Handgun for wolves.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun for wolves.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BlueTurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boise,ID
Posts: 1,025
Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Handgun for wolves.

It was recently disclosed in a news story that wolves are now known to exist in every county in the state of Idaho. While discussing wolves with someone I know he asked me what kind of handgun I thought would be good for protection against wolves and if his 9mm would be okay. I had never really given this much thought and wasn't sure what to say. For myself I would carry my Super Blackhawk in .44 mag or my GP-100 in .357 mag. I have a really good load for my .44 mag that uses a 165-grain Hornady FP. I use the 158-grain Hornady HP-XTP for my .357 mag.

What do you guys think? What would you carry if you thought you might encounter an angry or hungry wolf? Would you trust a 9mm to do the job?

__________________
BlueTurf is offline  
 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

I think you need to do an FTF search on our wolf threads, show the guy the pictures, and then ask him what he thinks he should carry

After seeing those pics, I don't think I would carry anything less than a .44 mag at the absolute minimum if I were out in the wilds in wolf country.

Maybe a Saiga 12 loaded buck and ball, with as many extra mags as I can carry.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Old 01-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Id take my freedom arms 83 in 454 cassul. And hell no a 9 IS NOT enough gun.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BlueTurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boise,ID
Posts: 1,025
Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I think you need to do an FTF search on our wolf threads, show the guy the pictures, and then ask him what he thinks he should carry

After seeing those pics, I don't think I would carry anything less than a .44 mag at the absolute minimum if I were out in the wilds in wolf country.

Maybe a Saiga 12 loaded buck and ball, with as many extra mags as I can carry.
I saw those pics. I will carry my .44 mag if I ever expect to see wolves. I just might have my 30-30 with me. I agree that a 9mm is not near enough for protection against wolves. A 9mm shot might just piss them off.
__________________
BlueTurf is offline  
 
Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I think you need to do an FTF search on our wolf threads, show the guy the pictures, and then ask him what he thinks he should carry

After seeing those pics, I don't think I would carry anything less than a .44 mag at the absolute minimum if I were out in the wilds in wolf country.

Maybe a Saiga 12 loaded buck and ball, with as many extra mags as I can carry.
I agree IF you can honestly handle it - Big boolits dont do any good if they dont hit
The shotgun is a winner IMO
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Old 01-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shoobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Commiefornia USA
Posts: 1,532
Liked 186 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
It was recently disclosed in a news story that wolves are now known to exist in every county in the state of Idaho. While discussing wolves with someone I know he asked me what kind of handgun I thought would be good for protection against wolves and if his 9mm would be okay. I had never really given this much thought and wasn't sure what to say. For myself I would carry my Super Blackhawk in .44 mag or my GP-100 in .357 mag. I have a really good load for my .44 mag that uses a 165-grain Hornady FP. I use the 158-grain Hornady HP-XTP for my .357 mag.

What do you guys think? What would you carry if you thought you might encounter an angry or hungry wolf? Would you trust a 9mm to do the job?
When I am in the mountains, I always carry with me my S&W .44 mag.

If you go smaller, then you leave yourself at risk for black bears.

Black bears are everywhere, moreso than wolves.

So I would not worry about wolves at all.
__________________
Shoobee is offline  
 
Old 01-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shoobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Commiefornia USA
Posts: 1,532
Liked 186 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
I agree IF you can honestly handle it - Big boolits dont do any good if they dont hit
The shotgun is a winner IMO
Camera crew guards use shotguns in bear country, most notable the Mossberg model 590, although any slug-loaded shotgun would do.

But it is a pain carrying around your own shotgun. Ergo a .44 mag is more convenient.
__________________
Shoobee is offline  
 
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shoobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Commiefornia USA
Posts: 1,532
Liked 186 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I saw those pics. I will carry my .44 mag if I ever expect to see wolves. I just might have my 30-30 with me. I agree that a 9mm is not near enough for protection against wolves. A 9mm shot might just piss them off.
A wolf is just a big dog. Really big. But wherever there are wolves, there are also brown or black bears too. Ergo you are going to need the .44 mag eventually. Or else you might get the wolf, but the bear will get you.
__________________
Shoobee is offline  
 
Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweeper22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,425
Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Handguns for wolves? I'm against giving wolves handguns.

Seriously though, the wolves in those parts can get pretty big. I'd go with a minimum of either a 357mag or 10mm, and would feel more comfortable with a 44mag. With the right load a 45colt can work well too.

__________________
"The Future is Unwritten"
sweeper22 is offline  
 
Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
mcb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 532
Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

A 9mm will certainly kill a wolf. They are similar in size to a German Shepherd. My personal choice for a defense caliber is the .357mag especially in an area where concealment is not a must.

That being said if I'm in an area that could potentially have a brown bear I want a minimum of a .44mag. In Alaska the .44mag is a back up and a min of 300 win. Mag is carried to deal with the brown bear.

__________________
mcb is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Giant wolves Chandler51 The Club House 6 01-22-2012 03:03 AM
On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs Gatekeeper Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 15 12-02-2011 03:15 AM
Re-introducing wolves Davyboy Hunting Forum 66 05-17-2011 04:27 PM
Grey Wolves De-Listed From ESL in 8 States alsaqr Politics, Religion and Controversy 3 05-04-2011 10:18 PM
Wolves Impact markerdown Hunting Forum 38 03-06-2010 03:39 PM