Handguns for bears ? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Handguns for bears ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx View Post
That video you posted, a competant marksman with a good firearm could have popped that bear right in its face when it was directly charging, a good shot would have popped it in the brain.

If the bear actually tried to grab me not just run around me I would try to do everything to stay on my feet and not get knocked down, back up, run away so he doesn't get full power into a takedown.
Keep telling yourself that.

What you write here, and what would actually happen in real life are two very different things.

Quote:
Also, going around something will make you slower than being able to sprint in a straight line.
That didn't seem to be a problem for the bear in the video.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 10-16-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 461 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx
That video you posted, a competant marksman with a good firearm could have popped that bear right in its face when it was directly charging, a good shot would have popped it in the brain. Every situation with a bear will obviously be different. Controlling yourself, waiting for and lining up right shot, and I would say headshot would not be THE hardest way of quickly killing a bear, stopping the threat as quickly as possible. If the bear actually tried to grab me not just run around me I would try to do everything to stay on my feet and not get knocked down, back up, run away so he doesn't get full power into a takedown. I don't think anyone should be hiking in the woods if they are not mentally prepared to defend themselves and cope with adrenaline in a life threatening situation. Also, going around something will make you slower than being able to sprint in a straight line.
Good luck trying to stay on your feet with a 1200 pound bear running at you. Was it Newton that said "with every action, is an equal and opposite reaction"? So bear runs into you, you get knocked the f**k over. That is way too much kinetic energy to try and stop
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 10-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #23

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts

Am I the only one who wants to see CJx thrown in a 25 x 25' room with a 9 mm handgun Covered in honey with a brown bear after him

Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx
That video you posted, a competant marksman with a good firearm could have popped that bear right in its face when it was directly charging, a good shot would have popped it in the brain. Every situation with a bear will obviously be different. Controlling yourself, waiting for and lining up right shot, and I would say headshot would not be THE hardest way of quickly killing a bear, stopping the threat as quickly as possible. If the bear actually tried to grab me not just run around me I would try to do everything to stay on my feet and not get knocked down, back up, run away so he doesn't get full power into a takedown. I don't think anyone should be hiking in the woods if they are not mentally prepared to defend themselves and cope with adrenaline in a life threatening situation. Also, going around something will make you slower than being able to sprint in a straight line.
Also, have you ever shot a deer? Remember your first few? Was it hard to keep your cross hairs on target with your adrenaline pumping? Or have you ran a couple hundred yards and tried to shoot a moving target in a vital spot such as the head? Was it hard to control your breathing?
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by akms47nagont
Am I the only one who wants to see CJx thrown in a 25 x 25' room with a 9 mm handgun Covered in honey with a brown bear after him
And fish!!

Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #26
CJx

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by akms47nagont View Post
How many magazines do I get? Depending on that I'll do it for 5000 dollars and add an extra 2000 for every less magazine I get.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001
And fish!!
How could I forget the fish

Old 10-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx
How many magazines do I get? Depending on that I'll do it for 5000 dollars and add an extra 2000 for every less magazine I get.
2 assuming they are 15 round magazines

Old 10-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #29
CJx

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by akms47nagont View Post
2 assuming they are 15 round magazines
Haha alright. I gotta admit that's a scary thought but I think it would be survivable.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

BTW, the have be instances where a bear has been shot in the head several times and still didn't die. One fellow shot a bear in the head 4 times with a 7mm-08, and the bear still didn't die.

Another shot a treed bear with a .308 in the head. It fell out of the tree and hit the ground running. Several shots later with a revolver, it died at their feet. (they were lucky). When skinning the bear, they found that the .308 bullet DIDN'T penetrate the skull. Let me repeat that. A .308 Win hit the bear right between the eyes, and glanced off it. All that did is piss off the bear.