Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun Shotshell Question - effectiveness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 AM   #11
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
A good option would be using a nice wadcutter round. Less blast than the hollowpoint defensive rounds out there on the market today, and you will still get great penetration and energy transfer, especially at close ranges.
Wadcutters are for range use at best. Not a good or reasonable option for defense. First choice is JHP second would be FMJ. Wad cutters, is a tampon round when it it come to stopping the threat.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:41 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8312 Times on 3593 Posts
Likes Given: 1275

Small shot simply does not have the mass to penetrate to the depth of vital organs. And any firearm with a rifled bore has a tendency to "doughnut" the shot pattern. IMHO, stick with the ball loads. Used to load and carry 38 and 45 shotloads for SNAKES at range of 10 ft. For bad guys, JHP.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You shouldn't dismiss all wadcutters without doing some research first:

Wicked Wadcutters?

Here's an example of penetration with a good wadcutter:

Buffalo Bore Ammunition 150gr standard pressure Hard Cast Wad Cutter

Keep the choices open and do research on all aspects before immediately dismissing an idea.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Would these even be good for snakes at 10 feet? Just doesn't seem like it would carry much energy any distance. I've thought about picking some up for one of my 357s to use for a snake gun while working our hunting lands during the summer (we have some trophy copperheads and rattlers) but usually end up taking a 410.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #15

here's kind of a noob question. is it advisable to shoot shotshells through a rifled barrel? even one that short? i know they sell them so people do it, but it seems like it would degrade the grooves. i don't know, i don't have any experience with these types of shells so i was just wondering that. it's kinda the reason i never tried them in my own guns.

as far as self defense goes, i would think one big projectile with a decent load behind it would get the job done.

also, there is talk about the taurus judge in this thread. i don't know about how well the gun is built, but the last time i went to the range the guy next to me was shooting the 410 shells through it and at around ten feet the spread pattern was about the size of a human face. even with a weaker load behind it, i think that would at least be somewhat effective.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8312 Times on 3593 Posts
Likes Given: 1275

IF shooting shot loads thru a rifled barrel hurts it, there is a SERIOUS problem with quality of the barrel. Lead shot is MUCH softer than the steel of a barrel- and with many shot cartridges, the shot is actually in a plastic cup. It is a good idea to clean the barrel to remove any tace of plastic fouling, but no, will not hurt the gun.

BTW, this is not an unusual question- gets asked a lot.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
IF shooting shot loads thru a rifled barrel hurts it, there is a SERIOUS problem with quality of the barrel. Lead shot is MUCH softer than the steel of a barrel- and with many shot cartridges, the shot is actually in a plastic cup. It is a good idea to clean the barrel to remove any tace of plastic fouling, but no, will not hurt the gun.

BTW, this is not an unusual question- gets asked a lot.
now i know. thx.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #18

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I keep a few handgun shot shells handy for those few times I may find a use for them, such as injured birds, snakes n' such. Self defense? No way. Even the Judge has it's distance limitations unless the shooter is using the .45 Colt caliber ammo, or slugs. Fun gun, I'd like to own one, but I would not carry one for self defense.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 10-24-2009, 03:03 AM   #19

Default Not for Defence I guess

I was using google today and found an article that seems to answer this question. Gives examples of range tests with many calibers. Some interesting info here. Link posted below.

(Handgun Shot Loads Work For Pests But Not Defense)

Link > GunWeek.com

NRA Member

Old 10-25-2009, 12:16 AM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I have always had 22mag shot shells around the house for the occasional Starling (a glossy black bird that takes over our Robin's nests and eats their young) infestation. They are mean birds and have even swooped down at my dog and 3 year old so I started killing them occasionally. I hate to do so, but it seems it only takes one and they disappear for a while. Also, the authorities here don't really seem to rush anywhere in the case of minimal gunfire.

But this summer I took a CCW class from Colorado Handgun Safety and they actually recommended this type of load for home defense, for the purpose that it will not penetrate any shared walls in case of a miss and will also cause considerable damage to the intruder, most of it being when the pellets have to be dug out, rather than the entry wound. After some research I found that they aren't appropriate for home defense.

I do still carry one speed loader full of the .357 shot shells on walks with my dog. We walk in a hilly/prairie type area here in Southern CO with grassy areas snakes would love and have been spotted. They're good for that still.