Handgun ownership ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun ownership ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Handgun ownership ?

My brother has a ruger single six for over 30 years and would like to sell it. Problem is he can't remember if it was registered in his name or his brother in law. It was their trapping gun and neither remember. I thought it would be as simple as providing the serial no. to a dealer to transfer but they claimed to be unable. So i tried the local police with no help. I'm in Pa. if anyone can help. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pm c3shooter bout it. The dirty old man is the local gun laws encyclopedia......just don't stop in front of his jazzy chair-he'll run over your ankles welcome to the forum. Please go by the intro section and tell us a bit about yourself.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Just tell him to sell it. It's not like either one of them are going to report it stolen. If anything happens with the gun in the future they will both know it was sold. They should each keep a copy of any paperwork involved. It's really no big deal.
Btw the ffls do not have any way to track a gun. The cops do.

I don't need No stinking signature.

rhyno13 Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #4

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Just tell him to sell it. It's not like either one of them are going to report it stolen. If anything happens with the gun in the future they will both know it was sold. They should each keep a copy of any paperwork involved. It's really no big deal.
Btw the ffls do not have any way to track a gun. The cops do.
Pretty much it---As long as a FTF deal is legal there ------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Pretty much it---As long as a FTF deal is legal there ------
Is there any other kind than an FTF deal

Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #6

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjroadie View Post
My brother has a ruger single six for over 30 years and would like to sell it. Problem is he can't remember if it was registered in his name or his brother in law. It was their trapping gun and neither remember. I thought it would be as simple as providing the serial no. to a dealer to transfer but they claimed to be unable. So i tried the local police with no help. I'm in Pa. if anyone can help. Thanks.
Registered???

Doesn't sound right to me...IIRC NV is the only state with some sort of registration requirement...Go to the Pa. DOJ site and look up private sales...

Most of the time all it takes is a paper handgun permit to transfer ownership legally (not sure about the laws in PA though...) If you hold a valid paper permit, it proves you have passed a BG check...

Things like that are usually not up LE's alley, they are there to clean up AFTER the law is broken...

Last edited by vincent; 11-16-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #7

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Is there any other kind than an FTF deal
Not to my likeing
Was a bit disappointed on a couple "long distance" deals but after about 75 or so i guess i've been pretty lucky

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Not to my likeing
Was a bit disappointed on a couple "long distance" deals but after about 75 or so i guess i've been pretty lucky
Yep. Say so

Old 11-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 34

In PA just go to a dealer, firearm in hand and do a transfer.
You might find info on PAFOA forum. Laws are sometimes updated especially after 30 yrs.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8692 Times on 3764 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Now be nice, or I'll whack you with my aluminum walker!

PA has no provision for registration of firearms. However, as Crazy Charlie noted (thanx, Charlie!) PA does require that all sales of HANDGUNS go through a dealer, who does the instacheck thing.

From the PAFOA-

1.Do I have to register my firearms in Pennsylvania?
No, in fact in Pennsylvania it is actually illegal for any government or police agency to keep a registry of firearms per 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4 (Registration of firearms). If you legally possess bring your firearms into the Pennsylvania or come into possession of the firearms legally, no further action is required.

It should be noted however that all transfers of handguns in Pennsylvania are required to go through the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) and as such the Pennsylvania State Police keep a "Sales Database" of all handguns purchased within the Commonwealth. While almost any casual observer can see that this database clearly violates the spirit of 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4 (Registration of firearms), in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court agreed with the Pennsylvania State Police that because the database is not a complete record of all handgun ownership (as people bringing handguns into the state do not have to register them), it does not.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt