Handgun recommendations - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have a steel framed CZ and I really enjoy it. Inherently accurate and pleasant to shoot. It seems like you are leaning to the poly pistols, so I wont bring up my purchase.

Springfield XD would be another option. The XDm9 has gotten a LOT of good reviews. I have shot an XDm40 and think that it is a fine weapon based solely on my brief exposure to it. I have never shot a PX4, but I have a friend that swears by the one he owns. I hope to shoot it soon.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Old 08-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 13

tbjers,

The problem is, guns are like other personal items... You have to find the one's that fit YOU best, not ol' Jo Blo. Glocks are excellent quality guns. But I wouldn't own one! To me, they just don't have the "feel" I like in a pistol.

There is nothing that I (or anyone else) can say that would fit YOUR gun needs. It's all up to you to find that "sweet thang" with a trigger. We can only suggest based on what WE like...

Old 08-29-2009, 01:11 AM   #13

Liked 328 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Do you have a specific caliber in mind? It sounds like probably 9mm, maybe 40sw.

In the $300-600 range, some of the best values can be found in offerings from CZ, Taurus, S&W, Springfield, and Ruger. Between those comapanies there are plenty of options in both caliber and frame size, whether poly or steel. For me personally, I'd start with CZ if you're looking for a steel gun. For poly, I'd probably take a long look at the P-07, Spring XD, and SW Sigma and M&P. Then of course there's the SR9...the list goes on and on. Just my opinion, but I feel pretty good about a lot of the guns these five manufacturers are offering for $500 or so.

Fine tuning your choice boils down to your own needs and trigger time.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 34 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Default I'd get the PX4 Storm

That's what I did, I asked around and got mixed opinions, I bought the PX4 at Buds gun shop.com never toughed it but when I saw it I had to have it, and I have never looked back. Maybe I got lucky that it fit my hand prefect
and I can shoot the bulls eye completely out of the target at 7 to 10 yards, its easy to field strip and clean and has a hair trigger mines a .45 so I'm looking at maybe the PX4 in 9mm. I say get the PX4 you can't go wrong, but that's just my opinion and I could be wrong. Good Luck gun shopping

Old 08-31-2009, 07:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgnwdc View Post
That's what I did, I asked around and got mixed opinions, I bought the PX4 at Buds gun shop.com never toughed it but when I saw it I had to have it, and I have never looked back. Maybe I got lucky that it fit my hand prefect
and I can shoot the bulls eye completely out of the target at 7 to 10 yards, its easy to field strip and clean and has a hair trigger mines a .45 so I'm looking at maybe the PX4 in 9mm. I say get the PX4 you can't go wrong, but that's just my opinion and I could be wrong. Good Luck gun shopping
I handled several of the guns at the gun store, and the only one that felt like it really fit was the PX4. It was a perfect match. I love the way it feels in my hand. Since I haven't really fired a handgun in forever (10+ years) I doubt it matters what gun I get in the beginning as far as grouping goes. I just wanted to know if anybody had compelling reasons for or against either one of these two handguns or for a third option that I should look into.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Do you have a specific caliber in mind? It sounds like probably 9mm, maybe 40sw.

In the $300-600 range, some of the best values can be found in offerings from CZ, Taurus, S&W, Springfield, and Ruger. Between those comapanies there are plenty of options in both caliber and frame size, whether poly or steel. For me personally, I'd start with CZ if you're looking for a steel gun. For poly, I'd probably take a long look at the P-07, Spring XD, and SW Sigma and M&P. Then of course there's the SR9...the list goes on and on. Just my opinion, but I feel pretty good about a lot of the guns these five manufacturers are offering for $500 or so.

Fine tuning your choice boils down to your own needs and trigger time.
I was looking at 9mm, mainly for the lower recoil if I shoot at the range. I might consider going to a heavier caliber after I've put some thousand rounds through my first gun. A guy I know owns a SW M&P, I will talk to him and see if I can't test his.

I have yet to even see, yet lay a hand on a CZ P-07, a gun that apparently has excellent recoil handling and shoots really tight groups. I am worried about getting the P-07 without even holding it first. At least with the PX4 I know that the grip fits perfectly and the gun feels good in my hand.

Tags
beretta, compare