Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hangun hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hangun hunting

I'm new to the handgun section s I'm sure there are 100 threads like this so I apologize but what kind of game is pursued with handguns. I like revolvers better so what could I kill with a .38 special? .357mag? .44mag? Are any of these even hunting calibers?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For hunting I would stick with the magnum rounds and preferably the .44 and up.

I know some people hunt hogs with these rounds. Not really sure what else to hunt with them, maybe varmints but that would probably be a little more difficult since they are a little more cautious to their surroundings.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #3

Liked 2369 Times on 1479 Posts
Likes Given: 51

44 mag is a good round. I have taken deer with 44 mag rounds.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8329 Times on 3601 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Check the game laws in your state. I use 22 rimfire for squirrel and rabbit. I deer hunt with a .357 Magnum- BUT- that is a ten inch revolver, with heavy handloads. 44 Magnum and up is used for deer and pig.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

A nice .357 makes a great small to medium sized critter getter.Load a revolver with some cast lead,super accurate fodder and as the ole timers used to say....."you can eat right up to the bullet hole".IOWs,head shots on squirrels and rabbits is entirely doable.

Theres some "issues" with .357 once the animal size gets above Fox,G-hogs,Turkeys,ect.......Thinking Deer and above.One issue is of revolver strength.To get decent ballistics heavy bullets and large doses of powder can take its tole on a revolver.Large framed guns like S&W # 27/28,and Colt Pythons will last awhile....but its gonna wear them out faster.

Another issue with .357's,if you aren't casting your own is,bullet availibilty.Most of the industry sees the .357 as a defense calibre....and small game.Bullet choices can get a little slim when looking for say a "Deer" bullet.But thats revolvers,TC's come in .357 and can make that cal really stand-up and perform.But the .357 maximum,IMO would still be better choice in a TC.

.44's,when loaded correctly make dandy short to medium range deer guns.Handgun hunting is IMO,probably the toughest hunting discipline.I think its noticibly harder than bowhunting.It takes a tremendous amt of practice and load development to really become profficient with a handgun.Scopes help a little....shooting sticks help a little/lot.....its like,everything helps a little.Its just much harder than say a rifle.And thats why I see it mainly as a short to medium range gun.

Theres a much better bullet selection for hunting with the .44.You're not having to go into the red zone(like a .357)to get the ballistics needed for quick kills on Deer.So finding suitable guns isn't that big of deal.For instance,a scoped Super Blackhawk shooting factory loads is one heck of a pkg.And won't break the bank.

I will say,hunting big game with a handgun....and being successful,ranks about as high as it gets on the satisfaction scale,for me at least.Goodluck,Shopnut

Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19601 Times on 11126 Posts
Likes Given: 49353

some states have a minumum caliber restriction for game animals and also a minimum barrel length to be legal for hunting purposes. many munters who use a revolver for hunting usually use at least an 8" barrel and even add a small scope for better shot placement. best place to check is your states game regulations for all the legal details.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #7

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My grand pa uses a 44.mag to hunt and has taken well over 50 deer with it if you can handle the recoil use the 44.mag