Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Handgun for my wife (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/handgun-my-wife-87151/)

slimetime 03-22-2013 07:10 AM

Handgun for my wife
 
I am new to the whole handgun experience and am looking to get my wife a handgun, I have a Glock 22 and she says the grip is to big for her. Just wondering if there are any out there with a smaller grip for her?

danf_fl 03-22-2013 10:51 AM

Welcome to the Firearmstalk forum. The next time you log-in, stop by our "Introductions" area and say "Hi".

You say that you are new to the handgun experience, and we can tell.
The best suggestions are:
1. Get Training. Go to a nearby shooting range and talk with the range people about getting some.

2. Your wife is telling you that SHE wants to pick out her choice of firearm. Just like my wife doesn't wear the outfit I got her for St Valentine's day (but will wear those dern flannels), your wife will probably use the firearm she selects. Take her to a range that rents firearms. Take her to a store where she can pick up and check out firearms. Let her choose.

deadsp0t 03-22-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
Welcome to the Firearmstalk forum. The next time you log-in, stop by our "Introductions" area and say "Hi".

You say that you are new to the handgun experience, and we can tell.
The best suggestions are:
1. Get Training. Go to a nearby shooting range and talk with the range people about getting some.

2. Your wife is telling you that SHE wants to pick out her choice of firearm. Just like my wife doesn't wear the outfit I got her for St Valentine's day (but will wear those dern flannels), your wife will probably use the firearm she selects. Take her to a range that rents firearms. Take her to a store where she can pick up and check out firearms. Let her choose.

Agreed 1000000000%

yazul42 03-22-2013 11:01 AM

I would start her out with a .22 rimfire,, lots of choices there,, self loaders and revolvers. My wife never fired a weapon but once in her life before I met her, when I knew we were going to have a relationship, I wanted to make sure she could protect herself. I started her off with a little Jennings and after she felt comfortable started moving up in power. I created a monster,, she now shoots ATA Trap, has enough Browning shotguns to outfit a squad and deer hunts etc. The most important thing is to let her move at her pace. She may never shoot more than one gun, but if she likes it, don't push, a .22 is a lot better than nothing but she may end up being proficient with many,, let her choose and decide what's right for her,, besides if you push, you'll never hear the end of it and she won't want to learn,, good luck.

yayamamasami 03-22-2013 11:31 AM

I shoot .45 ACP only. When I got married, guess what my wife started shooting? It scared her at first, big .45 for a small lady. She learned quickly and soon bought her own M1911A1 which she carries concealed. Except sometimes she can't carry the 1911 because its too big and she has nowhere to hide it (80% of the time, here in Texas). She will not carry in her purse (wise choice!). So she bough a Bodyguard .380. She didn't like the trigger pull. She bought a SigSauer P238 and loves it! Carries it in a Flashbang bra holster. Or a thigh holster (forget the name at the moment) when she wears dresses. I HAD no say in her weapons choices. The gun picks you.

The biggest thing, though, is training! Training, Training, Training!! Strong hand, weak hand, standing, kneeling, prone, running, walking, in the open, behind cover, from the ground to a standing position. Hundreds of things to know before I took her to a CWL class. And we did it together. Even though I have had my CWL for years, I went with her and asked if I could sit through and audit the class. She knew how to field strip, clean and reassemble all our weapons before the class. She was proficient in clearing stoppages, before the class. It helped that I'm an instructor but I still had her go to a Women and Guns class run by a woman I know. We drill scenarios. We practice and train home defense, unarmed combat, parking lot drills, mass shooting scenarios, End of Days scenarios, shotgun and rifle defense. Probably more than most. It's our thing. We enjoy it and I hope it's all for naught. It's serious business for the simple fact that when and if the SHTF, and she has to draw, she will probably take someone's life. Nothing more serious than that.

locutus 03-22-2013 01:49 PM

First off, have her take a course in handgun self defense.

Then take her to a range that rents different weapons and have her try several.

The old medium frame .38 special revolvers are still a viable option, extremely safe, simple to use under stress and effective.

Until she gets quite a bit of experience, I would avoid the .40 S&W, .45 and .357 SIG like the plague. I would also avoid the small frame revolvers like the Ruger 101 and thje S&W J frames.

kitkat89 03-22-2013 01:54 PM

My husband bought me the Charter Arms .38 pink lady revolver on Valentines day, it is my very first handgun. Once she gets the hang of it, it won't be too hard for her to shoot, plus it's easy to clean and learn how to use, and very easy to conceal if that is what your looking for.

Jagermeister 03-22-2013 02:04 PM

The CZ 75 p07 duty is a very good gun that looks elegant. It has a very slim handle. I have small hands myself, but the gun was too slim for me. I think it would fit your wife's hand perfectly. It is used by the Czech SF police as a service pistol. The CZ 75s all have the slimmer design.

Still, she should handle and fire various weapon systems...oops military;)...I mean handguns. Everyone on this thread has made valid points, especially with training.

Jagermeister 03-22-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitkat89 (Post 1186135)
My husband bought me the Charter Arms .38 pink lady revolver on Valentines day, it is my very first handgun. Once she gets the hang of it, it won't be too hard for her to shoot, plus it's easy to clean and learn how to use, and very easy to conceal if that is what your looking for.

I wish my wife would by me a gun for valentines day. :( Great gift! I have seen a pink Glock! The gun still looked ugly!:p:

kitkat89 03-22-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister

I wish my wife would by me a gun for valentines day. :( Great gift! I have seen a pink Glock! The gun still looked ugly!:p:

Lol a gun for any occasion is better than flowers! What says I love you and want you to live forever better than a gun :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:24 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.