Have you actually used your gun? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Have you actually used your gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrola View Post
No need for all the hateful remarks. I just meant when you are faced with the situation, all you know and all you think goes out the window. I am able to talk about it because I did nothing wrong and wasn't in war. When we have to protect ourselves in the civilian population, there are no Doctors to help. Just you and your thoughts.
I must have missed the hateful remarks. All everyone said is that you don't need to be shot to be able to discuss self defense. You were the one that started the discussion by pointing out the "crap" in the forums and saying "we" are not trained.

Like I said before I'm glad you survived getting shot. I'm sure it was not a pleasant experience but it does not give you the right to make an assumption about anyone else's level of training or suitability for speaking on the subject. That's all, no one is getting emotional on the subject.

Now if you really feel like talking about it maybe we can all learn something out of your experience. Did you have any previous training before you found yourself in the situation where you got shot? Where you using deadly force to avert the attacker that shot you (was it a shoot out)? If you did, how proficient are you with the firearm you were carrying?

Old 07-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 557 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 1689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
I must have missed the hateful remarks. All everyone said is that you don't need to be shot to be able to discuss self defense. You were the one that started the discussion by pointing out the "crap" in the forums and saying "we" are not trained.

Like I said before I'm glad you survived getting shot. I'm sure it was not a pleasant experience but it does not give you the right to make an assumption about anyone else's level of training or suitability for speaking on the subject. That's all, no one is getting emotional on the subject.

Now if you really feel like talking about it maybe we can all learn something out of your experience. Did you have any previous training before you found yourself in the situation where you got shot? Where you using deadly force to avert the attacker that shot you (was it a shoot out)? If you did, how proficient are you with the firearm you were carrying?
these are all good quesions that could get this thread back on track.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #13

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post

Great post!

I have yet to see any post in here besides the OP that had any sort of attitude. The OP made you seem to have the impression that you somehow have some sort of higher experience because you've been shot. I just seemed like you had a holier than thou attitude with your post. Then you made assumptions about every other poster on this forum.

To answer the OP question...

NO I have never had to pull my gun in defense.... thank goodness!

However, I've fired all of my guns MANY times. I'm fully capable with all the guns I currently own. I have also taken tactical training. Still, that's arbitrary. I'm sure it would help, but NOBODY knows how they're going to react to a situation until they've been placed in it.

Now, I would sure love to hear your answers to Wambli's questions.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I've been lucky enough to have never been shot, nor have i had to shoot anybody. I'm happy with that record.

This thread reaks of fail.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #15
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3519 Times on 2019 Posts
Likes Given: 1549

Since I lost all my firearms in the Great Fire of 2005, I have not had any chances either way.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had to pull mine but thankfully I did not have to fire. In 2009 I was at a Hardware store I frequent in my home town. This store has existed for many years (a family owned establishment), but just recently started selling guns and ammo. I was picking up some 9mm for my Beretta 92 when a portly man walked in and stepped up to the gun counter.

He said nothing even when the owner asked if he needed help. He just stared at him. It was simply "odd." His mannerisms were off. That's what caught my attention. He paced for a bit then he just pulled out a black snubbie, finger on trigger, and began to raise it toward the owner behind the counter. It was surreal. I simply yelled "Oh, (expletive deleted)" and pulled my 92 from a strong side holster with a cant.

He could not have been more than 3 feet from me. He went to turn to me and saw a gun muzzle at little too close, he dropped his gun on the counter. The owner unloaded it and called the police. I made him sit on the floor with his hands on his head until the police arrived, never pointing anywhere but at his face. When I saw the police cars through the glass doors I laid my gun on the counter.

I provided my CCW and DL. I was questioned extensively. One question I vivdly remember is where he drew his gun from. I remember this question because it was amazing that I honestly did not know. I spoke with the deputies for a while they handed my weapon back to me with the mag removed and the slide locked open. They apparently kept the one from the tube. I got in my car and just looked at the front of the store for what seems like forever thinking nothing and eventually I just drove home.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 07-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #17

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

How to respond to this op....Hummmm, Well Getting shot have nothing to do with any level of training or experience associated with CCWP. But it has to do with experience in life that can tell and teach you many things. I am glad you survived and hope you can share with many who have not experienced it. I can say, "It is no fun and it is not like the movies."

As far as training goes If you take a little time to read about some of the folks on the forum you will find a vast knowledge from experience in the use and carrying of firearms, and a lot of that experience came from prior Military or Law Enforcement careers, some are still serving in that capacity.

Some learned on the streets in real life and are just as much trained as anyone else is. Some actually spend time at the range honing skills acquired over the years each and every week. Many who do not want to become a victim and possible end up shot actually try and learn from them that actually know.

We all hope to never be in the situation that you have already experienced, and we all hope to never have to use what we have learned.

The goal of the samurai warrior to be good enough to never have to use your sward.

opaww

Old 07-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #18

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

So you got shot. To me that says you need to retrain. If you were carrying and you got shot YOU FAILED.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #19

I just walked into the room and bang, that was it. No warning, no time to draw a weapon. The autopsy showed that this man was two times the legal limit on alcohol, and a bunch of drugs in his system. He not only shot me, but then shot my best friends father. As I was lying in the emergency room being attended to, I heard them say over the radio that they 2 more comming in, 1 DOA. My friends father almost died, but lived to an old age. I didn't know this man and had never seen him before.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #20

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Ambrola

This is a touchy topic for a lot of people. If your looking for stats on DGU's, "Defensive Gun Use", check out Dr. Kleck's book "More Guns = Less Crime". It comprises the greatest body of data on this topic and the ONLY body of data that has not been de-bunked by scientific peer review.

TACK

Newest Threads