Which handgun has the lowest recoil? Home defense - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Which handgun has the lowest recoil? Home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
Hi America

This is a very common question, and like most questions it has more than just one answer. I need a gun for Home defense. Can you recommend a handgun or a rifle?

A shotgun has a way to big recoil for me......

Glock17?
Glock19?
Ar15?

Thank you guys for answering
pellet guns are low recoil

Old 01-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 592

A light gun in any major caliber will recoil more than a heavier one. A duty size 9mm will not have heavy recoil and will be easier to control. Important! Make sure the pistol fits you. Fit is very personal and you will have to try some guns on to see what fits you. Glocks do not fit me. I am not badmouthing Glocks, they just dont fit me. Grip angle and fit make a big difference in a defensive pistol. You should be able to look at an object or target, close your eyes, raise the pistol with your eyes closed and when you open your eyes the pistol should be on target. I am not talking about a gnats posterior.
A 20 gauge semi auto will have a good deal less recoil than a 12 gauge. The 20 gauge 20 pellet #3 buck load is very effective for HD. Stay away from magnum loads.
Carbines are easier to shoot and control than a pistol and a lot of "experts" are now recommending them. The 5.56x45 55 grain load actually has less wall penetration than a 9mm from a pistol at close range as it tends to tumble reducing the penetration. Pistol caliber carbines are also an option. The longer barrel will give you some additional power. Again fit is important on long guns too. A poorly fitting stock will increase the felt recoil. My wife needs a stock 1.25" shorter than I do. If you are small look at youth models.
Try on as many guns as you can. Rent or borrow a few if possible. You will find your niche if you dont jump to quickly.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #13

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Felt recoil in a handgun depends on several factors, probably the primary factor being the foot-lbs of energy at the muzzle vs. the weight of the gun. To simplify, a combination of a heavy gun with a small caliber bullet has less recoil than a lightweight gun firing a heavier caliber. For an effective self defense handgun there you don't want to go with too small of a caliber, unless there are health or disability reasons that make a small caliber necessary.

My recommendation would be a moderate or heavy frame .357 revolver, with a 4" barrel, shooting hollow point .38's for minimum recoil. The variety of loads in .38 special (regular and plus p loads) and .357 will allow you to find your comfort level in ammo.

Stay away from "airweight" revolvers or snubbies -- at least the equivalent of a Smith K frame, and heavier if possible.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2039 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Hi America

This is a very common question, and like most questions it has more than just one answer. I need a gun for Home defense. Can you recommend a handgun or a rifle?

Glock17?
Glock19?
Ar15?

curious why you believe you need to choose from the 3 you listed?

Glocks are nice if you are into plastic. If you want reduced recoil, get a metal frame pistol. There are many out there. For home defense you don't need to consider lightweight for your pistol like you might for a carry gun

I have an AR15 but it would not be my first choice for home defense. At the ranges we are talking about (unless you live in a mansion), handgun calibers are fine and the platform is a lot more maneuverable than any type of rifle

my 2 cents worth

Old 01-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2810 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 1634

There are many viable options.

My experience with family is that my wife and my older teen nieces truly enjoy shooting .38 special rounds out of my 4" barrel S&W .357 mag. revolver. .357 mag. rounds, not so much, and out of my S&W snubby .357, less than out of the full-size revolver.

.38 Special ammunition is poo-pooed by many but was the main carry ammo for law enforcement for many years. Today's modern self-defense ammo makes the 4" full-size revolver a formidable weapon.

Take this info. as PART of your input from us, and good luck.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #16

Liked 388 Times on 224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfieldaddict View Post
Didn't you hear biden ar15s are harder to control than shotguns get a double barrel and shoot threw your door everytime you hear a strange noise
Lol oh yeah I almost forgot *rolls eyes*. To the op, I'm going to agree with the member who said a .357 loaded with some .38 special if your neighbors are close. My wife's first handgun she shot was my gp100 loaded with .38 special. She surprised me how well she shot. She's 5'4 and 110 lbs. I keep some +p Jhp in my revolver on a bedside holster. If a legit gunfight were ever to ensue, and the .38s weren't enough to "get their attention", there's a speed loader with hornady critical defense .357 magnum ready to go. I feel like any full size gun with 9mm would be easy on you too.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Hi America

Glock17?
Glock19?
Ar15?

what is you level of experiance with guns in general?

what size shotgun has too much recoil for you? what type of shells were you shooting?

without knowing more details, it would be very difficult to make any informed suggestions for you.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1212 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

Ever shot a .32 ?...................

When all else fails.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #19

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1878

i once shot a fairly heavy 4" barrel 38 special that had NO RECOIL WHATSOEVER. however, in my 2" snub, the 38's have some decent snap....comparable to a small frame 9mm imo.

i think some have already recommended it, but i would go with a 4-6" all steel 357 and shoot 38's through it. the one i shot honestly had less recoil than my 22/45....i mean it just made noise with no recoil at all.

start with that or a 22 imo. get used to shooting and then step up to something with moderate recoil later. most new shooters start out a bit recoil shy and before you know it, they are seeking more powerful guns.

if you are asking specifically for HOME DEFENSE.....well, i think you should should use whatever you feel most comfortable and effective with. remember, many shooters choose a 20G over a 12G for reduced recoil in a shotgun. and a 20G is a VERY capable home defense choice imo.

Quote:
Hi America

Glock17?
Glock19?
Ar15?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #20

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
what is you level of experiance with guns in general?

what size shotgun has too much recoil for you? what type of shells were you shooting?

without knowing more details, it would be very difficult to make any informed suggestions for you.
right again. can the OP tell us a bit more about their experience and needs?