Which handgun has the lowest recoil? Home defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Which handgun has the lowest recoil? Home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which handgun has the lowest recoil? Home defense

Hi America

This is a very common question, and like most questions it has more than just one answer. I need a gun for Home defense. Can you recommend a handgun or a rifle?

A shotgun has a way to big recoil for me......

Glock17?
Glock19?
Ar15?

Thank you guys for answering

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 763 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Welcome to the forum! Stop by the introductions thread and tell us about yourself. As to your question more info is needed for consideration on what would best suit you for a HD weapon. You have 2 pistols and one rifle listed the AR is a great HD weapon, but how close are your neighbors houses to yours? Will that round go thru your walls and hit someone over there. Both Glocks are great HD weapons with negligible recoil I would go to a gun store and see which fits your hand best if thats the route you choose.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 413 Times on 274 Posts

357 magnum loaded with 38 specials?? Kinda on the fringe for self defense, but not much kick is a nice size revolver. Or if you can shell out some good money a Gov't size 1911 chambered for 9mm might be good.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Welcome to the forum.

Have you shot a .410 shotgun?

I've seen a lot of .20 gauge side-by-side shotguns used as home defense.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 01-16-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Dern Autocorrect
jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Have you shat a .410 shotgun?

I've seen a lot of .20 gauge side-by-side shotguns used as home defense.
I shat 12 gauge. Wife sometimes complains I blow up the toilet.

"Feuer Frei!"

People Like This 
Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #6

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

My HD gun is a Glock 17 with 2 magazines loaded with Hornady Critical Defense.I also have a 995 9mm carbine ready to go on stand by if needed.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #7

Liked 634 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1848

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagermeister View Post
i shat 12 gauge. Wife sometimes complains i blow up the toilet.

lmao!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #8

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Recoil is mostly subjective, what may rattle the teeth of one, may be butter smooth for another...

I suggest you find a rental range and try as many different calibers, in several different platforms, then tell us what your results were...

Not pickin' at ya but the shotgun comment tells me you have a limited firearms background. Your knowledge will grow with more trigger time. Only YOU know what you will like best, all we can do is make suggestions based on our own experiences and preferences which will undoubtedly differ from your own...Case in point- I'm a .45 guy, that's what I shoot best. Not to say that any other caliber is wrong, just wrong for me. It took a good bit of time (and a couple of bad purchase decisions) for me to reach that conclusion...

Best wishes...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 01-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1861 Times on 1276 Posts
Likes Given: 685

One thing that people who don't have a lot of trigger time overlook is adrenaline. A 12 ga shotgun loaded with 3" slugs has over 70 ft lb of recoil. At target practice the recoil of a slug will rattle almost anyones dental work. Yet I have never heard anyone complain about recoil when they shot a deer. The excitement of shooting a deer is very mild compared to a fight for your life.

You can buy low recoil ammo for a shotgun that is designed for shooting skeet. The recoil of a 12 ga is very mild with low recoil ammo. A member of our shooting club is a paraplegic. He has no problem shooting 100 rounds with a 20 ga loaded with low recoil ammo. He would shoot more if our sporting clay course was more wheelchair friendly.

Shooting skeet is a good way to learn to handle a shotgun and how to handle yourself on a gun range. Shotgun shooters are a lot more laid back than pistol shooters. Pistol shooters seem to think if they embarrass a newcomer they won't make that mistake again. The only effect embarrassment has on me is I will not return to that facility. Shotgun shooters are much more laid back. Raising your voice at a newcomer will lower the number of free rounds you get to shoot.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #10

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Didn't you hear biden ar15s are harder to control than shotguns get a double barrel and shoot threw your door everytime you hear a strange noise