Have you ever heard anything like this while range shooting?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Have you ever heard anything like this while range shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1017 Times on 485 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default Have you ever heard anything like this while range shooting?

Range-master on speaker.

Ready on the left, ready on the right, (BANG)!!will the "AO" that fired that shot clear your weapon and step back from the line. A shooter cleared his weapon, stepped back and fainted.

This actually happened at the US Naval Academy when I was a shooting range DI. I still break out laughing when I think about it today.

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Last edited by canebrake; 05-20-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Lol that's too funny.
I was in the club gunshop a couple weeks ago paying off my Ruger 10/22 and they were in the range downstairs and I heard...
Cease fire! Weapons down and empty ,chambers open BANG!
Put the fu#king down down!
Watch your muzzle! Watch your muzzle! Put the fu#king gun down and step off the fu#king line now!
It then got very quiet.
Not sure what happened down there but I don't think anyone got hurt. First time I've heard anything like that come from that range. Pretty entertaining from a safe area. Lol

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

(Chuckle!) Memories- Night fire range, Ft Polk LA. We have been waiting several hours in blackout conditions on a DARK range, waiting for full night vision to develop- 40 shooters on line, M14 rifles. Big concern was the RO in the tower could not physically see all persons on the line, and there was a procedure to be sure that NO ONE was forward of the firing line.

RO, on loudspeaker would ask "Is there ANYONE downrange?" Pause for 3 seconds, lsitening. Repeat, pause, listen. 3rd time, pause, then "Shooters- the line is no longer clear, LOAD one 10 round magazine, release your safeties, commence fire"

Except one night, on the 3rd repeat, from WAY down range, we hear this faint shout " Yesssssss!!!!!" Check fire!- sent cadre down range with red lights- found 2 lost trainees from the night compass course.

They were totally lost, over a mile from were they should have been, and were about 400 meters downrange from us.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1017 Times on 485 Posts
Likes Given: 128

It is very sad at many public shooting ranges today. It is a like a "clusterXXXX" at many of them. Wish there was someway to have assigned range masters at least during prime hours. Or at least proper signage with rules.

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 05-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

The club I belong to has 11 ranges in the complex & the range officer roams the area from range to range on a 4-wheeler. I personally haven't seen any mishaps, but have heard about them or have seen the results. One, on the pistol range I use, is a bullet hole in the back wall of the shed over the firing line. First rule is all weapons are ALWAYS pointed down range whether loaded or unloaded. Somebody must have forgotten that one. Luckily, no one was sitting on the bench in that spot, at least there were no blood stains!

I always go on a weekday & most times no one else is there. Even when there is, no more than one or two & easy to keep an eye on them. Scariest is when some guy has someone with him & you can tell they are a novice.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:07 AM   #6

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Joined a club in 1970 and can tell stories all night about the screw-ups that used the ranges there (It's a wonder no one got hurt). I now have my own set up at the far end of my property. No more a--holes. I invite who I want or shoot by myself.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #7

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Yes, many times, and I was the one dropping the EF bombs...

The worst was a day at the local public range. My son was 15 at the time and shooting one of my 1911's. We had two other shooters sharing a lane abbot 4 lanes to our right when one of them experienced a malfunction with his Glock and reached to rack the slide.

2 Problems, first, his booger hooker was still on the trigger, second, rather than rotating his body to keep his muzzle down range, he crossed his body and pointed his G17 directly at my son! I pulled my son back toward me behind the firing line with my left hand and took the loaded 1911 from him with my right.

Keeping my pistol downrange I shouted a "corrective order" to the fellow who had just flagged my son. He apologized, packed up and left.

Got into my private club two years ago and no problems since.

Thank God, I was getting really tired of playing Drill Sergeant.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #8

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

As an R.O. I actually hit a guy with a clipboard.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #9

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Range-master on speaker.

Ready on the left, ready on the right, (BANG)!!will the "AO" that fired that shot clear your weapon and step back from the line. A shooter cleared his weapon, stepped back and fainted.

