Handgun for my wife
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun for my wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Handgun for my wife

I am currently in the market for a small handgun for my wife. Preferably a .40. I have been researching it but just want to know somebody's opinion what works best and not so much. Thanks Semper Fi

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Does your wife have arms like an Olympic wrestler? LOL ..I kid

But seriously..I think there are some advantages of the 9mm over the .40 that you may want to consider. It's only marginally less powerful than the .40, it has more manageable recoil, offers a higher mag capacity and it's cheaper.

I have a M&P 9. In the 2 years I've owned and shot it I have never considered looking at anything else. If I did it would be only to add a M&P 9 Compact for CC.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I recommend she goes to some local gunshops to look at their inventory, see what feels good to her, and fits the bill. If ya'll have a local range or two that have rental programs then she should go try some of the firearms that are available.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper75 View Post
I am currently in the market for a small handgun for my wife. Preferably a .40. I have been researching it but just want to know somebody's opinion what works best and not so much. Thanks Semper Fi
Small gun, or small grip?

Most people will agree that a subcompact 40sw can be a less than manageable package. Compacts (like a G23 for example) are about as small as I'd choose in that caliber.

Nobody's opinion will matter more than that of your wife. But if there's a strong desire for a .40, I'd suggest looking at a Sig P239. Handles almost like a full framed gun but with a slim single-stack grip. They can be a little spendy, spanning the range of $650-950.

Don't write off 9mm as a viable option.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2877 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

You may give your wife an opinion on shoes, but which shoes does she buy?
Like one thinks that the wife will enjoy 6' stilletos, but she prefers flats.

Take her to the gun shop and let her look. Stay away from the chain sports stores though. The people behind those counters probable know less about firearms than the wife.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #6

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Why a 40?
Anyway my wife carries a SR9C & loves it

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1981 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 591

The 40SW has very snappy recoil. I would rather shoot a 45 than the 40 in a light pistol. I prefer the G36 to the G23. I bought my wife a Ruger SR9c because the grip was comfortable for her and the trigger was fairly light. Bought one for myself too. The recoil from a 9mm is much more manageable and quicker for a 2nd shot. Let her pick her own pistol but give her some guidance. Dont let her pick a POS because it costs less. Long or DA triggers can be a handicap for some shooters. Dont buy her one of the super light 9mm's unless she tries it. The recoil could be more than she likes. Same with the mouse guns in 380. Find a few guns she thinks she might like and see if you can rent them or if friends have them. If at all possible try before you buy.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sniper... You didn't mention how much experience your wife has with guns. Unless she's very experienced, I wouldn't go with anything more powerful than 9mm tops.

You said "small"... As usual, I suggest looking at the single-stack poly 9's if she's going to carry... especially Kahr CW9, Ruger LC9, or (@$100 more) Walther PPS. These are all reliable, small, and light... easy to carry... but big enough for a solid 3-finger grip.

If for home defense and range, an all-metal auto might be preferable. Show her... Talk it over... Try some different ones at a range... Get her involved in the whole process...

I'd start out with a rather mild load in the ammo too.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Last edited by Alchemist; 11-11-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

G27 hands down for me lasts a lifetime, very reliable, plus very easy maintenance.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #10

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpotion23 View Post
G27 hands down for me lasts a lifetime, very reliable, plus very easy maintenance.
But thats a GLOCK

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET