracle - haven't seen anything like it until a rather adventurous or suicidal squirrel decided to gather his nuts in the middle of our rifle range - on a weekend !

In basic training, you spend the morning throwing dummy grenades in preparation for throwing a live one in the afternoon. A young female recruit, 4'10" maybe 90 lbs barely got a live one out of the hole and while no one was hurt, we all got a dirt & small rock shower. We all thought it was pretty funny as we were dusting ourselves off until somebody noticed a full bird had joined us.

Evidently, He did Not find it as amusing as we did and the A$$ chewings flowed downhill fast & furious like...
Maybe he shoulda thrown himself on it so nobody else would get dirty.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #18

Liked 1355 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 810

we need more of theses @ss chewings in the civilian workplace. i cant tell you how many times a day i want to be in someones face!
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Only time I've ever felt in danger of being shot by some idiot while on the range is when a carload of good ol' boy white guys of Swedish descent showed up and started acting like the redneck a-holes they are.
"Mexicans", eh? Or just people who have darker skin and happen to speak with a "Mexican" accent?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #20

I worked at an indoor range in Indy for a while, and from time to time we'd have a bunch of retardo's show up with lotsa bucks. They'd rent a full auto machine gun for plenty bucks, buy a thousand rounds or so of ammo, and spend what seemed like an eternity shooting up the range. The target hangers in their lanes would be demolished, the cables that held the hangers severed by wild shots, the ceiling and walls full of places where chips of concrete were knocked off. Then after the smoke cleared, there'd be a target lying on the floor where the hanger was knocked down, but there'd not be one hole in the target. Then we'd spend a few hundred bucks and a few hours labor rebuilding the lane. The safest place out there would have been right in front of the target.