Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Handgun for wolves. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/handgun-wolves-56069/)

BlueTurf 01-22-2012 09:11 PM

Handgun for wolves.

It was recently disclosed in a news story that wolves are now known to exist in every county in the state of Idaho. While discussing wolves with someone I know he asked me what kind of handgun I thought would be good for protection against wolves and if his 9mm would be okay. I had never really given this much thought and wasn't sure what to say. For myself I would carry my Super Blackhawk in .44 mag or my GP-100 in .357 mag. I have a really good load for my .44 mag that uses a 165-grain Hornady FP. I use the 158-grain Hornady HP-XTP for my .357 mag.

What do you guys think? What would you carry if you thought you might encounter an angry or hungry wolf? Would you trust a 9mm to do the job?

trip286 01-22-2012 09:17 PM

I think you need to do an FTF search on our wolf threads, show the guy the pictures, and then ask him what he thinks he should carry :)

After seeing those pics, I don't think I would carry anything less than a .44 mag at the absolute minimum if I were out in the wilds in wolf country.

Maybe a Saiga 12 loaded buck and ball, with as many extra mags as I can carry.

Marlinman 01-22-2012 09:48 PM

Id take my freedom arms 83 in 454 cassul. And hell no a 9 IS NOT enough gun.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

BlueTurf 01-22-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 685555)
I think you need to do an FTF search on our wolf threads, show the guy the pictures, and then ask him what he thinks he should carry :)

After seeing those pics, I don't think I would carry anything less than a .44 mag at the absolute minimum if I were out in the wilds in wolf country.

I saw those pics. I will carry my .44 mag if I ever expect to see wolves. I just might have my 30-30 with me. I agree that a 9mm is not near enough for protection against wolves. A 9mm shot might just piss them off.

HOSSFLY 01-22-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 685555)

I agree IF you can honestly handle it - Big boolits dont do any good if they dont hit :(
The shotgun is a winner IMO :cool:

Shoobee 01-22-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueTurf (Post 685551)
It was recently disclosed in a news story that wolves are now known to exist in every county in the state of Idaho. While discussing wolves with someone I know he asked me what kind of handgun I thought would be good for protection against wolves and if his 9mm would be okay. I had never really given this much thought and wasn't sure what to say. For myself I would carry my Super Blackhawk in .44 mag or my GP-100 in .357 mag. I have a really good load for my .44 mag that uses a 165-grain Hornady FP. I use the 158-grain Hornady HP-XTP for my .357 mag.

What do you guys think? What would you carry if you thought you might encounter an angry or hungry wolf? Would you trust a 9mm to do the job?

When I am in the mountains, I always carry with me my S&W .44 mag.

If you go smaller, then you leave yourself at risk for black bears.

Black bears are everywhere, moreso than wolves.

So I would not worry about wolves at all.

Shoobee 01-22-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 685660)
I agree IF you can honestly handle it - Big boolits dont do any good if they dont hit :(
The shotgun is a winner IMO :cool:

Camera crew guards use shotguns in bear country, most notable the Mossberg model 590, although any slug-loaded shotgun would do.

But it is a pain carrying around your own shotgun. Ergo a .44 mag is more convenient.

Shoobee 01-22-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueTurf (Post 685636)
I saw those pics. I will carry my .44 mag if I ever expect to see wolves. I just might have my 30-30 with me. I agree that a 9mm is not near enough for protection against wolves. A 9mm shot might just piss them off.

A wolf is just a big dog. Really big. But wherever there are wolves, there are also brown or black bears too. Ergo you are going to need the .44 mag eventually. Or else you might get the wolf, but the bear will get you.

sweeper22 01-22-2012 10:56 PM

Handguns for wolves? I'm against giving wolves handguns.

Seriously though, the wolves in those parts can get pretty big. I'd go with a minimum of either a 357mag or 10mm, and would feel more comfortable with a 44mag. With the right load a 45colt can work well too.

mcb 01-22-2012 11:02 PM

A 9mm will certainly kill a wolf. They are similar in size to a German Shepherd. My personal choice for a defense caliber is the .357mag especially in an area where concealment is not a must.

That being said if I'm in an area that could potentially have a brown bear I want a minimum of a .44mag. In Alaska the .44mag is a back up and a min of 300 win. Mag is carried to deal with the brown bear.