Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handguns??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Handguns??

Gentlemen I'm looking for a accurate handgun for my wife.. The highest caliber she has shot is a 45 smallest a 38.. Any recommendations...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #2

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Concealed carry? Large frame, small frame? How big are her hands? What's the intended use?

Old 06-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #3

Medium sized hands and yes she has her C&C.. More for target shooting and personal protection.. I use a browning Hi power and it's a little much for her..

Old 06-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

Maybe something like the ruger sr9c? That is somewhere between small and duty size and I live my sr9... if she wants smaller then perhaps a Kahr cw9? I shot a couple and they seemed very nice... also... 9mm is a very efficient round for self defense and cheap enough to shoot a fair amount...

Old 06-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Most all handguns are more accurate than the shooter. Pick a caliber & gun that's comfortable for her and let get proficient with it.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #6

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

My SIG Sauer P250 subcompact would be perfect for her if she could deal with the long double action trigger.
Any baby Glock would work also.
I guess that it would depend on the budget as well.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #7

Thanks guys really appreciate it

Old 06-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #8

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I really like my light weight Smith & Wesson 38 spl for carry and it is surprisingly accurate. With 125 gr bullets it is a joy to shoot.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #9

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit4102 View Post
Gentlemen I'm looking for a accurate handgun for my wife.. The highest caliber she has shot is a 45 smallest a 38.. Any recommendations...
I recommend spending a few days at a range with her shooting an assortment of calibers and sizes looking for the combination that she is most comfortable with. My perception of a light recoil, smooth shooting handgun will be different from yours and, more importantly, hers. Also, different guns will have different perceived recoil with the same ammo so it's important for her to get first hand experience before choosing. One other point, as the gun gets smaller, the accuracy declines and the experience needed to handle it proficiently increases...also a small pocket or "mouse" gun is not a pleasant range experience. So if the idea is a gun for range and SD purposes that should be part of the decision process, a gun that she is averse to practicing with will do her no good when needed for defense.

Having said all of that, Glock, Smith and Wesson (M&P), Springfield Armory, Ruger, Kahr and Colt all make quality, accurate revolvers and semi-autos that will fit the bill.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

canebrake Likes This 
Old 06-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I recommend spending a few days at a range with her shooting an assortment of calibers and sizes looking for the combination that she is most comfortable with. My perception of a light recoil, smooth shooting handgun will be different from yours and, more importantly, hers. Also, different guns will have different perceived recoil with the same ammo so it's important for her to get first hand experience before choosing. One other point, as the gun gets smaller, the accuracy declines and the experience needed to handle it proficiently increases...also a small pocket or "mouse" gun is not a pleasant range experience. So if the idea is a gun for range and SD purposes that should be part of the decision process, a gun that she is averse to practicing with will do her no good when needed for defense.

Having said all of that, Glock, Smith and Wesson (M&P), Springfield Armory, Ruger, Kahr and Colt all make quality, accurate revolvers and semi-autos that will fit the bill.

I fully concur

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.