Handgun for my wife
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun for my wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Handgun for my wife

I am new to the whole handgun experience and am looking to get my wife a handgun, I have a Glock 22 and she says the grip is to big for her. Just wondering if there are any out there with a smaller grip for her?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Welcome to the Firearmstalk forum. The next time you log-in, stop by our "Introductions" area and say "Hi".

You say that you are new to the handgun experience, and we can tell.
The best suggestions are:
1. Get Training. Go to a nearby shooting range and talk with the range people about getting some.

2. Your wife is telling you that SHE wants to pick out her choice of firearm. Just like my wife doesn't wear the outfit I got her for St Valentine's day (but will wear those dern flannels), your wife will probably use the firearm she selects. Take her to a range that rents firearms. Take her to a store where she can pick up and check out firearms. Let her choose.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #3

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
Welcome to the Firearmstalk forum. The next time you log-in, stop by our "Introductions" area and say "Hi".

You say that you are new to the handgun experience, and we can tell.
The best suggestions are:
1. Get Training. Go to a nearby shooting range and talk with the range people about getting some.

2. Your wife is telling you that SHE wants to pick out her choice of firearm. Just like my wife doesn't wear the outfit I got her for St Valentine's day (but will wear those dern flannels), your wife will probably use the firearm she selects. Take her to a range that rents firearms. Take her to a store where she can pick up and check out firearms. Let her choose.
Agreed 1000000000%

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 508 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I would start her out with a .22 rimfire,, lots of choices there,, self loaders and revolvers. My wife never fired a weapon but once in her life before I met her, when I knew we were going to have a relationship, I wanted to make sure she could protect herself. I started her off with a little Jennings and after she felt comfortable started moving up in power. I created a monster,, she now shoots ATA Trap, has enough Browning shotguns to outfit a squad and deer hunts etc. The most important thing is to let her move at her pace. She may never shoot more than one gun, but if she likes it, don't push, a .22 is a lot better than nothing but she may end up being proficient with many,, let her choose and decide what's right for her,, besides if you push, you'll never hear the end of it and she won't want to learn,, good luck.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #5

Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

I shoot .45 ACP only. When I got married, guess what my wife started shooting? It scared her at first, big .45 for a small lady. She learned quickly and soon bought her own M1911A1 which she carries concealed. Except sometimes she can't carry the 1911 because its too big and she has nowhere to hide it (80% of the time, here in Texas). She will not carry in her purse (wise choice!). So she bough a Bodyguard .380. She didn't like the trigger pull. She bought a SigSauer P238 and loves it! Carries it in a Flashbang bra holster. Or a thigh holster (forget the name at the moment) when she wears dresses. I HAD no say in her weapons choices. The gun picks you.

The biggest thing, though, is training! Training, Training, Training!! Strong hand, weak hand, standing, kneeling, prone, running, walking, in the open, behind cover, from the ground to a standing position. Hundreds of things to know before I took her to a CWL class. And we did it together. Even though I have had my CWL for years, I went with her and asked if I could sit through and audit the class. She knew how to field strip, clean and reassemble all our weapons before the class. She was proficient in clearing stoppages, before the class. It helped that I'm an instructor but I still had her go to a Women and Guns class run by a woman I know. We drill scenarios. We practice and train home defense, unarmed combat, parking lot drills, mass shooting scenarios, End of Days scenarios, shotgun and rifle defense. Probably more than most. It's our thing. We enjoy it and I hope it's all for naught. It's serious business for the simple fact that when and if the SHTF, and she has to draw, she will probably take someone's life. Nothing more serious than that.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6618 Times on 3686 Posts
Likes Given: 6284

First off, have her take a course in handgun self defense.

Then take her to a range that rents different weapons and have her try several.

The old medium frame .38 special revolvers are still a viable option, extremely safe, simple to use under stress and effective.

Until she gets quite a bit of experience, I would avoid the .40 S&W, .45 and .357 SIG like the plague. I would also avoid the small frame revolvers like the Ruger 101 and thje S&W J frames.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #7

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

My husband bought me the Charter Arms .38 pink lady revolver on Valentines day, it is my very first handgun. Once she gets the hang of it, it won't be too hard for her to shoot, plus it's easy to clean and learn how to use, and very easy to conceal if that is what your looking for.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

The CZ 75 p07 duty is a very good gun that looks elegant. It has a very slim handle. I have small hands myself, but the gun was too slim for me. I think it would fit your wife's hand perfectly. It is used by the Czech SF police as a service pistol. The CZ 75s all have the slimmer design.

Still, she should handle and fire various weapon systems...oops military...I mean handguns. Everyone on this thread has made valid points, especially with training.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat89 View Post
My husband bought me the Charter Arms .38 pink lady revolver on Valentines day, it is my very first handgun. Once she gets the hang of it, it won't be too hard for her to shoot, plus it's easy to clean and learn how to use, and very easy to conceal if that is what your looking for.
I wish my wife would by me a gun for valentines day. Great gift! I have seen a pink Glock! The gun still looked ugly!:

Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #10

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister

I wish my wife would by me a gun for valentines day. Great gift! I have seen a pink Glock! The gun still looked ugly!:
Lol a gun for any occasion is better than flowers! What says I love you and want you to live forever better than a gun