Handgun for my wife - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun for my wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 183 Times on 163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat89

Lol a gun for any occasion is better than flowers! What says I love you and want you to live forever better than a gun
Lol wish my GF liked guns as much as you

Old 03-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Have her look at the Ruger SR9c. I got one for my wife and after shooting hers I traded my G19 for one for myself. The Glock grips feel a little big for me and my wife's hand are smaller. While she could shoot the G19 it was not the best fit. The pistol has to feel right to her not to you so let her choose what she wants. The Ruger sells for about $400.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6155 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1753

This Lady Sig P238 is what my wife carries the most.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #14

Liked 246 Times on 163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Have her look at the Ruger SR9c. I got one for my wife and after shooting hers I traded my G19 for one for myself. The Glock grips feel a little big for me and my wife's hand are smaller. While she could shoot the G19 it was not the best fit. The pistol has to feel right to her not to you so let her choose what she wants. The Ruger sells for about $400.
I would suggest the SR9 also. Ruger quality and reasonable price. Not sure what your budget will alow but the CZ mentioned by Jäger is a great weapon with "slim" grip.
If you can find a range or LGS with a large inventory let her handle several different styles. It is extremely difficult to be proficient with a weapon you aren't comfortable with.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #15

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I started my wife off with a S&W featherlight 38 special and she loves it. Most women I know have a hard time with semi-auto pistols. Revolvers are easier, specially if its her first handgun

Old 03-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #16

Liked 245 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I have the SR9C as my carry gun and love it. My fiancee has shot it and likes it too. The guy at the gun shop told her she needs a revolver. Now she wants an SR9C like mine.

Some people say that women struggle to rack the slide but if they are taught how to do it properly it really is not difficult.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #17

Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster
I started my wife off with a S&W featherlight 38 special and she loves it. Most women I know have a hard time with semi-auto pistols. Revolvers are easier, specially if its her first handgun
Don't tell my wife that!! But I know what you mean. She's 5'4" and 130 but dang, she shoots as good as me!! Iol love going in gun stores and the clerks automatically go to 9mm or .38. Really cheeses off wifey.

Last edited by yayamamasami; 03-22-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #18

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

She probably finds the double stack width of your Glock too large for her hands. Take her to a shop and let her hold some guns and see what she likes for fit. If you can, of course, find a range that rents. If not, the first suggestion is best place to start, then you can address things like trigger action and caliber choice.

If she likes the Glock trigger try the Taurus pt709 slim or Ruger sr9 or sr9c. These are 9mm and come in 40cal versions as well if she should choose, though I think she'll find the lighter recoil of the 9mm more conducive to follow up about timing and accuracy.

If open to other trigger type the Kahr CM9 is great option as well.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #19

Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
She probably finds the double stack width of your Glock too large for her hands. Take her to a shop and let her hold some guns and see what she likes for fit. If you can, of course, find a range that rents. If not, the first suggestion is best place to start, then you can address things like trigger action and caliber choice.

If she likes the Glock trigger try the Taurus pt709 slim or Ruger sr9 or sr9c. These are 9mm and come in 40cal versions as well if she should choose, though I think she'll find the lighter recoil of the 9mm more conducive to follow up about timing and accuracy.

If open to other trigger type the Kahr CM9 is great option as well.
Exactly! She needs to put them in her hands, let the gun pick her.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #20

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamamasami

Don't tell my wife that!! But I know what you mean. She's 5'4" and 130 but dang, she shoots as good as me!! Iol love going in gun stores and the clerks automatically go to 9mm or .38. Really cheeses off wifey.
Tell me about it. I got my wife the revolver for one of our anniversaries and right away she wanted me to take her to the range. It was her first time shooting a gun and she scared the crap out of me. She went thru a 50 round box and all her shots were dead center. I told her she was a natural , she really liked that. I just find that for beginners a semi-auto has more things to keep track of versus a simple old fashion revolver. Best thing is what already others have suggested, visit a range that rents and find out what's most comfortable for her.