Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Handuns registered?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/handuns-registered-79509/)

Hectocotylus 12-27-2012 05:37 AM

Handuns registered??

I am just listening to the police scanner in my area and they have mentioned a couple of times tonight about certain guns registered to certain people. I am in Washington state. I thought there was no gun registry. Am I wrong? How do the police know these things,

Jpyle 12-27-2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hectocotylus (Post 1067778)
I am just listening to the police scanner in my area and they have mentioned a couple of times tonight about certain guns registered to certain people. I am in Washington state. I thought there was no gun registry. Am I wrong? How do the police know these things,

If the police are verifying CCW permits your state may require that a specific firearm be associated with that permit. There is no federal firearms registry per se but municipalities or states may keep certain information. You can be sure that if you are a CCW holder pulled over for a traffic stop the cop knows you have a concealed weapon before he exits the car.

Hectocotylus 12-27-2012 06:48 AM

In Washigton there is no weapon specific to a CPL permit. I have a couple guns purchased new from FFL and it would be nice to know what others know.

BeyondTheBox 12-27-2012 06:50 AM

I was always under the impression that all firearms are registered with the ATF. Not necessarily to any person, just something that allows them to catalog and categorized between legal and illegally obtained. But since I joined this forum I've been told, by those much more knowledgable than I, that this was not at all accurate. I could really care less quite frankly, I think they should be registered to each person, but whatever, no biggie. Maybe these cops use term registered in reference to the carrier and not the carried, to indicate that they are licensed to...?

Hectocotylus 12-27-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I was always under the impression that all firearms are registered with the ATF. Not necessarily to any person, just something that allows them to catalog and categorized between legal and illegally obtained. But since I joined this forum I've been told, by those much more knowledgable than I, that this was not at all accurate. I could really care less quite frankly, I think they should be registered to each person, but whatever, no biggie. Maybe these cops use term registered in reference to the carrier and not the carried, to indicate that they are licensed to...?

I am not scared of the government knowing what I have it is just interesting. They were saying that such and such a person at this address has a glock 9mm. But I can buy and sell guns without anybody higher up being notified through other means than an FFL. They mentioned 3 separate times people having guns registered to them. Curiouser and curiouser

nitestalker 12-27-2012 07:00 AM

They are most likely doing followups on Class 3 Weapons. These are Full Auto Machine guns, Silencers etc. These under a Federal permits that is also approved by local police. It seems every time the gun issues comes up they have to visit Class 3 weapons owners. These weapons are never used in crime.

Hectocotylus 12-27-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker
They are most likely doing followups on Class 3 Weapons. These are Full Auto Machine guns, Silencers etc. These under a Federal permits that is also approved by local police. It seems every time the gun issues comes up they have to visit Class 3 weapons owners. These weapons are never used in crime.

No. Situations were both suicidal people and the dispatcher said they had whatever type of handgun. Pretty sure that G18's are not real common in the suicidal folk :).

chloeshooter 12-27-2012 12:48 PM

the Govt keeps tabs of firearms in Washington State, but not the ones the Govt send to Mexico, apparently

pnolans 12-27-2012 12:52 PM

The background check form in Colorado has an entry for Serial Number. I was told it is married to the Federal Form. Whatever that means. The Seller fills those fields out. Not the buyer.

At that point, they can theoretically track a gun back to the BUYER.

They can build a database of purchased guns. I am sure they already have one, whether it is queried or not.

That's not paranoia, it's following the data.

danf_fl 12-27-2012 01:08 PM

To raise a stink, I would contact the LPD and inquire as to how they know what firearms an individual has..

Different states have different requirements. In Florida, the NICS through the FDLE only asks if handgun, long gun or other.

I suggest that everyone download the PDF file here:
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf