Handgun for wolves. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun for wolves.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb
A 9mm will certainly kill a wolf. They are similar in size to a German Shepherd. My personal choice for a defense caliber is the .357mag especially in an area where concealment is not a must.

That being said if I'm in an area that could potentially have a brown bear I want a minimum of a .44mag. In Alaska the .44mag is a back up and a min of 300 win. Mag is carried to deal with the brown bear.
1) the wolves in question in idaho weigh about 250ish lbs. 2) most wolves are bigger than german shepards. 3) shoot a wolf w a 9 and if you dont kill him 1st shot or your in a tree you just screwed the pooch cuz the "pooch" will screw you up

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Old 01-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

It seems as if someone didn't look at the pictures.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Old 01-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb
A 9mm will certainly kill a wolf. They are similar in size to a German Shepherd. My personal choice for a defense caliber is the .357mag especially in an area where concealment is not a must.

That being said if I'm in an area that could potentially have a brown bear I want a minimum of a .44mag. In Alaska the .44mag is a back up and a min of 300 win. Mag is carried to deal with the brown bear.
A German Shepard?



image-393315141.jpg



image-1379579487.jpg



image-15174344.jpg



image-3399693190.jpg

Ol' shep must get BIG in your neck of the woods.
__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
 
Old 01-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
It seems as if someone didn't look at the pictures.
Me or the other people? Cuz the one in that pic is the size of a good size calve

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Old 01-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
1) the wolves in question in idaho weigh about 250ish lbs. 2) most wolves are bigger than german shepards. 3) shoot a wolf w a 9 and if you dont kill him 1st shot or your in a tree you just screwed the pooch cuz the "pooch" will screw you up

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
I'm tryin to imagin a pissed off hungry 250lb german shepard
Piss on a 357 or 9mm
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Old 01-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #16
mcb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 532
Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

1) the wolves in question in idaho weigh about 250ish lbs. 2) most wolves are bigger than german shepards. 3) shoot a wolf w a 9 and if you dont kill him 1st shot or your in a tree you just screwed the pooch cuz the "pooch" will screw you up

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
The AVERAGE grey wolf stands about 30 inches at the shoulder weighs about 80 pounds. The average red wolf weighs about 55 lbs, the average German shepherd is 75-80 lbs 27 inches tall. A 9mm will kill it, I believe I said I prefer a 357 mag. This will do the job even vs a methed up pcp using 250lb super wolf.
__________________
mcb is offline  
 
Old 01-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
It seems as if someone didn't look at the pictures.
I helped him out with that
__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
 
Old 01-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

A German Shepard?

<img src="http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37952"/>

<img src="http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37953"/>

<img src="http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37954"/>

<img src="http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37955"/>

Ol' shep must get BIG in your neck of the woods.
Thats about how big my wolf was...and every one iv ever seen in person up there

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Old 01-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb

The AVERAGE grey wolf stands about 30 inches at the shoulder weighs about 80 pounds. The average red wolf weighs about 55 lbs, the average German shepherd is 75-80 lbs 27 inches tall. A 9mm will kill it, I believe I said I prefer a 357 mag. This will do the job even vs a methed up pcp using 250lb super wolf.
We arent talking about Average grey wolves but canadian GREAT grey wolves

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

Thats about how big my wolf was...and every one iv ever seen in person up there

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
You've killed one of these monsters? WOW. I bet it's a bit spooky seeing one in person!
__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Giant wolves Chandler51 The Club House 6 01-22-2012 04:03 AM
On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs Gatekeeper Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 15 12-02-2011 04:15 AM
Re-introducing wolves Davyboy Hunting Forum 66 05-17-2011 05:27 PM
Grey Wolves De-Listed From ESL in 8 States alsaqr Politics, Religion and Controversy 3 05-04-2011 11:18 PM
Wolves Impact markerdown Hunting Forum 38 03-06-2010 04:39 PM