Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun Selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 02:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Don't knock Glock...just don't buy it. LOL! Seriously, I think that XD will do you right. I just bought an XDm. I love it more than my G17 and I haven't even put a round through it yet.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #12

I would go with the Kahr CW45 or CW9. The price is not bad and the and the 45's recoil is very manageable also they are very compact in size.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #13

Likes Given: 1

Default I agree with this (IMHO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
Thanks for more information. When it comes to a 9mm there are a whole lot of choices especially in the compact versions. Some of my recommendations are the Ruger SR9c, Glock 26, Glock19, Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm, and a Compact Sig Saurer. I would stay clear of Taurus, because based on my research and what others have experienced with thier firearms they're not very good. You might want to take into consideration a K frame sized S&W revolver like the model 19, 65, and 66. They all are .357 magnum/.38 special.
As stated above Ruger SR9C, Springfield XD or XDM, and Glock in 9mm are all great choices. Another excellent choice is the Beretta PX4. These are all quality pistols at affordable prices. They are all easy to break down and clean. They are all "mainstream" so when you need accessories or parts you will be able to find them. If you want something small to carry a Kahr PM9 is a good choice to look at. I can say that I haven't heard many good things said about Tauras. I personally am not into revolvers, but S&W and Ruger make some very nice ones. I also am not a big fan of the 1911 platform, but if I were going to get one of those it would be a Kimber Tactical or STI Guardian both in 9mm. (.45 is too expensive to shoot, and to be a good shot and fully comfortable with your pistol, you need to shoot alot).

Old 07-07-2011, 02:28 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1099 Times on 714 Posts
Likes Given: 627

i have the ruger sr9 and springfield xd, i love them. the ruger is small but not so small it still feels right in my grip. and my xd. just well i love it.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:21 AM   #15

Your friend is correct about argentine guns.I hope your life is of more value than a cheap gun.Taurus is probably the crappiest of the three.The Smith ONLY hold 8? How many ya need? Many good suggestions are given by the other members. I like the Springfield xd.Sell many of them and none ever are returned for repair. Buy quality ,you wont regret it. Let me give you a hint when you go into purchase a handgun.Sure signs of a novice is that they slam the slide shut with one hand and they look for the firearms that hold the most "bullets".

Last edited by vincev; 07-07-2011 at 03:29 AM.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Your going to have to find something that you like to carry and shoot. Something that feels good in your hand. If it is to heavy you will leave it at home.

Me I like my Springfield XD45C with my Taurus Model 85 as a back up. Sometimes I carry my Sig P239 or 229 in 9mm.