Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Handguns?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/handguns-65691/)

bandit4102 06-03-2012 02:18 AM

Handguns??

Gentlemen I'm looking for a accurate handgun for my wife.. The highest caliber she has shot is a 45 smallest a 38.. Any recommendations...

Brennan16 06-03-2012 02:23 AM

Concealed carry? Large frame, small frame? How big are her hands? What's the intended use?

bandit4102 06-03-2012 02:34 AM

Medium sized hands and yes she has her C&C.. More for target shooting and personal protection.. I use a browning Hi power and it's a little much for her..

Werminator 06-03-2012 02:39 AM

Maybe something like the ruger sr9c? That is somewhere between small and duty size and I live my sr9... if she wants smaller then perhaps a Kahr cw9? I shot a couple and they seemed very nice... also... 9mm is a very efficient round for self defense and cheap enough to shoot a fair amount...

TimKS 06-03-2012 02:49 AM

Most all handguns are more accurate than the shooter. Pick a caliber & gun that's comfortable for her and let get proficient with it.

Brennan16 06-03-2012 02:49 AM

My SIG Sauer P250 subcompact would be perfect for her if she could deal with the long double action trigger.
Any baby Glock would work also.
I guess that it would depend on the budget as well.

bandit4102 06-03-2012 02:59 AM

Thanks guys really appreciate it

hiwall 06-03-2012 03:28 AM

I really like my light weight Smith & Wesson 38 spl for carry and it is surprisingly accurate. With 125 gr bullets it is a joy to shoot.

Jpyle 06-03-2012 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandit4102 (Post 823173)
Gentlemen I'm looking for a accurate handgun for my wife.. The highest caliber she has shot is a 45 smallest a 38.. Any recommendations...

I recommend spending a few days at a range with her shooting an assortment of calibers and sizes looking for the combination that she is most comfortable with. My perception of a light recoil, smooth shooting handgun will be different from yours and, more importantly, hers. Also, different guns will have different perceived recoil with the same ammo so it's important for her to get first hand experience before choosing. One other point, as the gun gets smaller, the accuracy declines and the experience needed to handle it proficiently increases...also a small pocket or "mouse" gun is not a pleasant range experience. So if the idea is a gun for range and SD purposes that should be part of the decision process, a gun that she is averse to practicing with will do her no good when needed for defense.

Having said all of that, Glock, Smith and Wesson (M&P), Springfield Armory, Ruger, Kahr and Colt all make quality, accurate revolvers and semi-autos that will fit the bill.

armsmaster270 06-03-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 823265)
I recommend spending a few days at a range with her shooting an assortment of calibers and sizes looking for the combination that she is most comfortable with. My perception of a light recoil, smooth shooting handgun will be different from yours and, more importantly, hers. Also, different guns will have different perceived recoil with the same ammo so it's important for her to get first hand experience before choosing. One other point, as the gun gets smaller, the accuracy declines and the experience needed to handle it proficiently increases...also a small pocket or "mouse" gun is not a pleasant range experience. So if the idea is a gun for range and SD purposes that should be part of the decision process, a gun that she is averse to practicing with will do her no good when needed for defense.

Having said all of that, Glock, Smith and Wesson (M&P), Springfield Armory, Ruger, Kahr and Colt all make quality, accurate revolvers and semi-autos that will fit the bill.

I fully concur