Handgun windage & elevation adjustments, huh? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun windage & elevation adjustments, huh?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I find that my sight picture is different from another person using the same gun. I might prefer the sights a little higher/lower left/right than another person. The adjustments allow me to customize the sight picture to me, rather than me adjusting to the gun.

My glock does not have and adjustable rear sight and I don't shoot with the target dead center , I have to aim left about an inch or 2 at 10 yards.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Redhawk @ 200 meters! I'm impressed. I was speaking more of snubnose guns with adjustable sights.

(How long is the sight radius on your Redhawk?)
The sight radius is 9 1/8 in., the normal loading is a 180 gr.Sierra that chronos @ 1665 fps.
This one of the early Redhawks (500 series)

TGR

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5676 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
This is from the S&W ‘Bodyguard’ site:

>User Adjustable: Windage and elevation, no disassembly required<.

It has a 1.9” barrel. Do people really target shoot with snubnoses?
its mainly a marketing tool. generally adjustable sights are a negative on a carry piece. most folks that S&W are aiming that model at dont know much about what makes a good ccw gun.

windage as in left or right is the most important thing in ccw. better to be off in the vertical than off in the lateral. the critical area in SD is much taller than wide. the veritical extends from just above the bottom of the breast bone to the top of the head. the horizontal limit is a little less than the width of the neck.

thats why elevation isnt critical for a self defense gun when poa is centermass. the poi can vary by nearly a foot either way but only a few inches left or right.

a lung shot may not stop the attacker in time. a scum bag hyped on drugs or adrenaline may not even feel a shot that is not centermass until its way too late for you.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-26-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #14

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Redhawk @ 200 meters! I'm impressed. I was speaking more of snubnose guns with adjustable sights.

(How long is the sight radius on your Redhawk?)
"Snub nose" -- No need IMO-
Any gun with a 4" or more barrel they do (or can) have a use - again IMO

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I find that my sight picture is different from another person using the same gun. I might prefer the sights a little higher/lower left/right than another person. The adjustments allow me to customize the sight picture to me, rather than me adjusting to the gun.

My glock does not have and adjustable rear sight and I don't shoot with the target dead center , I have to aim left about an inch or 2 at 10 yards.
Please allow me to chime in, all of this talk of adjustable rear sights, what ever happened to sight picture, sight alignment and trigger control

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 07-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #16

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
its mainly a marketing tool. generally adjustable sights are a negative on a carry piece. most folks that S&W are aiming that model at dont know much about what makes a good ccw gun. . (snip). .
See, it didn’t make any sense to me at all, but what do I know, so I asked.
I thought it was a con job on real short barreled guns, or at least those with a short sight radius.

I guess I just wanted to 'hear it'.
(The S&W isn't the only snub' I found with them.)

The point of the bigger adjustable sight stuff getting hung up on clothing is something I hadn’t even considered.
Thankx

Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr View Post
Please allow me to chime in, all of this talk of adjustable rear sights, what ever happened to sight picture, sight alignment and trigger control
When I shoot my glock and line it up with a perfect sight picture, it shoots to the right. I'm pretty good with pistols too. You could shoot my glock from a benchrest, it shoots right. My adjustment is almost natural at this point because I'm so familiar with the gun but an adjustable rear sight would allow me to have a perfect sight picture. Assuming that the adjustment never gets out of alignment.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-27-2011, 02:40 AM   #18

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

On hunting and target handguns used at 25 yds or more Adj, sights are a must. As for my carry guns no Adj sights. The sights can get caught on clothing or can change from being dropped etc. The fixed sight handgun for close range combat is the way to go.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:57 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5676 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
When I shoot my glock and line it up with a perfect sight picture, it shoots to the right. I'm pretty good with pistols too. You could shoot my glock from a benchrest, it shoots right. My adjustment is almost natural at this point because I'm so familiar with the gun but an adjustable rear sight would allow me to have a perfect sight picture. Assuming that the adjustment never gets out of alignment.
why dont you just drift the rear sight a little to the left??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-27-2011, 03:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
why dont you just drift the rear sight a little to the left??
I do, that's my solution to the problem on my particular gun. I shoot very well with it, it takes others a few shots to pick up it's flaw. It's a great gun to show why training with the gun you are going to rely on in an emergency is very important. Each one is unique in it's own way.

Hunter S. Thompson