Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun manufacturers to avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 01:22 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 309 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I'd suggest a Ruger for a first revolver. Their quality is very good, mine shoot well,they are reasonably priced for the most part, and they have a very good reputation for customer service. For a centerfire semi-auto,, a 1911,, you have a wide range of manufacturers to choose from, their are threads here discussing that also. Have fun shopping.

Jeff

Old 09-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #12

I love my Taurus revolvers (I have 3). My 6604 is my daily carry piece.

Hi-points are picky eaters, and they aren't really recommended to new handgunners. Or even many experienced ones. I have one and I like it, but you have to do some polishing to make them reliable feeders. Really straight shooting guns though.

If you have the cash, S&W makes the best revolvers in the world right now. There is much love for the 1911 frames on this forum, and lot's of good-quality options.

Rossi is tough. They used to be really crappy, but now that Taurus owns them, I expect their quality to improve dramatically.

Raven arms are generally garbage.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:35 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Taurus used to be crappy, but their recent revolvers are OK, and their PT1911's are really nice. Glock is good, not a single jam or issue from it yet after 500 rounds of FMJ and HP's (some cheap Russian steel rounds too). If you want a Revolver, stick with S&W, Colt, and Ruger. Pistol, Springfield, Glock, or a good 1911 (I'm still looking for one...).

Oh, and stay clear away from Hi-Point, no matter who tries to sell you on one...

Old 09-11-2009, 03:16 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Stay away from any new Kimber models. They tend to rust in record time.

P.S. If you want to know the facts about Hi-Points, send me a PM.

P.S.S. I agree with canebrake...stay away from Glock. They work, but you overpay.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:59 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Would that be the ALL new kimbers? Or just yours ans spitinfire's?

Maybe it's the blueing they put on it. Get a stainless kimber!!

Old 09-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 198

A couple of older weapons that are still floating around to stay away from, RG double action revolvers (made in Germany but are cheaply made) and Jennings pistols, I've seen two at a local gun shop that the front of the slides were broken off. What do you think that would be like in fire fight? You'd be dead.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Gojubrian, I say ALL new Kimbers. I never had issues with the slide rusting, it was just the barrel rusting which was a stainless steel brushed finish.

If you gotta get a Kimber, get an older one. Better yet, get a Colt or Springfield.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
I wouldn't completely rule out Taurus revolvers. While they aren't up to S&W or Ruger standards, they are quite good for the price. Their customer service does seem to be a bit spotty, though.
I bought two Taurus revolvers many years ago. One had to go back to the factory for repairs before I ever shot the gun. It was out 5 weeks and it cost me 50 to ship and insure the gun.
The second gun dropped a frame screw while I was shooting it at the range. The screw would not go back in so I had to send it back. Another five weeks and another 50 to ship and insure. I was without either Taurus for two weeks. I was out 100 for the shipping and I lost money when I took them back to the FFL to get rid of them.
I will never buy another Taurus for all the trouble I had with those two guns and all the money I lost in the few months I had them.

Buy a HiPoint instead of a Taurus. They cost less and I have never had to send either of my HP guns in for repairs. They go boom every time I pull the trigger and they put the bullet where I point the gun.

If I were looking for a good low dollar pistol I would first look at Bersa.
The Bersa Thunder HiCapacity 9mm

The pistol in this picture was not wiped down all the way.
I just bought mine for 340.00ish and it is a fine pistol.
If you want something more mainstream I would suggest Springfields XD or XDm lines, and for a smaller package, the Walther P99 is great. It is small, lightweight and accurate.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #19

Why was my last post held?
I made a reply and it said the post was being held for review by a Mod.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #20

Hay Sarg What are some other forums you go to?
I have seen your posts some where else. You always have good info for people. Keep up the good and unbiased work.