Handuns registered?? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handuns registered??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

As long as the STATE does not require registration, all they can check on is reports of stolen.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #22

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I was always under the impression that all firearms are registered with the ATF. Not necessarily to any person, just something that allows them to catalog and categorized between legal and illegally obtained. But since I joined this forum I've been told, by those much more knowledgable than I, that this was not at all accurate. I could really care less quite frankly, I think they should be registered to each person, but whatever, no biggie. Maybe these cops use term registered in reference to the carrier and not the carried, to indicate that they are licensed to...?
In an criminal investigation, IIRC, a firearm SN may be accessed by FBI and other law enforcement agencies from ATF to trace it to the purchaser (assuming in was purchased legally - when this became law to do so). No crime/no access is what I have been told by the local sheriff. Crime = access to ATF database. If you sell a firearm to someone it needs to go through an FFL to protect yourself.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #23

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr43 View Post
In an criminal investigation, IIRC, a firearm SN may be accessed by FBI and other law enforcement agencies from ATF to trace it to the purchaser (assuming in was purchased legally - when this became law to do so). No crime/no access is what I have been told by the local sheriff. Crime = access to ATF database. If you sell a firearm to someone it needs to go through an FFL to protect yourself.
This is how it has been described to me as well but it doesn't explain the OP's question. Also are you implying that if I sell a gun to someone without using a FFL that I can somehow be held liable for crimes commited with that gun?

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #24

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr43

Yes but when my neighbor I have known forever has something I want that is not a problem for me. Yes going through an FFL is fully covering the butt but using judgement is also important. On the way to a call there has been no crime committed yet. Also I don't think a dispatcher has the ability to look at an ATF database.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #25

The serial number is recorded by the manufacturer. They also keep record of what wholesaler it went to. The wholesaler keeps record of the dealer that bought it. The dealer keeps the 4473 form.

That's the chain of transfer that the law enforcement agencies must use when dealing with a firearm,only after a subpoena has been issued for the information.

Private sales of firearms are allowed by federal law. As long as both are residents of the same state and legally allowed to own a firearm.

I have dealt with the ATF in regards to a pistol I sold privately. It ended up in a bust in Hutchinson. They had to establish how it got there after I bought it. I faced no penalties and was told I was OK from first contact.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Old 12-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #26

So again, how does the dispatcher know the suicidal person has a Glock in their possession? If they are first calling out the police to the scene how can they warn the arriving officer of what guns the suspect owns? They don't yet have possession of the gun so they cannot know the serial # to look up through the manufacturer.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #27

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnolans View Post
The background check form in Colorado has an entry for Serial Number. I was told it is married to the Federal Form. Whatever that means. The Seller fills those fields out. Not the buyer.

At that point, they can theoretically track a gun back to the BUYER.
This is the same process here in Oregon. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Anyone have an opinion on this new york paper publishing names and addresses of residents of a couple counties who own guns and have carry permits? I thought it was pretty messed up, but guess it is Public Record.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
This is the same process here in Oregon. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Anyone have an opinion on this new york paper publishing names and addresses of residents of a couple counties who own guns and have carry permits? I thought it was pretty messed up, but guess it is Public Record.
The newspaper ordeal is being discussed here, http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/forget-about-irresponsible-even-legal-79303/

Old 12-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
So again, how does the dispatcher know the suicidal person has a Glock in their possession? If they are first calling out the police to the scene how can they warn the arriving officer of what guns the suspect owns? They don't yet have possession of the gun so they cannot know the serial # to look up through the manufacturer.
Someone who knows the selfish bastard(suicidal person) had to have called 911. That person likely told dispatch the the person had a Gun

Old 12-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #30

So the fact that the dispatcher said a certain person has a certain gun "registered" to them really means nothing? It's possibly just dispatcher speak meaning the caller told them the person had a gun?