handgun gift for under age 21?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > handgun gift for under age 21?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default handgun gift for under age 21?

I've been doing a ton of research and can't seem to find a Missouri specific answer to my question.

Because im only 19 (soon to be 20), i know it is illegal for me to buy a handgun in Missouri. But for my birthday I wanted my mother to buy me a handgun and "hold onto it" until im 21. Is this, in general, illegal at all? Or is it at least manageable?

If i did get the handgun, would it be illegal for me to transport and take it to the range (without my mother) and shoot it? what about to a private property?

Anybody who can help me with this I thank greatly. The last thing I want to do is get her in trouble with the law because of a gun that isn't even hers!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I am not a lawyer. It is my understanding that federal regulations do allow you to own a firearm once you have reached age 18, but you cannot buy one from an FFL, only a private party. It is my understanding that you can receive one as a gift or be loaned one for specific purposes (target shooting).

I'm not sure about MO laws that go beyond that. I would consider asking a reputable gun store in your area and an experienced police officer that your family knows, then compare their answers.

Good luck!

edit* Maybe somebody on the forum connected to this org could tell you more precisely: http://www.missouricarry.com/

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 05-13-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

21 years of age for a handgun here. Under 21 needs adult supervision.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I know in GA you can own one at 18 but cannot buy one from an FFL unless you're 21. You can buy from a private party but many sellers aren't comfortable selling to someone so young - I know I'm not. Each state is different and I do not know MO law. It's a slippery slope when one person buys a gun for the sole purpose of giving it to someone that cannot buy one themselves. Yes, it's your Mom but a straw purchase is a straw purchase. Talking about it on a open forum shows intent...

Last edited by NGIB; 05-13-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:22 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

In Ky. you can gift one to some 18+ (and under 21). I would be a little uneasy getting internet advice on this though. It would be best to contact someone that it's their job to know the laws in your state.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:49 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I gave my daughter a .357 at age 10. At 12 I asked the Troopers about letting her carry it while she fished or picked berries getting separated from her mother and I. They said no problem, although it sounded like they didn't want her carrying it around more crowded areas, (combat fishing holes, campgrounds, etc.)

Old 05-14-2010, 02:26 AM   #7

who should I call or contact in the St. Louis area to get a definite answer?

Also, my only only motives are to discover the proper set of laws, and to follow them. I have no intention of breaking them in any way. Which is why I asked here

Old 05-14-2010, 02:34 AM   #8

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

This is going to be a very state specific question that you need to be very careful about.Like here in MI,no one exept CCW holders can even shoot another person's handgun unless the owner is present and you are at a recognized shooting range,reguardless of age,so nobody here can lend or borrow a handgun without having a CCW,but long guns you can lend and borrow.Some states have no regulation or registration of handguns or long guns.If where you live does not require handguns to be registered,then you can probably do what you are talking about as long as you aren't a felon,and on a federal level,I don't see any laws being broken as long as it's not a straw purchase,but again,your state may have added laws so you need to find out your state laws.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 05-14-2010, 03:52 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A quick internet search will lead you to the answer you need. Don't ask for legal advice on any forum as you don't know the qualifactions of the person responding. Every state differs concerning your question and every state has the laws concerning this available on line. What you described would be considered a straw purchase where I live. Your mother would be purchasing the firearm with the intent of giving/selling it to another and that is against the law where I live.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #10

ok, I finally looked up what exactly a straw purchase was, and the phrasing of my question suggests that is my intention. I did NOT mean to phrase it in such a way that I was intending to circumvent the law. I wanted to strictly know the legality of the matter. As far as my research can tell, this would not be an illegal event in MO. It is legal for a person of age 18+ to own a handgun in MO if it is purchased from a private party or handed down/gifted by a family member (which is the case here). The only time it would be illegal is if the <21 year old had purchased the handgun himself/herself from an FFL dealer. It would be considered a straw purchase if the receiver of the gun was a felon or any of the other restrictions that keep them from possessing a firearm in general.

This forum really layed it out for what I needed to know.
Conceal Carry? - Missouri - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

This is the conclusion I have come to from many hours of research. I am not a law official, so I can not be held to these words. But I have provided evidence that shows that I am correct.

Thank you everybody for your input! I hope this was helpful