Handgun Forethought
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun Forethought

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Handgun Forethought

Hi,

Can someone help me think of a .40 caliber handgun I can pair with a carbine to share ammo? I am interested in a gun with a safety, and I want it to fire "every time" though I don't want a revolver. The higher capacity mag the better, and no issues with sharing mags.

This may be for another post, but if I get an AK-47, is there a hand gun that can take the same ammo? I can't imagine, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Yes, there are handguns that fire the 7.62x39 cartridge. With the exception of some of the single shot target guns (like the Thompson Center) they mostly look like a sawn off AK47. About as concealable as a goat in a phone booth.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #3

Liked 1212 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Beretta CX4 Storm is a carbine and the PX4 is a pistol. Both are .40 and share the same magazine. But you could save money even with buying extra mags by getting a Hi-Point carbine in .40.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #4

Glock 22 and Kel-Tech Sub2000. The Sub2000 is actually pretty cool. It folds in half and you could theoretically put it in a medium size backpack. I've handled one on the range, but do not own one so cannot speek to the reliability. The Glock, however, will run every time you gas it up. You'd even be able to share magazines between the two.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Ruger made the PC40 carbine. It stands for Police Carbine, although I don't know if any LE agencies actually ever used them. They're pretty scarce, but they're excellent quality.

However, they only use Ruger mags.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #6

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Beretta CX4 Storm is a carbine ..
I met a NY State Trooper that had one of these at a range. It was a really nice little rifle and shot very well. Not too bad looking either.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Beretta CX4 Storm is a carbine and the PX4 is a pistol. Both are .40 and share the same magazine. But you could save money even with buying extra mags by getting a Hi-Point carbine in .40.
Thanks for your reply. I pulled up all the suggestions and really like yours. The Glock doesn't have the kind of safety I like. The Kel Tech doesn't accept optics. I think I'll see about the PX4 and Ruger per CA357. Thanks to both of you.

On that note, I found a Hi-Point page showing all the options. I wonder, what is the difference between a laser and a red dot? What is the benefit of each?

Thanks!

Last edited by Tuco; 02-12-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post

On that note, I found a Hi-Point page showing all the options. I wonder, what is the difference between a laser and a red dot? What is the benefit of each?

Thanks!
Laser projects a beam of light onto to the target.

Red dots are a scope that you look through. Instead of seeing crosshairs, you see a red dot on your point of aim. Red dots typically have very long or unlimited eye relief so you don't have to look directly through it. They are good aiming systems for shorter ranges.

Taurus is supposed to be introducing a line of carbines later this year.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 02-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Laser projects a beam of light onto to the target.

Red dots are a scope that you look through. Instead of seeing crosshairs, you see a red dot on your point of aim. Red dots typically have very long or unlimited eye relief so you don't have to look directly through it. They are good aiming systems for shorter ranges.
It seems a laser would not be very useful at long range, and a scope would be for longer range...no? I mean, do you see why it would seem that way to me? (Sorry, I am a noobie. I don't own a gun yet, but that is about to change.)

Old 02-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
It seems a laser would not be very useful at long range, and a scope would be for longer range...no? I mean, do you see why it would seem that way to me? (Sorry, I am a noobie. I don't own a gun yet, but that is about to change.)
Red dots are typically no or low magnification, therefore most red dots are really not designed for long range. I'm no expert on scopes, but I do know that crosshairs can provide more useful information at longer ranges than a simple red dot can.

And correct on the lasers. They are not typical for long range... unless I suppose used in conjunction with a telescopic lens.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Closed Thread