Handgun Barrel Rifling - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun Barrel Rifling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 04:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2101 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Generally Polygon rifling is hammer forged into the barrel. Conventional rifling is cut from the barrel surface. Polygon rifling can allow higher velocity because of the lower friction. Polygon rifling is less disruptive to bullet jackets. It is also MUCH harder to compare bullets because of the minimal markings left on the bullet.

Is the thread officially killed yet.
How much increase?

Old 02-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
In conventionally rifled barrels the grooves are cut into the barrel. The drawback to polygonal barrels is that you can't (or shouldn't) shoot non-jacketed rounds...
I know that Glock has recommended against unjacketed bullets in their pistols, but HK doesn't warn against this, other than a comment (when asked) that lead MAY buildup quicker in Polygonal than standard rifling. I've shot a ton of cast lead through my HKs and never noticed any more buildup than any other rifled pistols I have--in fact, I would say that my polygonal barrels actually show less buildup and clean up easier than the rifled equivilants do. Does anyone have any actual experience with problems in their polygonal barrels with lead? I do clean my pistol barrels after every range visit--normally 200-500 rounds...
Thx

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 02-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
I know that Glock has recommended against unjacketed bullets in their pistols, but HK doesn't warn against this, other than a comment (when asked) that lead MAY buildup quicker in Polygonal than standard rifling. I've shot a ton of cast lead through my HKs and never noticed any more buildup than any other rifled pistols I have--in fact, I would say that my polygonal barrels actually show less buildup and clean up easier than the rifled equivilants do. Does anyone have any actual experience with problems in their polygonal barrels with lead? I do clean my pistol barrels after every range visit--normally 200-500 rounds...
Thx
For many years I shot only hard cast lead bullets from my Glocks because they were cheap to load. I never had any problems. Lead builds up in barrels and should be cleaned out, but a few hundred rounds should not be a problem.

My method of cleaning out the lead buildup was always to fire 4 or 5 rds of jacketed bullets every couple hundred rds of lead.

I also shot plenty of lead through my Steyr GB. Steyr said not to do this because of the gas operation, but other than a really messy gun it all worked out fine.

I generally like to avoid doing things that fall under the "hypothetical problem" category, but lead bullets have never caused me any grief.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2943 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Dang, I failed at killing the thread so I will try again.
Glock specifically warns against using unjacketed bullets in their barrels. I cannot speak with authority about HK or the early SIG pistols. Theoretically the polygon rifling should gather less lead. For some reason glock "appears" to build up more lead.
The latest information I have heard is that the Glock problem may be related to the leade/free bore (the unrifled area immediately forward of the chamber).
Whatever the problem is (IF there is a problem) I would NEVER recommend shooting unjacketed ammo through a Glock unless the barrel was swapped out with a conventionally rifled aftermarket barrel.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
It is also MUCH harder to compare bullets because of the minimal markings left on the bullet.
Hmmmmm, i hadn't heard of this advantage before or considered it; thanks Robo!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 02-04-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: forgot the smiley

Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hmmmmm, i hadn't heard of this advantage before or considered it; thanks Robo!
"Advantage"? What are you up to, Orange?
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm