Have you actually used your gun? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Have you actually used your gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I remember one summer night in NYC a long time ago walking where the Javits Center was being built. I heard a couple of loud bangs, turned, and saw a few people across the avenue not quite a block away standing and screaming, One with a gun. Maybe someone else had a gun too. I don’t know. I ducked behind a parked car and lay on my stomach. I heard another three shots. I remember thinking I wished I had worn a zipper jacket because the toggle buttons on the coat I had on were too thick. Eight years later I heard sirens approach. A few years after that when it got quite again, I got up to peek. Nobody was around. I ‘snuck’ away. I think the whole thing lasted maybe 15-20 minutes. I think maybe it was a pimp, girl, john problem.

Except for hearing the occasional shot during hunting season up here in the woods, that’s my only experience with shooting outside a range. It was enough.

Last edited by Vincine; 07-04-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8876 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

As far as training, experience, mindset, killer instinct, trained killer, etc etc- ladies and gentlemen, I offer for your edification the ultimate in untrained, unexperienced, meek, churchgoing, mild and gentle soul that I have ever known- my mother.

When I was a youngster, we lived in the country. By the age of 5 I think I had actually SEEN a law enforcement officer twice. If you were to CALL for law enforcement aid, the nearest was probably at least a half hour away, if not more.

While dad was working out of state, we were home alone one evening when a man unknown to any of us attempted to force his way into our home. Mom dropped him with one round of 20 g buckshot at a distance of 10 ft. She had ordered him to leave, warned of the consequences, and when he smashed the glass of the door, and was reaching for the lock, she ended it.

I was sent up the road to get my uncle (one of Dad's younger brothers) who returned with HIS shotgun, and found a quite dead ex-con, with a nice record.

So far as I know, neither Mom, self, or my sisters had emotional problems from this- it was actually rather reassuring that Mom was capable of dealing with dangerous critters.

Have I used a firearm in defense? Other than in an occupational setting, yes. Twice. One did not involve discharging a firearm. However, I will tell you this is about the most personal question that you can ask another person, so I will ask you- why do you ask?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:46 AM   #23

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Ambrola

This is a touchy topic for a lot of people. If your looking for stats on DGU's, "Defensive Gun Use", check out Dr. Kleck's book "More Guns = Less Crime". It comprises the greatest body of data on this topic and the ONLY body of data that has not been de-bunked by scientific peer review.

TACK
That book was written by John Lott Jr. Ph.D.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 07-03-2011, 04:58 AM   #24

Liked 2498 Times on 1423 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Never used my gun for SD, Thank GOD.

Seriously, I mean it.

Because it would sour a great hobby and lifestyle with the blood of another,

and bring negative memories to my shooting sports.

Never had to defend myself mortally with any object. Interesting you

are only asking about firearms specifically...

Old 07-03-2011, 05:14 AM   #25

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrola View Post
I read all the crap about self defence on the forums, but how many of us have had to pull their weapon and use it? Military excluded! I have been shot, hit me just right of my naval and passed through. It is alot different than talking about it.
So, why would my military experience, and other member's military combat experience be excluded? How is it that our situations of self defense (thats all that it really is, is self defense) isnt relatable? Yet you dont exclude police officers and other law enforcement?

You cant say that it is because we are highly trained. I was a Marine. I maybe, maybe fired 200-250 rifle rounds a year in training. And that was all in one week every year. I was a pogue, ie non-infantry. Infantry fired thousands of rounds a year and trained extensively. I was in communications, but I was attached to an infactry unit in Iraq. Civilians deal with life or death self defense situations everyday. But they never had to deal with roadside bombs or rocket and mortar fire. I guess my ptsd is not from a real self defense situation (by the way you dont have to kill someone to get ptsd, i unfortunately didnt kill the hadji shooting at me, that i know of). Just like miltary, you cant exclude law enforcement as somehow not being a true self defense situation. All they have to do it shoot 35-50 rounds a year to qualify and thats it. After that they never have to step foot in a range for the rest of the year.

This is what I think you did. You asked everyone for their experience of self defense, while giving a quick 1 liner of yours. Its almost passive agressive like, hoping someone might be sympathetic or interested in your story and ask for it. How about next time start a thread labeled "My self defense story" then go on to write your story and post it. Then read and answer everybodies response.

I think im going to start a thread asking if anybody has been to another country where the population hates Americans and ask for their story. But....Military excluded!

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 07-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8876 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Quote:
another country where the population hates Americans
Does DC count?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #27
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7118 Times on 4285 Posts
Likes Given: 8645

Yes, I've actually used my gun.........every time I go to the range with it. I've let others use it, too.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Do bears count? NOT asking YOU Gello.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:42 AM   #29

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I was fired upon as a young man of 18 years old. I was hunting in an old wooded area called shingle mill. I heard gun fire in a canyon so I walked towards it knowing that deer will run uphill. As I approached I heard the whirring sound of a bullet going no less than two inches from my head. I hit the deck and returned fire with my rifle into the tree line. My father was also fired upon and returned fire. It was either a drug deal or a hit going on as the shooter was more interested in not letting us near the canyon. I feel the man could have killed me if he wanted to, lucky for me the shooter just wanted me to leave.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:55 AM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I once heard bullets go by me but I'm sure that was because I'd spooked a moose towards someone farther up a powerline cut. I just dove behind a stump and ate dirt till the noise stopped.