Handgun Shotshell Question - effectiveness - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun Shotshell Question - effectiveness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 12:19 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10091 Times on 4352 Posts
Likes Given: 1609

diggs- used to live in Douglas County CO, and kept a mag of shot loads in my 1911 for the snakes when taking grandkids out in the stroller. Prairie dogs= snakes.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:26 AM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have used CCI .44 mag shotshells twice with deadly intent. First time was on a weasel in my cabin at a range of 5 feet. Worked well, but I learned, DO NOT shoot a .44 mag in the house!! No one else heard that shot, I heard it ALL. For 3 days. Second time was on a ptarmigan at about 25 feet. Didn't even inconvenience it. My opinion, useless.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #23

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Living in the desert, we have the regular pests at times, such as rattle snakes, jack rabbits (eat the plants) and such. I have always loaded my own handgun shotshells using Speer shot cups and #8 shot. I always have a good supply of shottys in .38, .44 and of course .22 rimfire. The .44"s will take rabbits within 15 yards fairly well out of my super blackhawk and it will also keep those pesky ravens away from my trash bin....

Jim................

Old 10-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I'm out working on our fences, etc. in prairie/badlands/sage covered areas, I carry my S&W Model 38. I believe it has a 1 7/8" barrel. I load it with shot shells for snakes. I even took a pigeon out of flight from about 25 feet with it once, but I think my cat finished the job for me.

When I'm out hiking on public land (not during hunting season) I conceal carry the same gun, but I load every other round with shot shell, and every other with wad cutters. I'd use JHP, but I have a ton of WC laying around. I do this so with two pulls of the trigger, I'm good for snake or mountain lion (common here), or even drug attic that thinks I'm after his pot plant or something.

When I'm out hunting this time of year, the snake threat is mostly gone and I'm more worried about mountain lion, and the occasional nuts-O you might run into in the back country. Then I carry .357 Mag with a 4" barrel.

I would never consider using shot shells as a primary self defense round against a human.

Just my $0.02 worth...

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 10-31-2009, 06:53 PM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
diggs- used to live in Douglas County CO, and kept a mag of shot loads in my 1911 for the snakes when taking grandkids out in the stroller. Prairie dogs= snakes.
I like Douglas County. I've done some work in that area. I carry the same way with shot shells, except in a speed loader. Snakes really don't bother me, except the ones that have that little rattle thingy on the end of their tail.

Even then, my brothers and I caught 2 in New Mexico (on separate occasions, one with a milk jug w/ the top cut off) and kept them for a couple years. We named them Charles and Manson. After we got to drinking, Tim would periodically take one out of its cage and throw it on our pool table. The pissed off snake with its hissing and rattling was a definite crowd pleaser.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Snakes really don't bother me, except the ones that have that little rattle thingy on the end of their tail.

Even then, my brothers and I caught 2 in New Mexico (on separate occasions, one with a milk jug w/ the top cut off) and kept them for a couple years. We named them Charles and Manson. After we got to drinking, Tim would periodically take one out of its cage and throw it on our pool table. The pissed off snake with its hissing and rattling was a definite crowd pleaser.
Ah good times...I love to do that at parties to, right after I play a few rounds of good old wholesome Russian Roulette.

NOT!!!
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 11-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Ahhh, c'mon bud ,the worst thing that could happen is you might loose a couple fingers, probably not even a limb. I don't even think those prairie rattlers even have that much neuro toxin.

Hey, I never said it was smart, but it was fun at the time. And that was one of the mild times.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:32 AM   #28

I used to keep shotshells in my .357 (.38 shotshells) for snakes n little critters in the desert, but my buddy n I used to get those explosive targets and shoot them with .22's and all of that, and at, oohhh 10-15 yards, about 10+ steps away, those shotshells wouldnt ignite an explosive target. soo self defense? EEEHHH, get those "Magsafe" rounds if over-penetration is a concern, but shotshells (the ones I used to carry...little aluminum cased guys with blue plastic tips? sound about right?) were about as scary as a blank, maybe rock-salt. pistol whippin someone would probably be more effective.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:49 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I tried using a snake shot round on a Rattlesnake here in Az while dove hunting because I could not bring my shotgun around. It seemed just to piss him off more the hurt him. I used my 12ga. on him when I was able to turn around and get a better shot at him.

Shot shell for a pistol is a waste of money. As for self defense that is for you to choose. But for me no way, I will stick to my HP's.