Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Handgun recommendations

Hello,

I am new to the forum and I wanted to see if any of you had any alternative suggestions for a handgun. A few weeks ago I looked at several different guns at the local store. For various reasons I elected not to get a Glock, so those are already off the drawing board.

The gun that I fell for was the Beretta PX4 Storm. I love the grip and the way the gun is balanced. I wanted to use it to go shoot at the range and for personal defense.

Now, can you guys recommend any viable and preferably cheaper alternatives to this handgun? One that I've read great reviews about is the CZ P-07 Duty, which supposedly is great for CC as well. I can't get a CC until I naturalize (which should be soon considering I've been in the country for years now), so maybe that's not something I will weigh heavily.

So, between these two, the Beretta PX4 Storm and the CZ P07 Duty, which one would you guys recommend? Also, are there any great alternatives to these two?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbjers View Post
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I wanted to see if any of you had any alternative suggestions for a handgun. A few weeks ago I looked at several different guns at the local store. For various reasons I elected not to get a Glock, so those are already off the drawing board.

The gun that I fell for was the Beretta PX4 Storm. I love the grip and the way the gun is balanced. I wanted to use it to go shoot at the range and for personal defense.

Now, can you guys recommend any viable and preferably cheaper alternatives to this handgun? One that I've read great reviews about is the CZ P-07 Duty, which supposedly is great for CC as well. I can't get a CC until I naturalize (which should be soon considering I've been in the country for years now), so maybe that's not something I will weigh heavily.

So, between these two, the Beretta PX4 Storm and the CZ P07 Duty, which one would you guys recommend? Also, are there any great alternatives to these two?
Maybe stop by the 'Introductions' thread and let us know a little about yourself and your experience with firearms.

Welcome to the community. Enjoy.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Choosing a handgun is more than holding it in the store. How it feels in your hand is one thing - how it shoots from your hand can be another. The only, repeat only, way to find what best suits you is to actually run some rounds through them.

Find a range that rents the guns you're interested in and shoot them - it's the only way really. BTW, the 2 you mention are fine guns and there are a lot of others as well. I also recommend you jump on over to introductions and tell us a little about yourself...

Last edited by NGIB; 08-28-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Choosing a handgun is more than holding it in the store. How it feels in your hand is one thing - how it shoots from your hand can be another. The only, repeat only, way to find what best suits you is to actually run some rounds through them.

Find a range that rents the guns you're interested in and shoot them - it's the only way really. BTW, the 2 you mention are fine guns and there are a lot of others as well. I also recommend you jump on over to introductions and tell us a little about yourself...
Thanks for the input! Since I am really new to the whole field of handguns, I think it won't make much of a difference in the beginning. I just want a reliable gun that will shoot and perform well. The fact that both the guns I mentioned have very low recoil is good since I would like to focus on learning how to shoot before I go for any of the heavier calibers. I will see if there are any ranges around Charlotte, NC that can rent me any of these guns to try before I buy!

I also jumped over to introductions:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f2/new-forums-17458/

Old 08-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I do not have experience with the particular guns you speak of, I do know that CZ and Beretta are both very good weapons and you wouldn't go wrong with either.
As was stated above, the only way to truly find out if a gun is right for you is to actually shoot it. Find a range that will let you rent the gun you will be shooting, or if you have a friend that has handguns, ask the friend to take you to a range so you can try out his guns.
That being said, may I also throw a couple more guns on the plate: Springfield XD compact, Smith & Wesson M&P or Sigma series, There are also some very fine 1911 style compact pistols out there, most are a little pricey though.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
I do not have experience with the particular guns you speak of, I do know that CZ and Beretta are both very good weapons and you wouldn't go wrong with either.
As was stated above, the only way to truly find out if a gun is right for you is to actually shoot it. Find a range that will let you rent the gun you will be shooting, or if you have a friend that has handguns, ask the friend to take you to a range so you can try out his guns.
That being said, may I also throw a couple more guns on the plate: Springfield XD compact, Smith & Wesson M&P or Sigma series, There are also some very fine 1911 style compact pistols out there, most are a little pricey though.
I will see if I can find a range that will rent out guns! I have a friend that works in law enforcement, but he's mostly a Glock kind of guy, and I just don't like the way those feel in my hand at all. Apparently he has a S&W M&P as well, I think, maybe I can try that one out.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #7

You now have a plan. I can't over state how important it is to actually put some rounds through a gun before buying. A few years ago I was browsing my local shop and picked up a CZ P-01. The thing felt like it was made for me personally, the most comfortable gun I had ever held.

A few months later I picked one up on a trade and it still felt great. Took it to the range and I couldn't shoot it for spit. Never really figured out why I couldn't shoot this gun well but I eventually traded it away - good lesson learned...

Old 08-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #8

Why no Glocks? I love Glocks.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbjers View Post
I have a friend that works in law enforcement, but he's mostly a Glock kind of guy, and I just don't like the way those feel in my hand at all.
Explains the no Glocks pretty well I think as they're not for everybody...

Old 08-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by meek View Post
Why no Glocks? I love Glocks.
Well, they are indeed some fine weapons, but I don't like the way they feel, which is a bit upsetting since I've heard great things about them. I also have younger children, and I would like have some kind of extra safety on top of a gun safe. The Glocks are generally lacking in some of the safety features compared to say the Beretta PX4 Storm, or so I've come to understand it. Please correct me if I am in error here!

Tags
beretta, compare