Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Handgun Penetration (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/handgun-penetration-15471/)

xxxmikey 07-06-2009 04:22 PM

Handgun Penetration

Hey all, im new to this forum andhave a question. A guy i know owns a jewlers and not long ago was robbed at gun point, he then chased the guy down the street and the robber turned and fired. The round hit the shop owner but it hit his mobile phone, and bounced off. There was a small hole in his suit but the round didnt go past the phone, it bounced off.
Is this possible, the guy now thinks he is absoloutly indestructable but would a round from a pistol really be deflected that much if you think it has to completely bounce off at a 90 degree angle to avoid hitting him.
I have a few rifles and a shotgun and am not too familiar with handguns.

If this is true then why are we not equipping the armed forces with our old mobile phones, it dont make sense to me.

cheers guys.

mike.

ACES 6 07-06-2009 06:29 PM

There are so many variables and random possibilities here, I couldn't even begin to guess what could've happened. Without knowing any answers to some basic questions, i.e., caliber, distance, etc., I would give this one up to plain-ass dumb luck.

CA357 07-06-2009 07:02 PM

First off, welcome to the FTF community.

As far as bullet deflection, it sounds like it just wasn't that guys time. :cool:

robocop10mm 07-06-2009 07:11 PM

Smaller caliber handguns like .22, .25 and .32 may well do something like this. A .380 might in the proper circumstances. Anything larger/more powerful is not likely to be stopped by a modern cell phone.

Stealie 07-06-2009 10:57 PM

Yeah to many variables I would say he was very lucky. Check this site for some very good info on projectile penatration:

The Box O' Truth - The Box O' Truth

matt g 07-06-2009 11:27 PM

I'm calling bull****. I'm on my 3rd phone in as many months because I've bounced them off of a wall or the floor. I don't see them holding up to any sort of bullet.

Maybe the robber has a pellet pistol. Many look like full sized handguns.

Shotgun Shooter 07-06-2009 11:30 PM

I'd need to see any pictures of said pistol in order to know what caliber it is.
But,sounds like a pellet or maybe even a 22/25.

S.S.

RL357Mag 07-06-2009 11:39 PM

Smaller caliber rounds (.22 thru .38S&W)can be stopped by a cell phone, depending on the cell phone - hell, the cell phones of the 1980's would stop a mortar round. Someone on another Forum posted a similar story about a cell phone stopping a .223 - this sounds like BS to me, and I am ready to sacrifice an old cell phone to prove it...

Dillinger 07-06-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 125748)
this sounds like BS to me, and I am ready to sacrifice an old cell phone to prove it...

Ooooh! Oooooh! I wanna see! I wanna seeeeeeee!!!!

Shotgun Shooter 07-06-2009 11:46 PM

I'm ready to use my current cell phone [env2]. Big piece of junk if there ever was one.

S.S.