Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun for my wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #21
Jay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My standard response....

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper training, and fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there. Caliber doesn't count until after you can hit your target.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 11-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I suggest you go to a range that rents handguns and let her shoot a few.

My usual suggestion is a revolver for someone looking for a gun but does not shoot a lot. Revolvers are very simple, intuitive to operate, and generally only go bang when you want it to. You could go with something like a Ruger SP101 in 357 (when you want to shoot it) but keep 38 Specials or 38 Special +P for when your wife wants to shoot it.

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 11-12-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #23

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
I suggest you go to a range that rents handguns and let her shoot a few.

My usual suggestion is a revolver for someone looking for a gun but does not shoot a lot. Revolvers are very simple, intuitive to operate, and generally only go bang when you want it to. You could go with something like a Ruger SP101 in 357 (when you want to shoot it) but keep 38 Specials or 38 Special +P for when your wife wants to shoot it.
Thats pretty much a standard response & I COMPLETELY agree with that advice but how many members have a place like that within - say 1hrs drive

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #24

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Deleted....

Last edited by gollygee; 11-12-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #25

I completely agree with many of the other responses. The 40 is very snappy. Personally, I feel a 45 is less snappy/muzzle flippy. If she has shot a 40, and is o.k. with it, WOW!
My wife carries a Ruger sp101 in 357mag. Small enough to fit in her purse, and the only controls to worry with is the trigger.
Good Luck

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 11-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #26

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I see a lot of threads by folks asking for advice on guns. Invariably the majority of answers are something like "Try out guns yourself. What I like may not be what you'll like". Which is certainly good advice, but I think folks are just wanting a few models to consider for themselves, based on opinions from others.

But I don't see harm in recommending a particular model. It's only one persons opinion. Anyone seeking opinions needs understand that. Some guns have a better ergonomic design than others. And while everyone has different hands, they aren't that different.

I don't own a collection of firearms. I have handled several and shot a few. I usually mention the one gun I own because I am extremely happy with it. If someone thinking of a handgun purchase reads a post be me and rushes right out to buy my gun, without doing any research of his own,he/she is an idiot and should probably not own a gun. In, my experience that is probably an extremely rare occurrence. But at the same time, even if said idiot did go out and purchased my gun, it wouldn't be the worst thing to ever happen. I did a lot of homework and picked a model that I am very happy with and has performed flawlessly. I wouldn't recommend anything to anyone that wasn't based on first-hand experience. And if I do mention something that I don't have experience with I am careful to state that fact, and say that "I have read good things about..." whatever it is.

The point of all this is that I don't think it's a bad thing to recommend a particular gun. I think that the vast majority of folks seeking advice understand that one size does not fit all and just want some things to add to their list of "maybes".

Old 11-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Sniper,

Pick your handgun caliber, and there will be stories about it failing to stop someone. I'd go with whatever caliber she likes.

The .357 you mentioned is a great round because she can practice most of the time with .38 special — it's cheaper and will make for a better range session.

If this is supposed to be a range gun, I'd go with the largest gun she's comfortable with. A bigger gun shoots softer and is easier to get hits with.

If it's a carry gun and you do get a .40, I'd go with the biggest she could stand to carry. Glock and Springfield XD both have compact and subcompact .40 models. If you go a little smaller, the Walther PPS that was mentioned earlier is a single stack (thinner).

My wife (who is no shrinking violet, BTW) has a Glock 27. I tried to talk her into the 26 (9mm) but I think she looked at it as the "girlie gun" and wanted no part of it. She's deadly accurate with that .40, but follow-up shots are slow, and she had to do a bit of work to keep from limp-wristing it.

I hope you both enjoy shopping for it, and I hope you are both happy with the outcome.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #28

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I guess we all have prejudices about some things to one degree or another.

I wonder if anyone ever thought "heh, that's a girly gun" while having a wild-eyed crack head point a 9mm at them. LOL

Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #29

My wife also wanted a gun and after shooting all mine, from a .45 1911 to a Browning Hi-Power 9MM to a .380 Bersa; she settled on a Colt Detective Special .38. She likes it, and she can handle the recoil just fine. She likes the fact that a revolver doesn't need a mechanical safety device and she doesn't have to worry about the force needed to manipulate the slide; further, and like me, she hates "plastic" guns with no hammers. My thought was to always keep the automatics for the more seasoned.