Handguns for bears ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handguns for bears ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

hell an AA12 loaded with slugs should do it, at least that way you get some meat from it.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 10-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #12

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'll take this

image-2082339654.jpg  
Old 10-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
Handguns for Bears. I really don't think I would want to see a bear with a handgun. He77, I don't want to even get a Handgun for the Wife.
http://youtu.be/SL8pbKt8JYQ

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #14

Liked 703 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 1931

Where's shoobee when you need him?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
CJx

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I have zero experience with bears, so I can only speculate. Why are bears such a formidable threat? I'm sure bears are fast, but surely they can't be so quick as to make it too hard to shoot them in the head with a gun.

Wouldn't atleast 10 rounds of a good caliber be plenty to kill a bear quickly if you shoot to blow his brain out of its case?

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views.

There is no left vs. right, no "liberal" vs. "conservative." It's greed for a few vs. prosperity for all, which side are you on?

Last edited by CJx; 10-16-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx View Post
I have zero experience with bears, so I can only speculate. Why do people see bears as such a formidable threat? I'm sure bears are fast, but surely they can't be so quick as to make it too hard to shoot them in the head with a gun.

Wouldn't atleast 10 rounds of a good caliber be plenty to kill a bear quickly if you shoot to blow his brain out of its case?
The bear took 9 rounds of 338 Win Mag. I call that a formidable threat. It's not so much that they are too fast to shoot (they are fast though. Depending on the species, they can run at 30-40+ miles per hour.), it's that they can be hard to kill. It's not uncommon for someone to have to shoot a bear multiple times to kill it. Even a good shot is not a guaranteed kill.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 10-16-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1840 Times on 1311 Posts
Likes Given: 2076

Quote:
I have zero experience with bears, so I can only speculate. Why do people see bears as such a formidable threat? I'm sure bears are fast, but surely they can't be so quick as to make it too hard to shoot them in the head with a gun.

Oh boy, lets see how many untrained people can hit a moving target the size of an apple thats coming at you at 45 mph. Dont forget that the target is also moving up and down and side to side. And all this time you're emptying your bowels into your pants...........lol.............You'll have better luck with the new bear spray, thats if you have time to react, as in both cases..........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 10-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Oh boy, lets see how many untrained people can hit a moving target the size of an apple thats coming at you at 45 mph. Dont forget that the target is also moving up and down and side to side. And all this time you're emptying your bowels into your pants...........lol.............You'll have better luck with the new bear spray, thats if you have time to react, as in both cases..........
I doubt a bear can run 45mph through the woods and trees. Also, I doubt a bear can move up, down, and side to side so much to make shooting it in the head not a viable option.

Also, why would an untrained person be carrying a gun to defend themselves from a bear in the first place?

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views.

There is no left vs. right, no "liberal" vs. "conservative." It's greed for a few vs. prosperity for all, which side are you on?

Last edited by CJx; 10-16-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
I doubt a bear can run 45mph through the woods and trees. Also, I doubt a bear can move up, down, and side to side so much to make shooting it in the head not a viable option.

Also, why would an untrained person be carrying a gun to defend themselves from a bear in the first place?
1) Some bears CAN run that fast. Most, if not all can run at least 30 MPH.

2) Who said you will always be in the woods when this happens?

3) How would some trees slow a bear down unless you were in some extremely thick woods? They could just go around them if there's even a tree between you and it.

4) Shooting it in the head? Have fun with that.

5) Untrained? How many people do you know that train to take on a charging bear? Your adrenaline is going to play hell with you making it even harder to hit your target. I guess you could train like you would for a self defense situation, but that may not help much. The bear is a LOT faster and a LOT harder to kill than a criminal would be.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
CJx

That video you posted, a competent marksman with a good firearm could have popped that bear right in its face when it was directly charging, a good shot would have popped it in the brain. I don't think it would be easy to shoot a bear in the head, but I think it would be ones best chance for surviving the attack and stopping the bear quickly.

Every situation with a bear will obviously be different. Controlling yourself, waiting for and lining up right shot, and I would say headshot would not be THE hardest way of quickly killing a bear, stopping the threat as quickly as possible.

If the bear actually tried to grab me not just run around me I would try to do everything to stay on my feet and not get knocked down, back up, run away so he doesn't get full power into a takedown.

I don't think anyone should be hiking in the woods if they are not mentally prepared to defend themselves and cope with adrenaline in a life threatening situation.

Also, going around something will make you slower than being able to sprint in a straight line.

Last edited by CJx; 10-16-2013 at 11:32 AM.