Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handuns registered??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #41
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2598 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr43 View Post
In an criminal investigation, IIRC, a firearm SN may be accessed by FBI and other law enforcement agencies from ATF to trace it to the purchaser (assuming in was purchased legally - when this became law to do so). No crime/no access is what I have been told by the local sheriff. Crime = access to ATF database. If you sell a firearm to someone it needs to go through an FFL to protect yourself.
This is true, but only tracks as far as the FIRST purchaser. If that person sells/trades to another dealer, who subsequently sells to a second person there is no link until LE contacts the first purchaser and learns the gun wen through a second dealer. The process starts anew with a visit to that dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
The serial number is recorded by the manufacturer. They also keep record of what wholesaler it went to. The wholesaler keeps record of the dealer that bought it. The dealer keeps the 4473 form.

That's the chain of transfer that the law enforcement agencies must use when dealing with a firearm,only after a subpoena has been issued for the information.

Private sales of firearms are allowed by federal law. As long as both are residents of the same state and legally allowed to own a firearm.

I have dealt with the ATF in regards to a pistol I sold privately. It ended up in a bust in Hutchinson. They had to establish how it got there after I bought it. I faced no penalties and was told I was OK from first contact.
Mostly true except NO subpoena required for the info, just an official request.

Quote:
Someone who knows the selfish bastard(suicidal person) had to have called 911. That person likely told dispatch the the person had a Gun
That is one way it could have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
Maybe so. But whenever they say the caller told them something they say "RP states that blah blah blah". I could tell cops my neighbor has a SCUD but they would not say that so and so has a SCUD registered if Joe Blow just tells them that.
You are assuming the dispatcher is intelligent on the issue. If the caller tells the dispatcher "He has a Glock registered to him" The dispatcher may simply parrot that info to the officers.

Quote:
#1. Were you there?

#2. How many hours of 911 calls and dispatch have you listened to?

In general, the public is stupid. Unfortunately, some of our law enforcement aren't mental giants eithern
There is a lot of misinformation out there. LEO's are not immune to the problem. Few are staunch supporters of the 2nd Amendment. Few are members on good forums like this. Few have more than a couple of guns in their personal collection. Dispatch is the same. They are civilians and frequently just plain STUPID. Yes, I said it. Of our comunications personnel, there are not more than 1 or 2 with event he shadow of a clue. They watch TV and believe the crap the media puts out there.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 01-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
I know that. So why, then, would a dispatcher say they person owns a glock 9mm?
It's possible that they have responded to this address before and a note was made in the CAD for future reference.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedawg60 View Post
It's possible that they have responded to this address before and a note was made in the CAD for future reference.
It's also a possibllity its the chief of polices BIL's house too

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET