Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun Selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Handgun Selection

I was thinking about picking up a handgun. Personally, I don't consider having one that's big enough as half my arm, so thinking into something compact would be my best choice. To date, the only aviable models I've found in the market are these:

-Bersa-Thunder Ultra compact Pro
-S&W Chief Special
-Taurus PT738

My first choice's the Bersa, but a friend of mine told me it in this way "Argentina is only good at making three things: a milanesa, women; and bad jokes." So, seriously, are argentinan weapons that bad? What are the risks? Are they too defective?
Anyways, I was thinking then in the Chief Special, but I don't like the idea of only 8 shots.
And the Taurus is quite small, but only holds 6 shots.

I would like to know about pros and cons of argentinan guns. And if there would be any better options to the other models I've shown.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This raises a lot of questions. What's the intention you're picking the handgun for? What caliber(s) were you thinking about? What's your budget range?

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-05-2011, 02:04 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I was thinking into compactability, magazine size, and more importantly, recoil. The Bersa is 9mm Luger, the Chief special is 9mm Luger and the Taurus is .38 SPL. I though about a .45 but then I realised it woul have a goo kick, and they wasn't aviable the models with a good mag size.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:07 AM   #4

Liked 1415 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 989

I have the Bersa in .45. Great gun. I would not buy another Taurus no matter how cheap it was.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:46 AM   #5

Liked 182 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I think it would be worthwhile to find a way to expand your seach in areas where more options are available. That said, everything I hear tells me that Bersa makes a really solid little gun. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if it fit my needs.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:54 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for more information. When it comes to a 9mm there are a whole lot of choices especially in the compact versions. Some of my recommendations are the Ruger SR9c, Glock 26, Glock19, Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm, and a Compact Sig Saurer. I would stay clear of Taurus, because based on my research and what others have experienced with thier firearms they're not very good. You might want to take into consideration a K frame sized S&W revolver like the model 19, 65, and 66. They all are .357 magnum/.38 special.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakarovJAC View Post
Well, I was thinking into compactability, magazine size, and more importantly, recoil. The Bersa is 9mm Luger, the Chief special is 9mm Luger and the Taurus is .38 SPL. I though about a .45 but then I realised it woul have a goo kick, and they wasn't aviable the models with a good mag size.

I carry a full sized Kimber Polymer Target 1911 with target sights and it holds 14 +1 rounds of .45 ACP. The recoil on this with 230 FMJ or Remington Golden Sabre Hollow points which are +P loads don't have anymore recoil then a gov't model 45. Matter of fact, I'm certain that the recoil is LESS then shooting a model 586 S&W revolver that had a 4 inch barrel and is shooting Magnum factory loads.
The secret to carrying a full sized 1911 is to have the proper holster and gun belt. If you email me back channel with your standard email address I'll email you pictures and all the details.
The Kimber I have is no longer available as NEW, but it can be found used for about $700. You could also buy a Para Ordinance full sized 45 that holds 14 rounds of 45.
HTH
Bob

Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5598 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 4684

So, the Bersa Thunder in .380 didn't interest you? I had one and found it very compact & reliable & reasonably accurate & not bad looking...until my sister found it to have the same qualities. I bleve they have a 7 & a 15 round version; i had the 7 (9 with extended mag with finger rest). I liked how it would sit in a back jeans pocket pretyy comfily.

I will pick up another one some day, hopefully in the flat nickel finish again.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 07-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #9

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Here's the gun for you: It's NOT a glock!

The Springfield Armory XD9801HC 16+1 9mm

Springfield 9mm 3" SUBCMPT ESSENTIAL $430.00 SHIPS FREE << Click Here

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 07-06-2011 at 03:06 AM.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like a good deal, personally, I'm not a big fan of Glock. I'll try and get more info about it.