Handgun Forethought - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun Forethought

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 303 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 44

A few comments:

I have a KelTec Sub2000, and believe it's the best bang for your buck option as far as pistol caliber carbines go. They're quite reliable and can be had for pretty close to $300. The only issues I've ever had was when using the Korean mags (occasional ejection probs). I don't have a Glock to match it, BTW.

The Beretta CX4 Storm is also a fine gun, but costs as much as an entry level AR-15. When it comes to my own priorities, that doesn't add up.

9mm coming out of a 16in barrel is pretty damn potent...somewhere near that of a 357sig pistol. You won't be lacking for defensive ability. But if you prefer the 40, go for it. I'm not a 40sw fan myself.

Optics shouldn't be a major factor here IMO, unless you have severely hindered eyesight. A pistol carbine is essentially a 100yd gun, and generally at its best with open sights. Very limited use for magnification, although I could see wanting a basic red dot.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2726 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 780

I find the 45 is easier to shoot than the 40. I have a Glock 36 (45) and would rather shoot it than a Glock 23 (40). There are some 45 ACP carbines available. I believe Hipoint has on and H&K. Guess which costs more.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 02-13-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #23

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I have a .40 myself which is what I keep next to my bed, but I wouldn't be concerned about a 9 bouncing off stuff.
It's so funny; I read so much conflicting information. I don't think that is bad, but it makes me keep reconsidering.

The funny thing is, in theory, I want a .40 based on what I've heard (I still have to shoot one), but my next job is going to have me on the road a lot, so I think I'll get a 9mm so that my wife will have something she can shoot.

I really appreciate all your help. It hasn't really been for naught. I will come back to this when I can be selfish.

Sweeper22, JTJ, thanks. I obviously just need to go to the range now for myself, but again, I better think of my wife first out of necessity.

Thanks all.

Last edited by Tuco; 02-13-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #24

I like the .40 just fine, but I recommend you rent a few calibers at the range and determine which you like the best. Generally, there is a little more recoil than with a 9mm, but that can be mitigated with the right ammo. Federal puts out a low recoil hydrashock hp that feels just like 9mm to me. You can pack a .500 Mag, but if you can't hit anything with it you might as well be shooting spit wads. In the end, it comes down to what you and your wife are comfortable with, so if she's going to be running this weapon too I'd recommend you both go to the range and try out a few before you decide. I'd never buy a gun for somebody without letting them try it on first...just like a pair of shoes. You may be surprised which one she picks.

I believe the Sub2000 is also available configured to accept Beretta 92 or Sig 226. I agree with the other poster that said that unless you want a red dot, there is no need for optics on a gun like this. The iron...er...plastic sights are perfectly adequate for home defense.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #25

Liked 1317 Times on 779 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
It's so funny; I read so much conflicting information. I don't think that is bad, but it makes me keep reconsidering.

The funny thing is, in theory, I want a .40 based on what I've heard (I still have to shoot one), but my next job is going to have me on the road a lot, so I think I'll get a 9mm so that my wife will have something she can shoot.

I really appreciate all your help. It hasn't really been for naught. I will come back to this when I can be selfish.

Sweeper22, JTJ, thanks. I obviously just need to go to the range now for myself, but again, I better think of my wife first out of necessity.

Thanks all.
There are Objective differences between 9mm 40 and 45. Such as expense, assuming your not reloading, 9mm is cheapest and 45 the most expensive of those 3 rounds. Also there is the energy at impact, 45 is going to for the most part win that and 9mm lose. Then there are Subjective differences which are things like how much it kicks and how it feels and how quickly you can get back on target. You should go to a range and rent a gun(preferably the model your considering) in the calibers your considering and compare for yourself.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #26

@SilenceDogood

I will try different calibers and guns. I'll see if I can drag my wife. She wants nothing to do with guns, but she sets up traps at night to alert her in case of home invasion. She locks the bedroom door at night...and I don't think she's crazy...except not wanting anything to do with a gun. She does need to fire the weapon--agreed.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
You should go to a range and rent a gun(preferably the model your considering) in the calibers your considering and compare for yourself.
Yea. It's funny. I couldn't help but want to do some research, but I think every first time gun buyer would do well to first go to a range and try different caliber weapons, and then find one that is comfortable--in his or her budget. After that, research would be much more efficient.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I find the 45 is easier to shoot than the 40. I have a Glock 36 (45) and would rather shoot it than a Glock 23 (40). There are some 45 ACP carbines available. I believe Hipoint has on and H&K. Guess which costs more.
LOL! Sorry I didn't catch that last line here before. Could you tell me why people find higher caliber guns easier to shoot than lower caliber guns? You prefer .45 to a 40. I think I read someone else prefers a .40 to a 9 due to the kick. Are heavier caliber guns heavier, hence less recoil? That wouldn't seem true for a polimer vs. nickel or steel or whatever. I always thought that a higher caliber was associated with kick.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #29

The kel tech 2000 is a pretty awesome gun, it folds in half (like he said) and with a EO tech sight it is a dead accurate gun, I've met a guy at a range who had two and sold me one.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #30

Liked 2444 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubnucks View Post
The kel tech 2000 is a pretty awesome gun, it folds in half (like he said) and with a EO tech sight it is a dead accurate gun, I've met a guy at a range who had two and sold me one.
Wow. Dragged up a thread from 2011. Don't know if the OP is still looking.

Closed Thread