Handuns registered??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handuns registered??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Default Handuns registered??

I am just listening to the police scanner in my area and they have mentioned a couple of times tonight about certain guns registered to certain people. I am in Washington state. I thought there was no gun registry. Am I wrong? How do the police know these things,

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
I am just listening to the police scanner in my area and they have mentioned a couple of times tonight about certain guns registered to certain people. I am in Washington state. I thought there was no gun registry. Am I wrong? How do the police know these things,
If the police are verifying CCW permits your state may require that a specific firearm be associated with that permit. There is no federal firearms registry per se but municipalities or states may keep certain information. You can be sure that if you are a CCW holder pulled over for a traffic stop the cop knows you have a concealed weapon before he exits the car.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #3

In Washigton there is no weapon specific to a CPL permit. I have a couple guns purchased new from FFL and it would be nice to know what others know.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #4

Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

I was always under the impression that all firearms are registered with the ATF. Not necessarily to any person, just something that allows them to catalog and categorized between legal and illegally obtained. But since I joined this forum I've been told, by those much more knowledgable than I, that this was not at all accurate. I could really care less quite frankly, I think they should be registered to each person, but whatever, no biggie. Maybe these cops use term registered in reference to the carrier and not the carried, to indicate that they are licensed to...?

Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I was always under the impression that all firearms are registered with the ATF. Not necessarily to any person, just something that allows them to catalog and categorized between legal and illegally obtained. But since I joined this forum I've been told, by those much more knowledgable than I, that this was not at all accurate. I could really care less quite frankly, I think they should be registered to each person, but whatever, no biggie. Maybe these cops use term registered in reference to the carrier and not the carried, to indicate that they are licensed to...?
I am not scared of the government knowing what I have it is just interesting. They were saying that such and such a person at this address has a glock 9mm. But I can buy and sell guns without anybody higher up being notified through other means than an FFL. They mentioned 3 separate times people having guns registered to them. Curiouser and curiouser

Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #6

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

They are most likely doing followups on Class 3 Weapons. These are Full Auto Machine guns, Silencers etc. These under a Federal permits that is also approved by local police. It seems every time the gun issues comes up they have to visit Class 3 weapons owners. These weapons are never used in crime.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
They are most likely doing followups on Class 3 Weapons. These are Full Auto Machine guns, Silencers etc. These under a Federal permits that is also approved by local police. It seems every time the gun issues comes up they have to visit Class 3 weapons owners. These weapons are never used in crime.
No. Situations were both suicidal people and the dispatcher said they had whatever type of handgun. Pretty sure that G18's are not real common in the suicidal folk .

Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #8

Liked 2043 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 392

the Govt keeps tabs of firearms in Washington State, but not the ones the Govt send to Mexico, apparently

Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #9

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 235

The background check form in Colorado has an entry for Serial Number. I was told it is married to the Federal Form. Whatever that means. The Seller fills those fields out. Not the buyer.

At that point, they can theoretically track a gun back to the BUYER.

They can build a database of purchased guns. I am sure they already have one, whether it is queried or not.

That's not paranoia, it's following the data.

PatMan

"You'll put your eye out, kid"

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my future bumper sticker.

Last edited by pnolans; 12-27-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

To raise a stink, I would contact the LPD and inquire as to how they know what firearms an individual has..

Different states have different requirements. In Florida, the NICS through the FDLE only asks if handgun, long gun or other.

I suggest that everyone download the PDF file here:
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 12-27-2012 at 12:13 PM.