Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handguns for bears ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Living in Bear country and seeing a few in the wilds, but never have had
A confrontation with one, once while fly fishing got up close and personal with one, we kind of startled each other, we both ran in opposite direction, i now carry the Taurus Judge if I'm going out in known bear habitat, it is definitely a false sense of security ... If an animal that size wants you your going to have to be the coolest guy in the world to stand there squeezing off pistol ammo at a charging animal ...if you have never seen one of these beasts in the wilderness they are huge and fast .... So when people ask me what to do if confronted ... I tell them the following, before going out practice a lot of putting your head between your legs ...so that you can kiss your ass goodbye ... If he wants you your his ....

Paul

Old 11-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #92
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouter3 View Post
Living in Bear country and seeing a few in the wilds, but never have had
A confrontation with one, once while fly fishing got up close and personal with one, we kind of startled each other, we both ran in opposite direction, i now carry the Taurus Judge if I'm going out in known bear habitat, it is definitely a false sense of security ... If an animal that size wants you your going to have to be the coolest guy in the world to stand there squeezing off pistol ammo at a charging animal ...if you have never seen one of these beasts in the wilderness they are huge and fast .... So when people ask me what to do if confronted ... I tell them the following, before going out practice a lot of putting your head between your legs ...so that you can kiss your ass goodbye ... If he wants you your his ....

Paul
Which is why I propose a more proactive approach of reducing their free-ranging population to the point that human encounters (outside of zoos) happen very, very irregularly and are so foreign to the bears as to inspire outright mortal fear in the bear rather than defensive action or predation. IOW, if we kill almost all of them off, the others will learn to run when they smell us rather than when they see us.

Hell, the parts could probably pay off a good bit of the debt our government owes the chinese.

They could send a few to taxidermists to be stuffed and placed on popular hiking trails to keep the treehuggers in thrills, maybe attach a motion-activated recording of bear growls.

Regardless of this country's idiotic affection for these dangerous beasts and lack of common sense in bear population management, there is nothing wrong with making them earn their meal. Even if you ARE killed and consumed, enough wounds will impair the bear's ability to survive and breed more bears.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #93

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just to expand some on this subject ... bears are survivors, nothing man can ever do will control their population, the area they habitat in the PAC Nw is so vast that the chances of Joe common ever seeing one is slim to none...they don't hunt humans, the are vegetation and meat eaters, most confrontation with humans occurs when the animal is startled or a female protecting its young ...the percentage of bears killing humans is so small it's meaningless and largely the fault of the human when it happens ...remember they were they b4 us... It's their wilderness not ours ..we are curious observers in the scheme of things and seem to have the propensity to destroy what we get involved in when it comes to the environment ...leave them exist on their own, they have survived without our intervention for centuries ...... They need not our help ..

Paul

Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #94
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouter3 View Post
Just to expand some on this subject ... bears are survivors, nothing man can ever do will control their population, the area they habitat in the PAC Nw is so vast that the chances of Joe common ever seeing one is slim to none...they don't hunt humans, the are vegetation and meat eaters, most confrontation with humans occurs when the animal is startled or a female protecting its young ...the percentage of bears killing humans is so small it's meaningless and largely the fault of the human when it happens ...remember they were they b4 us... It's their wilderness not ours ..we are curious observers in the scheme of things and seem to have the propensity to destroy what we get involved in when it comes to the environment ...leave them exist on their own, they have survived without our intervention for centuries ...... They need not our help ..

Paul
The human losses are not insignificant to the families of those lost.

Show me a bear's name on a deed, and I won't mind that bear being on that land, otherwise they need to GTHO.

The only help I want to offer them is to their afterlife. I hope I live to see the last bear cub turned into cat food.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #95

Liked 50 Times on 28 Posts

Handguns for bears is a good idea but they should have a background check done On them first....we wouldn't want any criminal bears buying a gun.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #96

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

I don't know that bears can buy guns. I

imagine they would also have a hard time

aiming and loading...

Old 11-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #97
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishbulldog View Post
Handguns for bears is a good idea but they should have a background check done On them first....we wouldn't want any criminal bears buying a gun.

No SSN's or other ID numbers; they ALL fail.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #98

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Orangello ...you sir obviously have some kind of hatred of
these animals you sure are not an conversationist ... Your priorities are rather convaluted ..I'm sure in Mississippi the bear population is tremendous ... Where is the last time you've seen one live? On the boob tube ...a bears name on a deed .. Sir you are intellectually deprived do you and your other posters on here want to have a serious conversation ..
Handguns for bears, under the cloak of anonymity you are all learned
Individuals ....but carrying on a conversation like this with a few
People who are clowns really doesn't interest me ...if this is the theme of this site and supporting members ..........cya

Old 11-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #99
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I do have hatred for the bears. I am not a conservationist but do try to be a conversationalist. LOL

Actually, there was one sighted on my nephew's deer hunting land last year, but it hasn't been seen since. [crosses fingers]

Thick skin sir will protect your sense of humor better than ellipsis.

trouter3 Likes This 
Old 11-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #100
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouter3
Orangello ...you sir obviously have some kind of hatred of these animals you sure are not an conversationist ... Your priorities are rather convaluted ..I'm sure in Mississippi the bear population is tremendous ... Where is the last time you've seen one live? On the boob tube ...a bears name on a deed .. Sir you are intellectually deprived do you and your other posters on here want to have a serious conversation .. Handguns for bears, under the cloak of anonymity you are all learned Individuals ....but carrying on a conversation like this with a few People who are clowns really doesn't interest me ...if this is the theme of this site and supporting members ..........cya
Orange hates bears. I hate cats. Trip hates people, Viking hates cops. All 4 of us shoot at them whenever we get the chance. what's the problem?

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."