handgun gift for under age 21? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

handgun gift for under age 21?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3469 Times on 1988 Posts
Likes Given: 1521

Look for a site that has state statutes. Most state sites will direct to them. A little reading and you will have your answer. Also BATF has federal laws listed.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #12

Liked 230 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 53

A straw puchase is not having your mother buy it from an FFL to give it to you as long as you are not restricted from firearms.If you were a felon and she did that-yes,straw purchase,if you were only 17 and lived in your own apartment away from her and she did that-yes,straw purchase,or if your state requires it to be registered to one person and she registered it to herself and gave it to you-then yes,straw purchase,or if you hand her the cash beforehand to go into the store,then that can also be considered a straw purchase.If she buys the gun with her own money and then you buy it from her,that is perfectly legal.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 05-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Different states, and even different cities/counties, handle these issues differently. To the OP: Go down you your local PD and ask them what's legal.

I'm over 18, so legal to own a handgun, but under 21, so not old enough to purchase from an FFL. My dad has purchased both my guns and transferred them to me as gifts, which is a provision of Michigan law. I paid him back for part of the Ruger and most of the M&P, but they were still my birthday and Christmas gifts, respectively.
Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 05-14-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #14

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The FTF flunked itís Bar exam.

Only a fool would seek legal advice from a public forum and has a fool for his counselor.
cane

With that fully understood, here is some research:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf

Section 571-060 Unlawful transfer of weapons, penalty.

Missouri Revised Statutes

Chapter 571
Weapons Offenses
Section 571.060

August 28, 2009

Unlawful transfer of weapons, penalty.
571.060. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful transfer of weapons if he:

(1) Knowingly sells, leases, loans, gives away or delivers a firearm or ammunition for a firearm to any person who, under the provisions of section 571.070, is not lawfully entitled to possess such;

(2) Knowingly sells, leases, loans, gives away or delivers a blackjack to a person less than eighteen years old without the consent of the child's custodial parent or guardian, or recklessly, as defined in section 562.016, RSMo, sells, leases, loans, gives away or delivers any firearm to a person less than eighteen years old without the consent of the child's custodial parent or guardian; provided, that this does not prohibit the delivery of such weapons to any peace officer or member of the armed forces or national guard while performing his official duty; or

(3) Recklessly, as defined in section 562.016, RSMo, sells, leases, loans, gives away or delivers a firearm or ammunition for a firearm to a person who is intoxicated.

2. Unlawful transfer of weapons under subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section is a class D felony; unlawful transfer of weapons under subdivisions (2) and (3) of subsection 1 of this section is a class A misdemeanor.

(L. 1981 H.B. 296)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-15-2010, 03:23 AM   #15
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bottom line do your homework. The choice you make today may impact your ability to own/buy firearms in the future. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:46 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Just play it safe. Waiting a couple more years will certainly be worth an entire lifetime of "legal" firearms related pleasure and enjoyment.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

when you do turn 21 it will be worth it!!