This actually happened at the US Naval Academy when I was a shooting range DI. I still break out laughing when I think about it today.
I've seen many stupid, (and dangerous), things happen at public shooting ranges in the past. So much so I stopped shooting at them for a few years. I joined a private club and that eliminated the problem, but opened up another one. Shooting outdoors here in Phoenix is a poor proposition in the Summer months. Temperatures can easily hit 115 in the shade in June through August. One of the bigger public indoor ranges here opened up a "branch" store and range just a few miles from me so I went to check it out. They also sell a lot of nice AR stuff at good prices, and have Mag-Pul, P-Mags as cheap as any mail order outfit.

I started talking to one of the guys behind the counter who seemed knowledgeable, and showed a lot of common sense in his conversation. I told him about the problem of being muzzle swept several times at the other location by idiots shooting there, and more importantly how it went unchecked when I told the range officer about it. He admitted that several people had complained, and that they had addressed the issue by having the range under much closer scrutiny.

Also, because for some reason indoor ranges have become a favorite place for many nut cases to commit suicide at by renting a gun, then blowing their brains out at the first opportunity. We have about 2 or more a year here in Phoenix at all of the various indoor ranges. One just occurred at the Scottsdale Gun Club. That guy failed at his attempt and lived. It tends to be a turn off to get spattered with blood and brains, not to mention a stray bullet from these idiots, when all you're after is a nice day of target practice.

The Scottsdale Gun Club is starting construction on a new 100 YARD indoor range near here soon. It will be the longest indoor range in the country when completed. That will be super for getting high powered rifles dialed with zero wind conditions to effect anything. It will have a capacity up to and including .50 BMG.

I have started going back to the new range near me, and I have to say the manager I spoke with was telling it like it is. They have someone inside the range, as well as another person monitoring several closed circuit monitors outside. I felt much safer than in the past. Especially when a car load of Mexicans show up with their over painted and perfumed girlfriends, trying to impress them with their Kel-Tec's and Hi-Points.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I've seen many stupid, (and dangerous), things happen at public shooting ranges in the past. So much so I stopped shooting at them for a few years. I joined a private club and that eliminated the problem, but opened up another one. Shooting outdoors here in Phoenix is a poor proposition in the Summer months. Temperatures can easily hit 115 in the shade in June through August. One of the bigger public indoor ranges here opened up a "branch" store and range just a few miles from me so I went to check it out. They also sell a lot of nice AR stuff at good prices, and have Mag-Pul, P-Mags as cheap as any mail order outfit.

I started talking to one of the guys behind the counter who seemed knowledgeable, and showed a lot of common sense in his conversation. I told him about the problem of being muzzle swept several times at the other location by idiots shooting there, and more importantly how it went unchecked when I told the range officer about it. He admitted that several people had complained, and that they had addressed the issue by having the range under much closer scrutiny.

Also, because for some reason indoor ranges have become a favorite place for many nut cases to commit suicide at by renting a gun, then blowing their brains out at the first opportunity. We have about 2 or more a year here in Phoenix at all of the various indoor ranges. One just occurred at the Scottsdale Gun Club. That guy failed at his attempt and lived. It tends to be a turn off to get spattered with blood and brains, not to mention a stray bullet from these idiots, when all you're after is a nice day of target practice.

The Scottsdale Gun Club is starting construction on a new 100 YARD indoor range near here soon. It will be the longest indoor range in the country when completed. That will be super for getting high powered rifles dialed with zero wind conditions to effect anything. It will have a capacity up to and including .50 BMG.

I have started going back to the new range near me, and I have to say the manager I spoke with was telling it like it is. They have someone inside the range, as well as another person monitoring several closed circuit monitors outside. I felt much safer than in the past. Especially when a car load of Mexicans show up with their over painted and perfumed girlfriends, trying to impress them with their Kel-Tec's and Hi-Points.
think you left out a zero.

during bootcamp night fire. you heard the usual, make ready, shoot your target when targets appear, targets. bang, bang, bang.. as i squeezed the trigger i assumed i would fire one round. after the 3rd round i turned to see the DI 2 inches from my face with his light.. my selector switch was stuck halfway between semi, and burst. it was enough so that it burst fired. my DI quickly flipped it to semi and must have saw how scared my expression was. he simply said dont do it again.. now keep shooting.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.