handguns from deceased father
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > handguns from deceased father

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default handguns from deceased father

My late father died and when going through his belongings, we found I believe this:

Smith & Wesson Model 325 Double Action Revolver Reviews Forum and Reference Guide

along with something along the same lines of this:

Product: Smith & Wesson M&P45 - Black - Thumb Safety

There were receipts that came with them, the 325 S&W .45 ACP looks nearly identical to the one in the picture and after ammo and everything it came out to about $1300.

The S&W M&P45 was around $700 w/ ammo. As far as I can tell the handguns did not get much use.

I would not mind keeping one around for self defense. Though I don't think this is even an option in California where I currently reside, in New Hampshire where we previously lived it would not have been a problem.

However I do not know how I would go about selling these pistols or if they are even legal to own in California where we found them with his belongings, discreetly hidden.

There is also "antique" shotgun passed down from his grandfather. I don't know many details about it, would pictures help?

Would appreciate any help I could get with this matter.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10549 Times on 4555 Posts
Likes Given: 1692

First, welcome to the forums- and condolences on the loss of your father.

I am not a Californian, and know just enough of CA gun regs to be really and truly dangerous. The CA DOJ has a listing by make and model of handguns that may leglly be sold in CA as of 1-1-2001. Click HERE: Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

There ARE some versions of the 325 and the M&P45 that ARE on the approved list. CA does have requirements for registration of SOME firearms- I am going to suggest you find a local gun that you can talk with- give us your zip code, and I can probably find someone close to your area.

Selling- couple of things to consider- First. so long as they are on the CA DOJ list, you can sell a handgun to another resident of your home state, OR to a licensed dealer in ANY state. There are internet firearm auction sites (gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com, gunsamerica.com) where you can put up for auction, when sold you ship to a dealer in the buyer's home state. SHIPPPING a handgun will cost you about $70, so think about that. You can also sell to a dealer in CA (expect to get 50-60% of the Blue Book value, depending on condition, box, etc- dealer has to make a profit) Some dealers will also take a firearm to sell on consignment- they sell, keep 10-% of sale price,

Shotgun? Firearms have a different legal meaning when you use word antique. Either a muzzleloading (black powder) OR made prior to 1899. YES, we need pitchers. Can't tell a thing without pitchers.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

The CA "Roster of Guns" only applies to new guns. Your guns are fine in CA and can be sold on consignment through a gun store, or through a "private party transfer" through a gunstore.

I'm sorry for your loss.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Rules change so I dont know if it is still available but when I gave my son a pistol he just had to send for the DOJ paperwork and send it in with no fees. We were both CA residents at the time. They mainly want the guns tracked. If your father bought them in CA the transfer should be good. However as part of an estate there may be some other procedures. A lot depends on where your father lived. Call the DOJ and explain your situation and they will tell you what is needed. Dont even think about calling the DOJ if you live in the SF area. Use Skype if you dont want your phone tracked. You might be able to find the regs on line.
I believe you will have to get certified before you can take possession of a firearm. Most dealers have the test and procedures.

Last edited by JTJ; 02-22-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here are some FAQ's from the Attorney Generals Office Frequently Asked Questions - Public - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Oh, and welcome to the FTF!