Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Have I damaged the slide spring in my Glock 19? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/have-i-damaged-slide-spring-my-glock-19-a-45038/)

songbird 07-11-2011 09:27 PM

Have I damaged the slide spring in my Glock 19?

Hey guys,

Since my first post about choosing a first firearm I have purchased a glock 19. I have fired about 1000 rounds and cleaned the gun 4 or 5 times. It is my only gun right now and I am also using it as a nightstand gun. In an effort to have it "ready" in a moments notice in the middle on the night, I have been keeping a loaded magazine outside the gun and the slide locked back at night. My logic is this would be the fasted way to load the pistol. Grab pistol, insert mag, slide release, ready. I realized now though that keeping the pistol this way at night is probably not good for the spring.

Can anyone offer some help? Am I damaging the spring, should I be approaching this differently?

dnthmn2004 07-11-2011 09:41 PM

In a nutshell, no worries. Modern steel springs are meant to take a beating.

However, I would not keep a firearm in that condition for home defense. It just doesn't make since to me. Put a mag in and don't rack the slide if your worried about a negligent discharge or seating a bullet into the case after repeated chambering.

Sniper03 07-11-2011 09:52 PM

My only thought is, how long does it take to insert a magazine and then overhand with the week hand come over the top of the rear of the slide with all your fingers and thumb and rack a round into the pistol. Probably almost as fast as locating the slide release and with the resistance push it down. Might also be a little safer if you got little ones in the house? Because if they were to find it and slap the mag in the mag well it in all probability the slide would close and load a round. I would bet if you become proficient with that technique mentioned above as we have trained in the LE business there would not be much difference in time either way if any at all. I'm betting just as fast!

songbird 07-11-2011 10:09 PM

OK...I think I get what you are saying. Just to clarify you guys are suggesting, I should probably keep the mag out ( or possibly in) and just rack the slide with my weak hand.

This actually makes sense because I have not been able to get really fast with the slide release button. I imagines it would get easier as the gun wears in. I think I will go tonight and practice loading an empty mad and racking the slide with my weak hand like a drill.

dnthmn2004 07-11-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird (Post 539070)
OK...I think I get what you are saying. Just to clarify you guys are suggesting, I should probably keep the mag out ( or possibly in) and just rack the slide with my weak hand.

This actually makes sense because I have not been able to get really fast with the slide release button. I imagines it would get easier as the gun wears in. I think I will go tonight and practice loading an empty mad and racking the slide with my weak hand like a drill.

Your going to need some snap caps or you won't be able to practice. If you insert the empty mag and rack the slide its going to lock back. You get the idea though. Slide is forward, insert full mag, put on nightstand, go to bed, hear a loud noise down stairs in the middle of the night, pick up gun, rack slide, go time.

songbird 07-11-2011 11:18 PM

Your right about the snap caps. I will look for my old super soaker in the garage and practice with that. :) thanks for the help.

Thadeuce 07-11-2011 11:28 PM

You don't need a mag to practice racking the slide.

It's a Glock, so loading the mag into the gun doesn't mean it's ready to fire.

songbird 07-12-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thadeuce (Post 539137)
You don't need a mag to practice racking the slide.

It's a Glock, so loading the mag into the gun doesn't mean it's ready to fire.

I know but by drill, I meant grabbing the gun inserting the mad and racking the slide. Like one would do in a real life scenario if danger presented itself.