Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun for my wife, but which one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 03:53 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Let her decide what HER gun will be!

Trust the old man on this one.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-06-2011, 04:11 AM   #22

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
Let her decide what HER gun will be!

Trust the old man on this one.
Yes sir,i cant override experience and wisdom..

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #23

As a female trying to decide what my concealed carry will be, I have this advice for you: If you can get her to research different types of pistols and go to the range and try as many different models as she can, do it. I've made the decision to protect myself a few months ago and have steadily been doing research, going to different gun ranges (different ones give me different pistols to try), asking questions on here, etc. and I have changed my mind a few times. With that alone, it may be worth having your wife do her research. Some things you can do for her, but nothing will replace her actually going to the range. To me, it's an important decision worth spending some time on. Also, don't stop there. Once she decides on what she's most comfortable with, make her go to the range and practice. God forbid there be a situation in which she needs to use her CC and fumbles with it because she's rusty or has never even gotten proficient with it. Anyway, my two cents.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #24

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Dont get me wrong everyone, taking her to a range and letting her shoot different guns would b ideal and even fun for me.BUT we live in a rural country area and the nearest range is in tulsa which is a pretty good drive for us. The good thing is,is tht i own 40 acres and have a general area where i shoot.. So with tht said, i can shoot anytime i wAnt to, there isnt any lack of tht. But when it comes to trying different guns before we buy one, thts a lil harder

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #25

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Dont get me wrong everyone, taking her to a range and letting her shoot different guns would b ideal and even fun for me.BUT we live in a rural country area and the nearest range is in tulsa which is a pretty good drive for us. The good thing is,is tht i own 40 acres and have a general area where i shoot.. So with tht said, i can shoot anytime i wAnt to, there isnt any lack of tht. But when it comes to trying different guns before we buy one, thts a lil harder
My wife is very proficient with a 1911 and competes in IDPA with a Kimber UltraCarry (funny many folks told her that was an UNSUITABLE gun that would be too hard for her to shoot, not me). That being said BOTH my wife and my daughter are big Kahr fans and they are the CC handgun of choice for both of them. The slim grip and lack of extraneous stuff (point and shoot) were BIG factors in the decision.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #26

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Whatever you get her, make sure she shoots it often. I'm 100% convinced that no gun/caliber is too much, as long as you shoot if often. I remember the first time I shot my 9mm (Glock 17). I thought, what the heck have I got myself into!? After 100 rounds my hands were shaking. A few thousand rounds later, and it felt like I was shooting a bb gun. I just bought my first .40 caliber (Glock 27) a while back, and that's already getting comfortable. I guess there's some muscles that you normally don't use if you don't shoot, so it can take a few weeks to get them in the proper shape.

By the way, my wife has a Walther PK 380 and a Bodyguard 380.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I *showed* my wife several different options (internet and magazine pictures) and we discussed the pros and cons for CCW and her needs. I wouldn't call her a dedicated shooter, but she was raised with all types of weapons and can throw a mean tomahawk. She's a good shot with several types of firearms.

She said "I want a revolver."
I said "ok, how about this one?" (I showed her a S&W Centennial Airweight, J-frame, 5-shot .38SPL rated +P, hammerless DAO)
She said "That's the one I want."
I said "ok."

...literally 3 minutes later I found a smokin' BIN deal on GB and had it bought.

I got her some light target loads for practice and a cushy Pachmayer grip but it still bruises the web area of her hand pretty good.
She also struggles with the DA trigger pull (as do many).
Might have to suggest the 2-finger pull as mentioned above.

She said "I'm gonna get it - I'm not giving up - don't you dare sell it!"
God love her.

She just passed her CCW qualification yesterday with an XD9 but it's too big to carry (for her).

If she ultimately gives up (she's stubborn!) I'm leaning toward steering her to a 9mm Kahr or Ruger as mentioned above...time will tell.

Good luck with the Missus Mr. Wray.

Be Well.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #28

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

I plan on giving her most of the choice but i think tht i need to make the final ok. The reason y i say this is because we have browsed once and she picked one just because it had a pink handle,lol..
Haha my wife was the same until I told her we could have it duracoated if she INSISTS it have pink on it. She her heart set on a Walther pk380.

ThinkFast...your life depends on it.

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters

Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2560 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Your wife (& you) needs to visit this site: Cornered Cat

It may help you both avoid a few pitfalls.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 09-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #30
jyo

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Small 9mm for wife.

I currently have two Kahr CW9 9mm pistols (one for me, one for the wife)---100% reliable---shoots right to point of aim---very compact and lightweight---great triggers---moderate recoil---slim construction. My wife shoots them well---I find it handy to have two of the same so that she could operate either one if need be. A Walther PPS 9mm would be a good choice also, but at a higher price.